Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Updating an Old Lamp

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Updating an Old Lamp

Often times an old lamp just needs some refurbishing to give it a new life. This guide is about updating an old lamp.

Solutions: Updating an Old Lamp

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Updating a Lamp

Updating a LampAfter redoing my guest room, my lamp did not match the decor. Instead of purchasing a new one, I simply covered an existing one with fabric to match the room. This is a great way to recycle an outdated lamp.

Approximate Time Less than 30 minutes

• lamp
  • fabric
  • craft knife
  • rubber band
  • ribbon or cord

Instructions:

,li>First, remove the shade from the lamp.

1. Center lamp base on piece of fabric large enough to cover all sides of the base to just below the socket.
  2. Using a craft knife, cut a small "x" near the base where the cord is located. Thread the cord through the cut. (You can apply Fray Chek around the slit if fabric frays easily.)
  3. Gather fabric loosely around base. Arrange fabric so that the folds and gathers are evenly spaced around the lamp.
  4. Secure with a rubber band at the neck of the lamp just below the socket.
  5. Fold raw edges of fabric to the wrong side (in towards lamp, and tuck under the rubber band.
  6. Tie ribbon or cord around neck of lamp to cover the rubber band.
  7. Reattach the lamp shade.

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Tip: Decorated Ceramic Lamp

Decorated Ceramic LampIt's easy (and cheap) to give new life to a boring ceramic lamp.

I purchased the ceramic lamp on sale for $4.99. I used a sponge (cut into a square and rectangle with a utility knife) and a foam stencil brush, some acrylic paint, and some spray gloss.

Dip the sponge stencil and foam brush in the acrylic paint to make a simple design. When dry, spray with a light coat of gloss.

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

Tip: Recycling An Out-Dated Lamp

Lamps are so expensive now, so reinventing an old lamp with a new look saves a lot of money.

Personally, I think lamps are so over priced to begin with. I have taken parts from discarded lamps and made new lamps, even drilled holes in a ceramic vase to incorporate into a "new" lamp; new wire and a socket are inexpensive. I have used hanging lamp globes from yard sale finds and made them into table lamps. Use your imagination and save big time!

I had a '70s lamp with a gold globe and this is what I did.

I bought some eggshell colored wrapping paper that had a sparkle design on it. I tore the paper into small pieces and decoupaged the torn pieces to the globe. It looks really nice; kind of a lacy look from a distance. This lamp also had a small light in the base that you could turn on or not, separate from the main light. I turned on the base light and it added to the decoupage effect.

Decoupage glue can be purchased at any craft store.

It sure saved a bundle I would have spent for a new lamp where you now have to buy the shades separately now.

For those who may not know what decoupage is, here is some helpful information.

Decoupage is a paper decoration method: a technique for decorating something in which a design is made of pieces of printed paper cut out and stuck on a flat base, then coated with varnish.

A decoupage picture: a picture or other form of decoration that is made using decoupage.

Source: Encarta ® World English Dictionary ©

By Syd

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Updating an Old Lamp.

Question: Ideas for Updating a Vanity Light

Light fixture with central mount and two chain mounted globes.Can anyone give me suggestions on how to change the look of my bathroom vanity light without having to call in an electrician? It's an ugly ceiling mount over my sink. The lighting itself is good because it hangs down near the walls on each side. It is flush mounted lighting that is not good over a vanity because of the shadows it puts on your face. Also all the ceiling fixtures I've seen are not for vanities. Have you seen any pretty fixtures that hang this way? I've checked the home improvement stores and looked online and haven't seen anything. Any way to change this look? I don't see how, but my ThriftyFun friends have came up with other solutions that I'd have never thought of.

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth,

Most Recent Answer

By kitkatk100 [6]02/28/2014

Perhaps you could cover (wrap around) the chain with things such as garland, ribbons, bows, flowers, etc. That would hide the chain and make it look pretty. You could even do seasonal themes like Christmas, Valentines Day, etc. Good luck!

Question: Updating an Old Lamp

I have a polished lamp table that I want to give a distressed cream finish. How do I do it?

By Dorothy from England

Most Recent Answer

By Lee Taylor [10]01/11/2010

You need to lightly sand the table to give the paint a way to stick. Wipe off the dust after sanding. Paint the table with one coat of primer and then two coats of paint (whatever color you want.) Then take your sandpaper and sand away the paint in random areas on edges of legs, front and top to get a distressed look. Once you have an overall look you like, you can put a clear finish on it, but you don't have to. Have fun!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Updating an Old Lamp

***

Updating an Old Lamp
*** I took a lamp I've had since the early 70's that was out of style color-wise, so this is what I did to reinvent a more fashionable lamp with a pearled finish.

I bought some wrapping paper with a neutral background that had sparkles. I tore the paper into small pieces and used Plaid Decoupage Glue in glossy finish. I started to paint glue onto the gold colored glass globe base, piece by piece until I covered it.

During this first process, I let some of the glued pieces dry a bit before pasting a new batch of pieces of paper overlapping the others. Continue, pasting until you are happy with the results, then give the covered globe several coats of the Plaid Decoupage gloss finish glue, let dry between coats.

The added bonus, the defused light in the base showed through some of the glued pieces.

The photo shows the before and after!

By Syd from Dunkirk, MD

RE: Updating an Old Lamp

That looks great! Thanks for sharing. (06/07/2007)

By smcarney

RE: Updating an Old Lamp

Call me crazy, but I actually love the original lamp. Another way to update it would be to get a more contemporary shade, maybe a shorter triangular one.

You did a great job though. Easy and clear directions, and the pearl one looks very professionally done. (06/07/2007)

By jess

RE: Updating an Old Lamp

I'm impressed! I would change the shade though. (06/07/2007)

By Beth

RE: Updating an Old Lamp

That really does look updated! Nice work, you have an eye for current style. (06/07/2007)

By Kim Ch

RE: Updating an Old Lamp

This is just the idea I need! I have a lamp close to that style, only smaller. The shade is a dusty rose color and the glass is an awful gold! Ewww! My mom bought it at a garage sale for 50 cents. Thanks for the directions. (06/07/2007)

By SweetCali40

RE: Updating an Old Lamp

This is Syd. Thanks for all the positive comments.

It's hard trying to find a shade that's reasonable. I looked at a few in a lighting decorator shop...Wow! This lamp sits on a marble coffee type table in front of a bow window, so a taller type shade is needed. Maybe I'll find one at a yard sale! The best part is that I still have an old gold one as well as the updated one, in case I want to change things around. (06/08/2007)

By Syd

RE: Updating an Old Lamp

Love this idea! Looks really nice! (06/08/2007)

By frugalmomma

RE: Updating an Old Lamp

Suggestion; replace the electric cord. If it's from the 70's, then it's plumb worn out. Your lamp conversion is truly inspired. (06/09/2007)

By cookwie

RE: Updating an Old Lamp

What a great idea! I have thought of covering different things with paper or cloth in the past, but have never gotten around to it. I see this type of lamp at the thrift stores sometimes, and I love the light in the base but never the color of the glass. Next time I come across a pair cheap enough, I might just give your idea a try. Thanks for the inspiration. (06/09/2007)

By roxanne7