Uses for Dryer Lint

Category Other
Uses for Dryer Lint
Lint from the dryer can be used for a few things around the house and for fire starter. This is a guide about uses for dryer lint.

Uses for dryer lint. Post your ideas!

Hang Dry Instead

Dryer lint is an expensive commodity. It represents the life being worn from your clothes by the action and heat of the dryer. I know that's why I won't dry anything of mine any more. I get it out and hang it up to dry or put it on the line.

By Joe

Stuffing Toys

A great tip I found by accident using dryer lint is stuffing for small dolls and teddy bears. I was making my girls small bears and ran out of stuffing. I needed to finish them and it was too late to go to the store so I was searching my laundry room for some extra and came across my bag of "lint". I quickly grabbed it and stuffed away. The bears smell great and are soft and washable.

By Melissa

Nesting Material for Birds

To "help" the birds build a nice warm nest this spring to hatch their babies, toss some lint from your dryer lint screen onto the branches of your trees. They'll sing their gratitude as they use it for nesting material!

By LS from Michigan

Worms Or Compost

Dryer lint can make great food for worms! Toss it into your local friendly worm farm or into a compost heap and it'll be turned into lovely healthy soil for your garden! You can also use it to stuff home-made cushions, or stuffed toys, if your worm farm isn't in existence yet!

By Ricky

Insulation

Since we live in a very old, drafty farmhouse, I noticed there are little nooks and crannies that let cold air in the house. I have been using the lint from the dryer as a "draft dodger". I make sure it is not near anything electrical. It has worked great!

By Michelle

Make Paper

This may sound a little corny but you can use it to make paper. There is a way to do it involving hot water, glue, a screen and a heavy pressing object. It's been awhile since I've done it. Check your local library for a few books on it to get it right. We did something with dandelions in elementary school to do it but I did it at home with dryer lint until my mom got tired of all the places my "paper" was drying dripping on her floor.

By Katzprizim

Dryer Lint Clay

Ingredients

Here's recipes for making clay out of dryer lint.

Directions

Place the lint in a saucepan and cover it with the water. When the lint is saturated, add the flour and stir until it is smooth. Add the drops of wintergreen oil flavoring. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it forms peaks and holds together. Pour it onto newspaper to cool. Shape and model figures, or cover a form with it, such as a balloon. Allow to dry for 3 to 5 days, then paint and decorate as required.

By homeschoolin_mum

Dryer Lint Clay a Success

My experimentation with dryer lint clay was a success! I made a wonderful bowl out of it. When I removed the mixture from the stove, I poured it onto an overturned glass bowl that had 2 sheets of tissue paper over it (the big ones, like the ones used in wrapping presents). I then used my batter spatula to spread it around the base of the bowl. It was thick enough that it spread like gooey cake frosting, but it didn't run at all.

It took days to dry, but the texture is wonderful, and since that dryer load must have had something dark in it, the bowl is like a deep denim/ navy gray color with white flecks (although I suspect those are clumps of flour - I can't stress enough to make sure you don't just dump it all in the pot at one time - like I did!) And don't try to use a whisk or you'll be picking strands of fiber (and hair) out of it! Heheheh, What fun! AND depending on what you've been drying, the colors will change!

By Nancy

Artwork

I remember a beautiful picture made from lint at a Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum. I always wanted to try to make a picture after that.

By Sandy

Mix 1/2 cup of flour with 1 cup of Sta-Flo liquid starch, then add to dryer lint as needed to form shapes on a piece of plywood. Continue adding various shapes and colors, mixing with the Sta-Flo recipe as needed for the right texture. Allow to dry thoroughly, spray with sealer.

Sounds corny, but if you use your imagination you can make an impressive piece of art. Others will admire your work and not know what it is made from if you do it right.

By KAREN

Fire Starter

You can put this lint to use if you have a wood stove. The soft batts of lint ignite quickly and help set kindling ablaze.

By Joesgirl

The "fluff" in your dryer lint screen makes great fireplace tinder. You can ball it up and use to start fires quickly

By Doggy

A friend showed me how to melt used candles/wax in a coffee can in a pan of simmering water. Stuff the lint into cardboard egg cartons. Carefully, pour the melted wax over the lint. Let dry then use a couple of the "lint/wax eggs" as fire starters in the fireplace. We have used these for 3-4 years .They work just fine.

