Uses for Leftover Halloween Candy

Category Helpful Hints
A bowl of Halloween candy.
Sometimes you can end up with too much candy after this holiday. This guide is about uses for leftover Halloween candy.

Our orthodontist's office has a creative idea to turn your Halloween candy into cash! For each pound of candy that is brought to their office, Dr. Alvarez will pay $2.00. You get to keep $1.00 per pound and the other dollar per pound will be donated to the American Diabetes Association. They have a scale there and of course, they will round up! In addition, the candy that they buy from the children will be donated to an organization that sends care packages to our troops overseas. November is American Diabetes Month. Help make a difference!

Source: Dr. Alvarez of Alvarez Orthodontics in Center Valley, PA.

By Wendy S from Coopersburg, PA

I picked up sale candy after Halloween and hid it in empty food containers. A coffee can, an onion soup box; containers my kids wouldn't ever bother with. Then I was able to sneak my own treats without them knowing I had any. It was a good Halloween trick, and I got my treats. I will be doing this for any other stash I can get my hands on. They'll never know! :)

If you haven't stocked up on leftover Halloween chocolates yet - you still may be lucky and have time! Sometimes they are reduced by as much as 75%! It's a little work but unwrap the individual pieces and chop or food process them. Then freeze for future use in cookies or as toppings! Brownies are GREAT with a few single solid milk chocolate bars melted on top as the brownies cool!

By Veronica from Sedalia, Missouri

Use leftover Halloween candy (or any other holiday candies) for frosting. For candy corn, add a few drops of water to the candy and microwave until it is smooth consistency. Try tootsie rolls, candy bars, or other candy. This is also good drizzled over popcorn.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Too much candy left from Halloween? My kids came up with an idea to swap their favorites with each other. They keep half and we send the other half to our troops. We have a niece in boot camp and our school sends shoe boxes overseas. They save all the hard candy that won't melt and donate to a worthy cause. It's a great lesson in sharing and compassion.

By Wendy S from Coopersburg, PA

As I was browsing the Halloween candy at Big Lots today, most of the chocolate (i.e. Hersheys, Milky Way, etc were $1.78 for the 11-12 oz size bag. Then I noticed they had also tagged the 22 oz bags of 1 kind with the same price tags. I bought enough to use in Christmas gift baskets (I'll just remove the orange ones). Careful looking pays off!

By Linda

With Halloween coming up I would like to know if anyone has a cookie or brownie type recipe to use up left over candy.

By Pam from Eaton, NH