Uses for Cookie Tins

This is a guide about uses for cookie tins. These handy containers are often very decorative as they are, or can be dressed up and reused for a variety of things.

December 23, 2009 Flag

Got some cute cookie tins? Looking for a shortcut to some gift wrapping? I always seem to be running behind and find myself furiously cutting and taping wrapping on Christmas Eve!

Last year I remembered the nice cookie containers I'd received a couple of weeks earlier at our annual cookie exchange. The cookies were in the freezer and the tins were washed and tucked away out of sight. So I took them out of storage and put them to use as "gift boxes" for small items, gift certificates, etc.

It worked out so well that I'm definitely going to use some again this year! The more unusual shapes are great. This year I'm including a star-shaped tin and a tin with a lid that opens like a treasure chest.

Saves paper, tape, and ribbons, puts those pretty cookie tins on display once again, and it's a great way for everybody to recycle them year after year!

By Janet from Howell, MI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

Since the cookie tins are eminently reusable, you're really giving two gifts in one this way! Wonderful!

Top Comment

Great idea! For those of us who didn't have a stock of cookie tins (I just moved into apt from motor home) the great tins with ribbons for cheap at Walgreens this Christmas season was a terrific money saver. I made macaroons for the residents of my Senior Apts. and added some colored tissue paper. They loved the tins (and the macaroons!)

November 8, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about crafts made with cookie tins. If you are trying to decide what to do with all of your holiday cookie tins, here are some ideas.

A cookie tin with butter cookies.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 10, 2008 Flag

With the holidays approaching, its a great time to repurpose those cookie tins. Square and rectangular cookie tins (top and bottom) make great drawer organizers which can be very expensive when bought at the store. They can also be used in tool boxes, in art boxes, for crayons, and for other more "industrial" strength purposes where a regular box might not hold up.

By Amy from Dublin, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 12, 2008 Flag

What can I do with those left over cookie\candy tins? I know that there have to be some type of crafting I can do with them but I need ideas!

Sheila from NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use the small tins for sharing homemade goodies to the younger kids, bigger tins for the teens or familys.

Tins are good to store keepsakes in.

Best Answer

If you are a crafter, they are great. You can either use them to store all of one item, such as all of your embrodiery floss or all of a certain type of bead, etc.

Or... you can use one as a place to keep together what you need for a certain project (cross-stich, latch hook, etc), it keeps everything together and portable, and with the varying sizes, you can find one that's perfect for nearly every project!

Best Answer

My beautiful Grandmother filled a cookie tin with my first sewing supplies, and gave it to me as a birthday present. I've used it for over 40 years. It reminds me that hand sewing was an essential skill when she was young. The new-fangled orange handeled sissors were in it, and I am still using them!

Londa

Best Answer

I saw an idea on here from someone else...they made a 'hugs and kisses' tin

Painted in a relevant way for the recipient with 'hugs and kisses' painted on it and then for it to be filled with lovely chocs...individually wrapped....and a hand made label attached for someone special for if ever they need a hug or kiss to take a scrummy choc and think of you ....

ooooooh I thinks its a lovely gift for children leaving home...grandparents etc

Best Answer

Fill them with homemade candy or cookies and give them away!

Best Answer

Halloween Decoration - I paint my tins in black or orange craft paint and fill them with spider webbing. I have the webbing spill out a little bit. Add spiders, insects, maybe a frog. Put a wooden spoon on top of the decoration. A witches cauldron for a table centerpiece!

Best Answer

A few years ago I made some clocks out of the cookie tins. I drilled a hole in the lid to accomodate the clock works purchased at the hobby store. I also drilled a hole in the bottom of the tin so you could hang it on the wall. Attach the numbers on the front with glue and you are good to go. They made wonderful gifts!

I have a rather large one that I keep all my buttons in. I just glued some to the lid and keep it on my sewing machine.

Remove the lid,paint the outside(and inside if desired). Collect miniature items and doll furniture(don'f forget the doll or other figures) and make a shadowbox scene to decorate a wall. You can also pad the lid with batting and a pretty fabric and make a giant pincushion. Put all kinds and style of pins inside for the person,s(or your own) use.

I saw an idea and it might have been on Thrifty Fun. Fill the inside with silk flowers or greenery (think a foam block was used) and the tiny white lights. Sort of on the idea of the potpourri jars w/lights, etc. except you'd want the contents upright (thus the foam block). Depending on what kind of tin; whether you would have to change the outside.

I'm not doing a good job of explaining, but maybe you get the idea.

Crafts Recycled Crafts ContainersNovember 9, 2016
A cookie tin with butter cookies.
Crafts Made With Cookie Tins
Uses for Cookie Tins
Reusing Tins
Game made form an Altoids tin.
Crafts Made Using Altoids Tins
Altoids and Other Mint Tins
Uses for Altoid Candy or Mint Tins
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 1:03:28 PM on 10.0.0.74 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.