Turning Soap Slivers Into a New Bar of Soap

What can I do with leftover pieces of soap? Can they be microwaved and reformed?

By Julie L.

Fold a washcloth in half and sew two of the three sides. Toss you soap slivers in there and use it as a self soaping scrubbie!

Or just keep them in a plastic travel soap container until you have enough to melt and reform into a bar.

I've melted them in the microwave a few times, but it can be tricky. Line a small bowl with wax paper, put the slivers in it, and then microwave at 30% power for 15-second increments. When the soap is soft enough to stick together (the bar may be hot), squeeze it in your hands to make sure it's compact, and let it cool down. The bar will feel a little too hard to use the first few times you use it, but after that it will feel (and work) like a regular soap bar. Good luck!

First, I keep a glass rectangular shaped glass pyrex dish in my bathroom to collect soap scraps. Second, when I have to buy soap, I always buy the same soap. This keeps the chemical and fragrance makeup of the soap consistent. Through trial and error, I found it best to cut up the small pieces of scrap soap into smaller more microwave manageable pieces. I cover the dish with a peper towel and 'nuke' them increments of 1-2 minutes depending on your microwave's power until they are all melted. I always keep an eye on it so it doesn't overflow the dish! Don't add water, it just foams up. Don't overload your 'melting dish' as the soap 'poofs up' or almost doubles in size as it melts. After the soap has cooled, just slice it into manageable pieces. As a 70 year old lady on Social Security, I need to save on what I can and I hate waste! HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE OUT THERE!