Uses for Leftover Hotdog and Hamburger Buns

There are a number of creative ways to use up leftover buns. This page contains uses for leftover hotdog and hamburger buns.

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have been given a lot of hamburger and hot dog buns. I passed on as many as I could give away. I have made bread crumbs, croutons, cinnamon toast, and dried bread cubes for stuffing, as well as bread pudding, and I have used them for sandwiches of all kinds. Does anyone have any more suggestions? I sure do appreciate it.

By Patty from Darrington, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bunsteads

My mom made these all the time, and they were a family favorite.

2 cans chunk light tuna, drained

4 hardboiled eggs, peeled and diced

1/3 cup finely chopped onion (optional)

1/3 cup sweet or dill relish (whichever you like)

1/2 cup finely diced cheese, Velvetta or cheddar

1/3 cup mayo

alt and pepper to taste

8 hot dog or hamburger buns

Mix all ingredients (except buns!) in a largish bowl, gently, so the cheese mixes in evenly.

Open the buns, and put them in a baking pan, about 9x13. divide the mixture evenly between the buns, close the buns, and top the baking dish with foil.

Bake the Bunsteads in a 375F oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the buns are toasted/crunchy when you press on them.

You don't need expensive tuna for this, and it turns out to be fairly economical. If you have leftover chicken or turkey, you could dice it and use it instead of the tuna.

Read More Answers...

I was clear out of garlic bread to go with my spaghetti, so I used split hot dog buns to make garlic toast. I slathered on the butter, sprinkled heavy with garlic powder and placed it under the broiler til toasted. Turned out very good.

Source: From a friend.

By antique person from Mid MO

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No More Messy Sloppy Joes! Cut a hot dog bun in half and fill with Sloppy Joe mixture. The Sloppy Joe stay in and not all over. Children love it because it's small and easy to eat. Plus for parents the children waste less when eating it. Great for parties!

Kerry from Flat Rock, MI

I always have leftover hot dog buns and/or hamburger buns, especially during BBQ season. Leftover buns make great French toast sticks for breakfast (use with your typical French toast recipe). They also make great garlic bread sticks. I butter and garlic them and sprinkle cheese on top. Then I bake them, butter side down, in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes. My family loves it and can't tell they are old hot dog buns!

By Jackie from GA

Something different besides the same old sandwich!

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Yield: From my files

• 1/2 lb ham (leftovers)
  • 1/4 cup stuffed green olives
  • 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chili sauce
  • 1/2 lb sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 10 hot dog rolls, split

1. Cut ham and cheese into 1/4 inch cubes. Set aside
  2. Mix onion, eggs, olives, mayonnaise and chili sauce.
  3. Pour over ham mixtures.
  4. Toss until well blended.
  5. Put about 1/2 cup of mixture to each hot dog bun. Wrap each stuffed roll in 12-inch square of foil. Fold and twist ends tightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is much less messy on a hotdog bun. Try it and see if I'm right!

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, Mo

I always have a lot of extra buns left over because hot dogs come in packs of 10 and buns in packs of 8. To use those extra buns I made garlic bread on them because I was out of bread. One garlic bread bun each was just the right amount for my family. You can even let each person make their own.

By chicken_mama from Santa Cruz, CA

Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have used them as croutons before and also done long PB and J sandwiches.

I noticed that I only got 8 hot dogs in my package last week, can't remember the brand. I bet the cost didn't go down though. (09/14/2009)

By Jess

Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Any left over buns are also good for making a bread pudding if your family likes it. (09/15/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Last night for dinner I had Stouffer's Lasagna - baked in the oven. I always like to have either garlic toast or breadsticks when I serve Lasagna, but realized that I'd failed to buy some. Then it dawned on me!

I took hot dog buns left from a couple of nights previously, mixed garlic powder with butter and buttered the hot dog buns. I had no recipe for mixing the garlic powder and butter, so I added garlic powder until I could smell it in the butter. After buttering the hot dog buns, I sprinkled a bit more garlic powder on them before putting them into the oven. After taking the Lasagna out, I baked the hot dog buns for about 8 minutes at the same temperature as the lasagna.

They were as good as breadsticks bought at the store.

By Noella from Bolivar, MO

Hotdog Buns For Breadsticks

I have been doing that for years, I also use hamburger buns. If I want something sweet, I'll melt marg/butter in the microwave, brush it on the buns, sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon and bake until golden brown about 8 minutes on 400 degrees F, or if I use the broiler about 4-5 minute, if that long depends on how hot your oven gets. My grandchildren like both the garlic and the sweet toast. In fact, done this way I usually let them fix it, then I put it in and take it out of the oven. Nice to see someone else thinks like me, LOL (05/29/2008)

By NanaMimi

Hotdog Buns For Breadsticks

What a great idea. I use hamburger buns to make my own garlic bread with cheese and one of the pizza places that we order from use hot dog/sub buns for their garlic bread with cheese. (05/29/2008)

By Maryeileen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do you know of a good use for leftover hot dog buns besides more hot dogs?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Hi, I use any extra bread for bread pudding or stuffing. (03/27/2008)

By RuralAngel

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Bread crumb cookies ! (03/27/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

They make a good base for a quick and easy meatball sub, or sloppy joes - or even peanut butter and jelly! (03/27/2008)

By QueenBeeCrafts

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have found them really handy for 'melts' (like tuna) or sauteing cut side (w/ garlic butter brushed on) to go w/ pasta dishes. Actually, you can use them for anything you use regular bread for. (03/27/2008)

