Uses for Leftover Coffee

Here's a couple of tips to make use of leftover coffee.

Instead of reusing coffee grounds as some people do, I reuse the leftover coffee itself. It seems that nobody wants to drink the last cup or two in the pot in our house so, instead of throwing it down the sink, I blend it with the fresh pot. I decrease the fresh grounds for the new pot I'm making by a scoop or two and mix the fresh water with the leftover coffee from the previous pot. I've been doing this for years; it hasn't damaged the coffeemaker and I still get compliments for making a good cup of coffee.

Leftover coffee can also be used when making iced coffee or a smoothie. Freeze leftover coffee in ice cube trays and use coffee cubes instead of plain ice.

Coffee cubes added to gravy or stew gives a lovely color and taste.

Believe it or not, coffee makes an awesome after shower hair rinse for dark haired people and it smells great.

Source: Years of living on a tight budget.

By Wilhelmina from Amherstburg, ON

12 More Solutions

When I have left over coffee that I did not have time to finish, I put it in ice cube trays and freeze, then I put in a ziplock bag. If I feel like having iced coffee or mocha, I put it in the blender. Pour into a glass and enjoy!

I freeze left-over coffee in an ice tray to use for iced coffee. when you make fresh coffee to pour over the coffee isn't diluted. It makes coffee beverages easier in your blender as well.

When I have leftover coffee in the pot, I put it into an ice cube tray then freeze it. When frozen, I put the cubes into plastic Ziploc bag then return it to the freezer.

When you have leftover coffee, add some water and use it to water your plants (houseplants or garden). It acts like plant food. Coffee grounds can be mixed in your garden soil for a boost.

I used to freeze the leftover coffee in an ice cube tray for iced coffee, which I still do. I developed a fondness for Thai coffee so I decided to make my own version of it and everyone seems to like it.

I planted my acid loving herbs near my kitchen door, and in the morning when my morning coffee finishes brewing, I put the used grounds directly onto the soil, instead of having to walk them to the compost bin or throw them away!

You know how coffee doesn't taste so good after you've had it hot, and it's been on too long? Use the left over coffee from the morning to make a hot chocolate...

I have a cup of coffee for breakfast and a dish of oatmeal. Since I love the taste of coffee, I just add coffee to the bowl after I take it out of the microwave. Add a little honey instead of sugar, if you want it a little sweet.

After making my coffee in the morning, I always put my leftover coffee in a thermos because my coffee maker automatically shuts off after a certain amount of time and it gets cold. I cook for one so I don't want to waste it by throwing it out.

I have read about using coffee grounds and eggshells for plants, but can I use cooled coffee? I heard someone mention it at a greenhouse, but I don't know how much to use. I usually make 1 TB for 1 cup. Any recommendations? This would be for my vegetable garden and a few outside plants.

Thanks.

By mindy

Answers

Use it on acid loving plants such as gardenias, azaleas, etc. Also put on vegetable gardens. You can pick up "used" coffee grounds for free at coffee shops such as Starbucks, they give it away by the bagful! good luck.

Rhododendrons and blueberries are also acid loving plants. I just dump the old coffee around the bottom of the plants.

You can use cold coffee on plants but you need to dilute it before pouring around the plant

I take what ever left over coffee and finish filling the pot with water and add directly to plants inside or out. The really thrive on it.

This question goes out to LizCar and her suggestion on "aging paper" with coffee. How do you do it? I hope this reaches you, LizCar, as your idea sounds fascinating.
This is what I do to give letters or notecards an aged look: I light a votive candle and set it in the sink. This way you can keep both hands on the letter paper and have better control. A good distance above the paper (and MOST IMPORTANTLY in the sink-I can't stress this enough) very slowly let the flame discolor the paper moving the paper constantly. At times, I only want the edges ragged, so I let a tiny bit of paper catch fire then immediately blow it out until I have the entire perimeter jagged. I then take an old toothbrush and clean up the sooty, burnt areas. To make it look even more authentic, let parts of the edges of the letter/notecard burn more than others. I usually write my letter or note BEFORE I age the paper, so give yourself extra blank margins. Did I mention to DO THIS OVER YOUR SINK?? Letter writing is NOT a lost art, if we don't allow it to be. Your next letter or note will be charming, original, and a joy to receive.

Answer this Question

Tips and ideas for using leftover coffee. Post your ideas.

Don't let your morning coffee or evening tea go to waste! Try making ice cubes with either brew. Get creative by adding some clean fresh rose petals or spirals of lemon or bits of mint.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesJanuary 4, 2013
🎄
😷
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf452008.tip.html