By Vi

Don't throw away your dryer lint if you have a fireplace or go camping. Fill toilet paper or paper towel tubes with dryer lint and newspaper. Close the ends and you have a great fire starter!

By Melissa Z.

I make the filling for quilts, stuff toys, and my favorite fire starters. For the fire starters, I use the cardboard egg cartons, use wick, wax and lint, melt the wax, put lint in the egg carton, with the wick under it, then pour the wax over it. Use 1 to start for fire.

By Cindy

Be careful when you burn dryer lint. How it burns will depend VERY much on what the lint is made out of! Anything man made will melt, smoke, smell like burning plastic, and put out fumes you don't want to be around. Cotton, wool, or linen dryer lint, on the other hand, is fine. If you have a question, take some outside in your driveway and burn it. If it turns into little hard beads, don't put it in your fireplace.

By Kathy K.

Top Comment

I think I'd rather take my chances with a "flammable" fill I collected myself than with the nasty, chemical-laden and "fire-resistant" fills used for pillows and mattresses, made from petroleum products and who-knows-what-else. Short of fermentation or spontaneous combustion, I can't imagine how a lint-filled pillow or stuffed animal would catch fire; and obviously our clothes are made of the same fibers yet we don't generally worry about our clothes suddenly bursting into flame. Even if pillows or clothing do catch fire, something that burns cleanly without melting into liquid plastic is still much safer, I would think.

Come on ppl. The fibers in the lint come from your own clothes. I don't see a problem stuffing your kids toys with them. Unless you have random fires set in your house why would it matter.

I save the lint to use in the holes wrapped around plants when putting in garden. Keeps moisture in and really helps roots of the plants, especially in a dry season, water stays where it needs to go.

Peg

Dryer lint makes a great firestarter for emergencies, especially if it's rainy or there's no time to look for tinder when you're backpacking or camping or if your car breaks down.

I occasionally save a small bag of dryer lint for this purpose, as well as a small bag of paper birch bark.

BUT YOU MUST KEEP IT DRY, OR IT WILL DO YOU NO GOOD!!!

PMZ

i have saved quite alot of dryer lint to "do something with"

not really knowing WHAT --

thought a little about clay so THANK YOU for posting the recipe homeschoolin_mum & didn't think of paper making - so THANKS Katzprizim

& I lived in a really drafty old house & used my dryer lint to tuck into cracks around a door - so THANKS for reminding me Michelle

& I haven't stuffed toys with it but thats a good idea Melissa

& I used to send my son off to Scout campouts with a bag of dryer lint for the firestarters

like you mentioned Doggy

I know they say the dryer will do better if you remove the lint all the time- sometimes we forget

& i had a bad experiance with the dryer & wanting to save a little money by hanging out clothes on the line :

in the fall when i wanted to use the dryer again - MICE had gotten into it & chewed wires so I had to get a repairman !

SO- be sure to run it every so often for a little bit - even if it's just on airfluff

to scare rodents out of it !

Melody,

With the change of seasons where I live, I always look forward to spring when I can use my clotheslines outdoors, too! Also wanted to tell you I love the angel graphic and saying under your post!

We make fire starters this way. Take a egg carton the cardboard ones. Fill each cup with lint. After they are full pour paraffin on top to seal them and use them as fire starters. Or melt down those half burnt candles you never know what to do with. That burn right down the middle.

Please Do Not Use dryer lint to stuff toys! It is highly flammable! Keep those precious children safe.

I recently saw a new pincushion in a local quilting shop. It looked like it had been made from a big ball of dryer lint. There were various colors visible in it and it had been molded into a large ball shape with a flat base. Does anyone have any idea how to process dryer lint to achieve a pincushion like this? I have searched but so far have not seen anything online for making such a thing.

Dryer lint is extremely flammable. Please keep this in mind when you are deciding to use it to stuff your childrens toys with it or use it for pillow stuffings. If you wouldn't put flammable pj's on your kids at bed time then please don't make them flammable toy and pillows.

I made a Halloween Mask with dryer lint. I mixed the dryer lint with white glue (like Elmers) to form a paste.

Mold Aluminum Foil to face...several layers of foil work best.

Remove from face and carefully put the paste on the inside of the foil mask. You may need to support parts of mask to keep it from falling.

Leave to dry - this make take days

When dry you can trim or cut out the parts you don't want.

Paint and punch holes on the sides of the mask to string ribbons thru.

