Simple Things We Can Do To Save Energy

1. Educate yourself to understand your utility bills and each line item and charge included in your bill. Knowledge can save you money!

2. Review your monthly bills carefully. Look for unexpected increases in your usage. This could signal a larger problem (water leak, decaying caulk around windows, etc)

3. Raise your thermostat 2 degrees in the summer and lower it 2 degrees in the winter. Wear a sweater when you're cold

4. Take advantage of ON-DEMAND conservation if your utility companies offer it. Mine credits my bill $5 during the warmest months ($20 annually) by switching on and off my units with no adverse effect to my homes cooling

5. UNPLUG anything plugged into an electrical outlet pulls current even when it is turned off. Unplug anything you can when it is not in use!

6. Yes, your father was right! TURN OFF THE LIGHT when you leave a room. This goes for computers too.

7. Pay your bill automatically via your checking account. You'll save the price of a stamp each month and never make a late payment. Plus, this is a free service

8. Take advantage of energy audits if offered by your utility company. They'll suggest ways to reduce your energy consumption. They are generally free

9. Use high efficiency lighting by replacing your incandescent bulbs with CFL light bulbs

10. Close blinds and curtains during the hottest part of the day to reduce super heating your home. This works well in the winter months to keep out the cold at night!

11. When replacing appliances, purchase the most energy efficient you can afford.

12. Showers use less water than baths

13. Collect water in a container to water your plants while waiting for the water to heat up for your shower.

14. Install low flow showerheads.

15. Employ a timer when taking a shower to reduce the amount of water that goes down the drain.

16. Reduce the water in your washing machine to match the size of the load. Wash only full loads. Wash in cold water whenever possible.

17. When possible, allow clothes to air or line dry.

18. Sign up for the budget plan, if your utility company offers it. The budget plans, bills you a set amount for a set period of time (usually 6 months) calculated from your previous utilization. This helps you avoid a nasty $400 bill when you least expect it. It's easier to budget your energy costs.

These savings tips are not painful and will help your pocketbook while helping the environment.

By Diana from Prospect, KY

22 More Solutions

How I save energy in my home is really easy. I start with the fridge since it is one of the items in the home that uses the most energy. When I take a jug of milk out, I replace it with another filled with water.

Did you know that by using LED light bulbs instead of regular light bulbs, you can lower your lighting bill by 75%? Also lighting is about 12% of your electric bill (the rest is AC, heat, and appliances).

An LED lightbulb on a bed of leaves.

I purchased white night lights that have an on/off switch from the dollar store, for all over our house. We find they put out plenty of light.

If you seldom use your computer's peripherals, save money by plugging those devices into a separate plug-strip that you can switch 'on and off'. Even if you have your devices turned off, those little transformers are still drawing watts if plugged in.

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh

Sometimes it's okay not to listen to your mother. You can wear white any time of the year and leaving your air conditioner running when you're not home doesn't save money.

Boy Putting Quarter in Piggy Bank

I save on utility bills by air-drying virtually ALL of my laundry. In good weather, I use my backyard clothesline (my environmentally friendly solar-powered dryer).

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh

With the end of many states' electric rate freezes, the cost of electricity is rising at an alarming rate. Even if you're still protected under a frozen rate, it's not a bad idea to alter habits now.

Simple Tips to Save Electricity

Here are some simple ideas for saving energy, from gasoline to electricity. Do you have some ideas that are not mentioned in this list. Please add them, below.

Energy Saving Window Covers. To save on high gas bills, I replaced the curtains on the Northwest side of my home with black 3 mil paper. The paper absorbs the heat from the sun and prevents the leaking of warm air inside to the outside. . .

Video game consoles use a lot of energy, and they waste a lot of energy when not being used. You will save 75% of that energy, if you turn them off when they're not being used.

Even though fuel prices have dropped a bit, I still save as much as I can. I live in a hilly area. Whenever I can, I put my car in neutral and coast. I seem to be saving a few gallons every mont, it adds up!

Many electrical devices draw electricity even when they are turned off, which adds to your bill. A lot of them have displays or lights. To make sure you are not using any electricity, unplug them. The pictures show the thermometer displays on the window fan even if it is turned off.

A fan with the electric display turned off.

Saving money from your electrical bills by simply unplugging your appliances or turning off your surgers, especially if you have a digital TV. Turning off your surger that the digital TV is plugged into will save your TV life too.

I just read this on "Earth Easy", great tips:

To help keep gas and electricity bills down, slow down your water when you take a shower. For some reason we think we need it on all the way.

In your office, while not using your equipment, keep these items turned off or in "sleep" mode, until ready to use and turn off immediately after each use.

The best thing you can do to reduce your cooling costs and protect your HVAC system is change your filter monthly. A dirty filter increases the energy needed to cool air, and it can damage equipment. Make it a point to change the filter when the month changes.

Load More
Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergySeptember 7, 2011
🌻
🐛
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf33659171.tip.html