Use Power Strips to Eliminate Energy Waste

Save money at home, cut down on your electric bills. Eliminate the so called "Energy Vampires" that eat electricity while not in use. We connected power strips to most of our electric appliances so we can shut them off without crawling around behind everything to pull the plugs, we just flip the switch on the power strip. Make sure you place the power strips where you can reach them easily. I put one on my microwave oven (I don't need another clock) and the coffee maker. All computers can be shut off this way, the TV, DVD and stereo are all on one power strip, I leave the DVR plugged in because it needs to receive nightly updates.

The cell phone chargers and the printer are on one strip. This really makes a difference on your bill, even if you turn it on in the morning and off at night when you go to bed you will still see a tremendous difference on your bills. If you shut them off every time you turn them off you will save even more. You can leave the bedroom TVs turned on at night, so the remote control will work in the morning, then shut it off all day long when it's not in use.

By Diane from Rochester, MI

Answers:

You will save money doing this. I have put all my electronic equipment on power strips and am saving $20.00-$25.00 on average per month from what I was paying prior to using power strips. The only electronic item not on a power strip is my digital cable TV box. It must stay powered on to receive the programming, tv guide, etc. (12/10/2008)

By St. )ete Ken

In the morning when you turn the power strips on, do you have to reset/reload channels, time, date, etc, on the TV, VCR/DVR, microwave, etc? (12/16/2008)

By susanmajp

I've heard of this before, yet never a percentage estimate on the power bill savings. Just how much would the average Nuclear Family save, I wonder? Woops... Never mind. I see you answered already! Thanks! :) (05/03/2009)

By Jessieflanj

fabric scissors
Cutting Fabric Strips
Freezer
Reducing Your Freezer's Energy Consumption
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
power outage kitchen
Cooking When the Power Goes Out
🎄