This makes a really durable mask that will last years and is custom fit to your face.

Has anyone had success using dryer lint as a pest repellant for rabbits, deer, etc.?

If this works, I'd prefer this to chemical sprays or killing the rabbits.

Hello. I do not thing suggesting stuffing children's toys with such a flammable substance is a good idea. I would actually recommend using dryer lint for purposes as starting fires. I wouldn't keep dryer lint near anything I didn't want on fire.

You know I've been searching sites about uses for dryer lint, and have found nothing on the things I happen to use dryer Lint for.

I use Lint to make CANDLE WICKS, as well as ROPE. I roll my own rope the same way Indians used to make rope from plant fibers. its a long project but i tell you Lint makes a good strong Rope. I make small Ropes to use as a candle wick and they work great. My candles are made from bacon fat or beef fat. I use the tallow I make. I get about 24 hours or more from one candle, or you can use the tallow and chunks of Lint saturated in fat in a large metal bowl as an outdoor space heater or cooker.

I'm an 8th grade student working on using dryer lint for insulation. So far it seems to be an okay idea. Just wondering what you thought...Thanks!

hellopf, The pincushion you saw might have been made out of wool by dry felting, also called needle felting. I just started doing this craft and it is really amazing what you can form just by poking wool with a needle! You could probably find pictures on google images to see if it's similar to what you saw.

(Posted via email)

You should remove the idea to use it as stuffing for dolls, etc. Dryer lint is EXTREMELY flammable and should NEVER be used for anything to do with children. Jenna

(Posted via email)

Lint makes really good firetarters. I found a cool website- www.lintlogs.weebly.com - that is selling lint fire starters for a good cause.

I have always heard that dryer lint is extremely flammable and would never recommend it in anything for children. I would never use it as insulation as it would only make your home burn that much faster if it ever did catch fire. I do however find that dryer lint composts very well. Just add it in between layers of other organic materials that you put in your compost and it will work its way through with the rest of your compost material.

Don't throw away your dryer lint! In the winter birds love it to line their nest with. Also, if you burn wood, it makes a great fire starter. I stuff ours in toilet paper tubes and light the end. Works every time.

By mom-from-missouri

Hey! Great idea! I put out the pet and human hair from our brushes, didn't think about the dryer lint!

Putting the lint in th empty toilet paper rolls is a great idea. You can then use it to light charcoal in the bbq chimney.

Don't use fabric softener sheets, it can be toxic.

As an avid birder please DO NOT use dryer lint as nesting material there are perfumes, soap residue and most important it doesn't make good nesting material as dryer lint hardens after getting wet providing a poor nest for baby birds and the birds can get trapped in the hardened lint.

Safe things to use are pet hair cat and dog hair are great, natural cotton balls and cotton yarn cut no longer than 3 inches. Stuff into an old onion mesh sack or an unused suet cage and hang from trees and bushes. Then enjoy the hours of fun watching the birds come and take the nesting materials and know you are providing safe, warm and soft things for the mother bird and her babies. Enjoy :)

Please do not reuse the netted onion/produce bags for the wild birds. The birds' feet and/or legs can become tangled in the mesh. I have experienced this happening when I used these bags when feeding them. Luckily I was home to help the bird. It was not an easy thing to do. It was very stressful for the bird and for me. The suet cage is safer to use. Save these bags for other uses in your home.

Good to know. Personally I buy pre made nesting material and then add my own pet hair. :)

Thanks. Good to know. I personally buy nesting balls from the unlimited bird store and then add extra things to it. :)

I belong to a national birding club and their advise is not to use dryer lint. As in the previous post, there are toxins in the lint, when it gets wet it emits these toxins and is very deadly to the baby birds and their parents.

We sort of got off topic here, but I was glad to see the information about the onion/net bags for birds. I had been thinking of using them but will scratch that idea.

I don't think my dryer lint would be very good for birds as I do like to use fabric softener but I sure am accumulating lots of cat hair as my kitty sheds this time of year. I guess I'll just put the fur in the yard.

I love the great ideas here!

When my daughter was younger, she made hundreds of miniature stuffed animals, dolls, personalized pillows, and so forth, using fabric scraps. Even with the fabric free, of course, cotton batting or fiber-fill would have cost money to stuff her creations. So, she stuffed them with dryer lint!

