Uses for Chewing Gum

Category Reusing
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
In addition to keeping your breath fresh to blowing bubbles, versatile chewing gum can be used for a variety of tasks. This is a guide about uses for chewing gum.

After my son suffered through a few ear infections while in kindergarten, our Doctor recommended letting our son chew gum along with a dose of our choice of kids' cold medicine the next time the sniffles were coming on.

His reasoning? Unlike an adult, whose tubes have hardened up, a child's ear tubes are flexible and collapse easily under a lot of drainage (like when having a normal cold) If the fluid cannot drain, an ear infection is sure to come. Chewing the gum will help keep the tubes open, allowing for drainage and possibly avoiding infections. We did it, kept on doing it through the years and he never had another ear infection. He's now in high school. Definitely worth asking your own Doctor about.

Of course this isn't an option if your child still swallows gum! Mine didn't, but I still kept a close eye on him while he chewed it. Good time to read a book or watch a movie together.

Source: Our family doctor

By Cakeluv from Henry, TN

This is a great "Winter Tip" my dad told me about years ago. In the winter back here in the North East, I did not have a garage. My car doors were locked at night. When I went to try to get into my car the next morning to head off to work, the lock was frozen. Apparently the moisture goes into the key slot area and freezes.

My dad suggested I take a piece of my gum I was chewing and press it over the key area, which I did. The next morning, I barely bumped the small frozen solid patch of gum off the keyhole area to find my key area was not frozen! Worked like a charm!

Also, laying a small rug, piece of grass carpet over the windshield will keep ice and snow off with a few seconds to remove the cover. Stay warm!

Source: my dad

By Missy MM from OH

If you do not mind chewing gum, chew it when your stomach is a bit queasy or upset. I recommend a mint type of gum, not the fruity type. I have been doing this for many years and it has always helped me.

My daughter in law would chew gum when she felt a bit unwell while pregnant and it helped her.

I recently read that doctors recommend this to patients who had any type of digestive surgery.

As with everything, what works for one may not work for others. It is worth a try, especially when your stomach is a bit upset.

I recommend Stride gum. It has a good flavor and lasts a long time. It is also good for blowing bubbles. My young grandchildren are amazed and stare when I blow bubbles. I make it a point to chew gum when I see them.

By mkymlp from NE PA

If you are trying lose weight, before you do anything with food, stick a piece of gum in your mouth! That why you will not "taste" the food to see if it is good!