Uses for Healthy Choice Meal Containers

Category Reusing
Healthy Choice Meal Container
Finding uses for plastic microwave trays is thrifty and keeps them out of the landfill. This guide is about uses for Healthy Choice meal containers.

If you are trying to eat healthier and steam vegetables in your microwave, a bowl from Healthy Choice steamers works well time after time. You will also be recycling at the same time. I love not having to drag out my strainer all the time.

By christine IN

Anonymous

I absolutely love your idea but if the basket has a recycle number stamped on the bottom that is anything other than #2, #4 or #5 it is not safe to reuse for food or beverages (especially in a microwave) because of chemicals that leach from the plastic. :-( If there is no number stamp I would call the 800 number for Healthy Choice and ask them what the recycle number is for the basket.

This also makes a great single size pasta serving too!

I posed the question to ConAgra about reusing the bowls and the following

is taken from an e-mail from ConAgra's Consumer Relations Dept:

"Thank you for your email concerning our Healthy Choice® Cafe Steamers, a product of ConAgra Foods.

We do not recommend re-using the Cafe Steamers bowls. Our Healthy Choice Café Steamers packaging was designed to maximize quality and performance of our packaging, while providing the best possible value to our consumers. We do not recommend or warrantee the bowl and basket for multiple or alternate uses. "

I want to confirm the use of these for plant plates that catch water and keep the plant from sitting in water.

All the ideas were good. One more: the inner strainer can be used to put a pretty design on cakes, cookies or when painting.

My daughter asked if she could have a couple of my empty containers from Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers. These are the microwavable meals with the green lids with holes in the lids. She said they are perfect for the grandkids and great grandkids to use to catch and hold bugs such as lightning bugs.

By Linda from IL

I use mine, either with or without the inner steamer tray, under indoor plants to protect the furniture from water drainage. They are sturdier than the flimsy clear plastic ones you can buy from a garden center so they don't crack. Using the inner steamer tray can protect a plant from over-watering, too. Of course they work for outdoor plants as well.

This may have been a good tip if more information was given.

Are the bowls from Healthy Choice Steamers dishwasher safe?

By T.D.

You might ask the company as it appears no one here know.

Anonymous

I've washed them many times.

Anonymous

Yes, I used top rack and came out great!

Reuse Healthy Choice Steamer Baskets
Reuse Healthy Steamer Basket As Mini Colander

I recently bought one of those Healthy Choice Steamers, and because I recycle, cleaned the steamer basket and the bowl it was in. Almost immediately my brain went into overdrive.

I hate using and cleaning a large colander for just one can of olives or corn, etc. So, why not keep one of these in your house. I poured in a can of olives and lifted the basket, to find it worked perfectly!

All the juice went to the bottom (some will stay with the food till you pick it up), and I had a nice little "colander" that rinses clean in a jiffy!

You could also use it for your hook style earrings by hanging it bottom side out on your bathroom wall or unfold a small paperclip to hang necklaces from.

Any other crafty people out there who can think of cool things to use this basket for are welcome to chime in!

By Sandra from Salem OR

Answers:

Reuse Healthy Choice Steamer Baskets

I had never heard of these Healthy Choice Steamers, until this posting, but you can bet I'll be trying them. Good idea on reusing the little colander. This would be great for a single person living alone or for cans of things like olives and canned corn as you suggested. Thanks for the tip, I especially like the earring idea! (09/30/2008)

By Cyinda

Reuse Healthy Choice Steamer Baskets

I use it to rinse a handful or single serving of fruits or veggies. These little things are great. I find myself not wanting to throw any away. (09/30/2008)

By

Reuse Healthy Choice Steamer Baskets

I love the Whiskey Steak, and now I have a use for the bowl! Thanks for a great idea! (10/02/2008)

By bailegirl

Reuse Healthy Choice Steamer Baskets

My daughter sometimes will use the steamer basket as a bathtub toy. Using them as a mini colander should have been a no-brainer to me, but that's what y'all are here for! :-) (04/01/2009)

By gapotter

Anonymous

Great ideas! I think these would be fun as sandbox toys, kids might enjoy watching the sand sift through. I was also thinking about using it as a little light defuser, by putting those battery operated "candle lights" in them. Just put the colander part on top of the bowl, bottom up.

I agree that these are just too cute to throw away. Why not use them to steam small portions of frozen veggies in the microwave? I'm going to try it...