It sounds odd, but realize that the lint caught in the dryer has just been thoroughly washed in the washer. It's clean, soft, and free. For a while, she sewed so many dolls that she even had our family's friends collecting their dryer lint for her. She repaid their favor with little stuffed mice and other novelty dolls, which they loved.

So, don't discard it. Use it! I had a stuffed tiger when I was small, whose original stuffing looked like dryer lint, whether it actually was or not. We got the idea from that.

By Sterghe from Pennsylvania

Just remember that dryer lint is extremely flammable!

This is SUCH a great idea! Thank You!

Anonymous

I love your stuffing idea! I really like the idea because it's not chemically treated like store bought! A good point was made about being flammable but store bought stuffing is also flammable. Store bought is less flammable but contains flame resistant chemical toxins that can cause serious health issues not just to humans but also to the environment.

When I was a little girl we had a neighbor lady who would collect hair from haircuts and use that for stuffing :-)

Please everybody reading this, do NOT use dryer lint as it is one of the most volatile flammable things you could possibly use as stuffing. You can use dryer lint to make fire starters for your fireplace. Use old pantyhose or go and buy stuffing. Dryer lint is made up mostly of fine dust particles. That's why it's imperative to clean your lint filter after every load. Also periodically check your vent hose to make sure it's free of clogs. I got all this information from the Heloise Household Hints.

I had a bunch of jeans I cut up for the fabric. I then made simple cat shaped patterns, sewed them with the seams out, and called them "Fray D. Kats"!

Know what I stuffed them with? Plastic bags! Yep, if your project is for collection and unlikely to be washed and dried, you are fine to use this recycled and free stuffing.

Another great one is old pantyhose. I have also used old tee shirts that weren't good for anything. I cut the ribbing off, wash them and cut them up into 6" by 6" pieces.

Human hair is great for pin cushions!

I wouldn't use lint, it's flammable.

Not only is it flammable, it clumps up, and it's not very washable. It's a dingy color which may show through light colored fabric.

After finishing up my Folgers Decaf instant coffee, I looked at the container and thought it would be perfect for holding dryer lint. I gave it a try and found that it works great. It takes up just a little space and the flip top lid is so convenient.

Dryer Lint Container

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

Since dryer lint is mostly organic material, it is great for the compost pile.

Makes about 8 cups of modeling clay. You may shape over objects or press into a mold or use the same as you would use paper-maché pulp. It takes 3 to 5 days to dry to a very hard surface.

This is a guide about pet dust bunnies. If you are looking for a clever gag gift that doesn't cost much; here it is. These cuties are made of recycled dryer lint.

pet dust bunnies craft

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Even dryer lint can be recycled. I recycle it in 3 different ways.

Recycling Dryer Lint - TP tube filled with dryer lint

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

If you use fabric softener, is it safe to use the dryer lint to put out for the birds to line their nest? Would it be dangerous for the baby birds? I know you are not suppose to rub the sheets on your animals.

By Lapras from TX

Answers:

Dryer Lint for Bird Nests

I do not know if it is safe, but I have seen it locally in nests---then saw they were getting it under my porch, where the duct exits the house. It is good to save for firestarters, along with pinecones, paper junk mail, etc, to use in winter to get the fire going. (04/07/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Dryer Lint for Bird Nests

You can avoid using artificial fabric softener by using vinegar instead and putting dryer balls in your dryer. I picked mine up at the dollar store. I get a little static after drying fleece blankets but a little shake gets it out. Then it is safe to put your dryer lint out for the birds, and they love it. (04/11/2009)

By msspider

Dryer Lint for Bird Nests

It is safe. I use the plastic onion sacks and put dryer lint, snake skins (we have reptile pets), dog fur, yarn, etc. in them and hang from trees for the birds in our area. We use softener sheets in our dryer, but they do not affect the birds per our state DEM website. (04/11/2009)

By njdespres

I cannot remember where I read about it, but this is a great way to recycle your dryer lint.

It's cold outside! Save your dryer lint and stuff it in your birdhouses. This will help to keep the birdies warm and cozy in the winter and spring. :)

By Gooby from Straughn, IN

Answers:

Dryer Lint for Bird Nests

It's best to leave it somewhere where they can build their nest inside the birdhouse themselves otherwise they might not use the house because of the human scent on the dryer lint. If the lint is out in the open in a dry spot the human scent will go away much more quickly. (12/18/2009)

By Deeli