Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear

Swimmers ear is a painful infection of the outer ear canal. This is a guide about treating and preventing swimmers ear.

June 23, 2012 Flag

Anyone who has ever had swimmers ear knows how painful it is. Put equal parts of vinegar and rubbing alcohol into a small bottle with a dropper lid. Close, and shake gently. Put 8 to 10 drops in your ear, tilt your head sideways for a few minutes so the drops don't come out. Then allow to drain. Repeat with the other ear. If you already have swimmers ear use vinegar only.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 14, 2012 Flag

I have an ear infection that has been diagnosed as swimmers ear. It is very painful and my outer ear is swollen and has grainy stuff coming out of the ear canal. What heals this?

By Michele

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Only cure I know of is medicated drops from the doctor. But to prevent this condition: make a solution of 50/50 vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Place a couple drops in your ear while tilting your head toward your shoulder so the solutions stays in the canal, let it stay in your ear a little while (30 seconds) and then drain by tilting your head back to its normal position.

A build up of water that doesn't drain from the ear canal is what causes the problem. My child's doctor told me about this preventive action years ago before they sold "swimmers ear" solutions. The alcohol helps to break up the water and the vinegar reestablished the PH balance in the ear canal.

I had swimmers ear because I washed my hair each day and water got into my ear. Not fun. The vinegar and alcohol solution will not burn unless your ear is irritated. Hope this helps. Didi in Denver

Go to the doctor. You need antibiotic ear drops.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesJune 23, 2012
Treating Ear Mites
Treating Ear Mites
Preventing and Treating Nosebleeds, Concerned Boy With Bloody Nose
Preventing and Treating Nosebleeds
Vet treating dog's ear.
Treating a Dog's Ear Infection
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 18, 2017 at 7:24:51 AM on 10.0.2.128 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.