Uses for Plastic Wrap

Category Miscellaneous
There are a variety of ways that food wrap can be useful around the house besides covering food. This guide is about using plastic wrap.

Recently while visiting my sister, her daughter showed up in the middle of the night with her beloved Honey, a beautiful Pit Bull Boxer mix. She was named Honey because she was the color of honey. A hunter had mistaken her for a deer, we can only assume. She was shot in the hindquarters with a large portion of her hip missing. The girl didn't know what to do and no one was open for a few hours yet.

The wound was fairly clean and I thought best not to disturb the tissue until a vet could see her. I took a roll of Saran Wrap and wrapped her entire lower body, to keep it clean and prevent the tissue from being damaged any further. We got her to the vet as soon as they opened and with surgery they were able to save the leg.

The vet said the Saran Wrap was the best thing we could have done. Thought this would be useful to others in an emergency.

After cleaning the outside of my refrigerator, I place plastic wrap or "press 'n seal" over the entire top. Just replace as needed. Saves a lot of elbow grease.

Source: My mom back in the 50s.

By keeper60 from Blue Ridge Mts., NC

To remove stickers or other "sticky" types of labels from hard surfaces, wet the sticker or label with water, then cover it with a piece of plastic wrap. Smooth down the plastic wrap the best you can, to remove air bubbles, and then let it sit for a while. Take off the plastic wrap, and you should be able to remove the sticker or label easily.

A coworker said that her daughter told her about this trick, and I really doubted that it would work. But honestly, it works like a charm! This is great for those of us who sometimes find "treasures" in thrift stores or at garage sales. :) No more need for rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, etc. to remove sticky labels!

By Evan's"mama" from WI

I have a galley kitchen and my fridge is beside my stove, so the side of the fridge gets a lot of cooking spatters. I cover the side of the fridge with plastic "Saran" wrap. It clings well to a clean fridge, catches all the spatters, and is easy to replace when it gets dirty. It sure saves time and money on grease cutting scrubbers. And it goes in the recycling bin!

Source: Me. I got tired of having my fridge look grungy!

By Catastrofy from Winnipeg, Canada

I put my Saran Wrap in the freezer and it never bunches up or sticks together. I had to laugh, because my husband thought I had lost my mind when I did this, but it works.

By Kkotts8 from Franklin Park, IL

When tearing off food wrap film or saran wrap, pull the film back toward and allowing it to touch your body after tearing to keep it from clinging up. Then push the film forward to object to be wrapped so the side that touches your body doesn't touch the food to be wrapped. Great way to keep it from clinging up.

By Don from Nicholasville, KY

When packing to move, use plastic food wrap to enclose your utensil trays, and any tray that you might have in your office desk that holds paper clips, stamps, staples, etc.

I noticed yesterday that Saran Wrap or any other kind of plastic wrap does better if you blow it gently right as you are handling it. It keeps it from getting stuck together.

My stored foods keep fresh two weeks longer by placing a 4 inch square of clear plastic wrap on top of the container before placing the lid on. This acts almost as well as a vacuum seal in preventing air from seeping in.

This tip is handy to avoid bugs in your drink. If you are having a drink outdoors, wrap the top with saran wrap and poke a hole for your straw. This will also avoid spills.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Plastic wrap can have many uses when painting that will help control the spread of wet paint. This is a guide about use plastic wrap when painting.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

To help in the battle with plastic wrap, keep in the freezer until needed. It will quickly warm up and regain its cling.

When did it become acceptable to use plastic wrap in the oven? I've noticed several times recently while watching Food Network that the phrase "put it all in a pan, cover with plastic wrap then foil, and put it in the oven for a couple of hours" usually at around 300 degrees F.

But when they show the foil coming off, I see no indication of plastic wrap under that. When did this become safe? Wouldn't it melt into the food?

By Dee from Lakeland, FL

Answers

I never use foil on our food,don't think it's safe,several years ago they said it might cause Alzheimer's disease,I do not use anything with aluminum in it on my body. I use wax paper in microwave when warming food, good luck.

Anonymous

I don't know what shows on The Food Network are suggesting this but there is absolutely no safe plastic wrap to use in the oven or microwave for that matter :-o You can safely use parchment paper instead!

Don't worry about aluminum:
http://alzheime  amp;pageNumber=1
http://www.eatb  chniques/63.aspx

I use plastic underneath foil whenever I am baking lasagna. No it does not melt and it actually acts like a steamer. I have never had a problem with the plastic as long as I cover it with foil.

Actually foil or plastic is not safe for food. You can use foil if you make a tent of it so it doesn't touch but why not make it a point to buy cookware with lids. Actually you can just buy lids. You can find them at garage sales and resale shops. People used lids before foil and plastic was invented.

I got this tip from the newspaper and it really works. To avoid the aluminum transfer (and unpleasant metal taste) that often occurs when lasagna or a casserole is covered with foil while it bakes, try this restaurant trick: Simply cover the dish tightly with film or plastic wrap before covering with foil. The film will not melt under the foil, yet will protect the flavor of your dish by avoiding prolonged contact with foil. This works for oven temperatures up to 450 degrees F. I do this with the things I cover and put in the fridge. No more metal taste.

By Opal from Dallas, TX

Answers:

Use Plastic Wrap Under Foil To Avoid Metal Taste

I would check with the manufacturer of the plastic wrap you use before subjecting it to the heat. If you recall, there was a big thing a few years ago about not using plastic wraps in the microwave because the heat caused the release of potentially harmful substances.

I have used the plastic wrap underneath for storage, not so much because of the taste (I never noticed an off taste); but because I'd had the acid in the tomato sauce eat holes in the foil.

(01/25/2007)

By Jilson

Jilson is right in her caution re: plastic wrap. Another thing you might try is to use Reynolds Release Wrap. This keeps the foil from sticking to top of baking casserole, etc. It might keep taste from transferring, too. (01/25/2007)