Use Plastic Wrap Under Foil To Avoid Metal Taste

I got this tip from the newspaper and it really works. To avoid the aluminum transfer (and unpleasant metal taste) that often occurs when lasagna or a casserole is covered with foil while it bakes, try this restaurant trick: Simply cover the dish tightly with film or plastic wrap before covering with foil. The film will not melt under the foil, yet will protect the flavor of your dish by avoiding prolonged contact with foil. This works for oven temperatures up to 450 degrees F. I do this with the things I cover and put in the fridge. No more metal taste.

By Opal from Dallas, TX

Answers:

I would check with the manufacturer of the plastic wrap you use before subjecting it to the heat. If you recall, there was a big thing a few years ago about not using plastic wraps in the microwave because the heat caused the release of potentially harmful substances.

I have used the plastic wrap underneath for storage, not so much because of the taste (I never noticed an off taste); but because I'd had the acid in the tomato sauce eat holes in the foil.

(01/25/2007)

By Jilson

Jilson is right in her caution re: plastic wrap. Another thing you might try is to use Reynolds Release Wrap. This keeps the foil from sticking to top of baking casserole, etc. It might keep taste from transferring, too. (01/25/2007)

Roll of Plastic Wrap
Uses for Plastic Wrap
Cleaning Metal
Cleaning Metal
Storing Plastic Wrap, Foil and Wax Paper Boxes
roll of foil
Using Aluminum Foil and Plastic Wrap Correctly
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
🎄