By doodles

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

spread butter and sugar and cinnamon on them and toast them kids love them (03/27/2008)

By Sharon

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

We love the taste/texture of hot dog or hamburger buns so they never go to waste around here. I like them toasted with butter for breakfast or just a snack. My son will snack on a bun anytime. Sometimes we turn leftover buns into garlic bread by spreading butter on them, sprinkle some garlic powder and bake in the oven. I also sometimes use torn up buns in my salmon patties. (03/27/2008)

By Debbie52

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

You can make croutons out of them; or your own garlic bread. (03/27/2008)

By Maryeileen

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Make garlic bread! Margarine, garlic salt, parmesean cheese and a sprinkle of cayenne. Broil until bubbky.

another one to try is 1/4 c mayo, 1/2 cup or so shredded cheddar-what ever seasonings your heart desires-then spread on hot dog buns and broil until bubbly. yummy cheesy toasts! (03/27/2008)

By GreenhouseChik

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Peanut butter and Fluff! I use hot dog rolls for kids sandwiches. Not as much bread means that they can eat more of the sandwich. Tuna, egg salad, meatballs, cheese, etc. (03/27/2008)

By kladybug

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Actually, you can probably use hot dog buns for the same things you use other kinds of buns for. Break them up for stuffing or dry out and grind for bread crumbs. My personal fave use is: Butter the buns, add cheese and bacon bits and broil in the oven for a snack or fast lunch. (03/27/2008)

By thriftmeg

RE: Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I cut the buns into small cubes and bake in oven till golden brown and crispy. Also you can use blender or food processor to make bread crumbs (03/27/2008)

By Sheila

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I would use the left over hot dog buns for sandwiches. For sausage and peppers (possibly). Maybe even for making my own bread crumbs.

Good luck!! (03/27/2008)

By Shari in Poughkeepsie

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

They make a fabulous bread pudding. (03/27/2008)

By Terri

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

You can cut them in half and put butter on each one. Use a little more then you usually would. Toast them in your oven, or toaster oven depending on number of rolls you use. Keep a eye on them the first time you do this and toast them until they are toasted the way you like them and serve warm with dinner. They are really GOOD like this.
You can make bread pudding with them. Also freeze and use as stuffing. (for stuffing anything actually.)

But freeze them if you do not use them right away. Then if you make a meatloaf, meatballs, stuffing for stuffed pork chops, you just have to take out of freezer open wrapping and let them have some air. This way they will not be damp and have a little time to become a little on the harder side. I have tried all of these ways and they really work. Plus with prices rising and it is supposed to become a lot worse at the grocery store, anything you can save and use later will certainly help you out! Darlene

(03/27/2008)

By Darlene

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

You can use leftover hotdog buns to make "mini" subs. They work for meatball subs, veggie or meat subs like at subway or Quiznos, only smaller. Can be eaten as it, heated in the microwave, or "toasted" in the oven, just like the fast food versions. (03/27/2008)

By bailegirl

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Breakfast sausage is really good in them. Yummy cinnamon toast. With cheese and spaghetti sauce, you have mini pizzas. (03/27/2008)

By Dianne

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I make long hamburgers to fit the buns. Everyone loves them. (03/28/2008)

By Lorrie

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Bread is bread, so there is always "bread pudding"! Tear the buns apart, place in a bowl with a couple of beaten eggs and milk (to the consistency of cornbread mix), sweetener (I use Splenda to save calories), some pineapple chunks, raisins, and vanilla extract. Bake at about 400 or so. Yummy! (03/28/2008)

By Fran from Jonesboro, GA

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I open the buns, lay them on a cookie sheet, butter one side, on the other side, lay a slice of cold meat topped with American cheese, and slide under the broiler in the oven. WATCH them, as it only takes seconds. The buttered top should be brown, and the cheese should be melted. Take them out of broiler, and place the two sides together. Your family will ask for more! (03/28/2008)

By Mary L

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Open the buns, butter one side, lay a slice of cold meat, topped with American cheese on the other side. Slide under broiler of your oven. WATCH them, as it only takes seconds for the one side to brown, and the cheese to melt on the other. Take out from under the broiler, and place the two sides together. Your family will ask for more! (03/28/2008)

By normsgamma

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I'm thinking as a base for Sloppy Joes or extra spaghetti sauce. (03/29/2008)

By Nance

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have an old recipe from my mom, you use Velveeta cheese, chopped olives, diced chilies, hard boiled eggs, pimentos, chopped onions and chili sauce. Mix together, and put on the buns, wrap in foil and bake! They don't look great, I won't tell you what my daughter calls them, but they are good, and she always wants some to take camping! (03/30/2008)

By eileen-e

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I use them to make "mini" pizzas in the toaster oven. Just cut each hotdog bun in half (or tear apart if already halved), lay each half with the cut side up on a cookie sheet. Spread with leftover spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce, top with mozzarella cheese and then melt the cheese under the broiler in the oven or toaster oven. You could also add sliced pepperoni. Watch them closely though 'cause it doesn't take long to melt the cheese. Yummy and quick! (04/01/2008)

By tneisess

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I use all my extra bread of any kind to make garlic bread in the oven. (04/09/2008)

By denise w

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Lots of great ideas here! I'll have to try some of them. I've always just made PBandJ sandwiches for the kids with them. (04/16/2008)

By payrollgenius

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I am adding this for future reference...was in the newspaper the other day:

(05/11/2008)

By Kaelle

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Split leftover hot dog buns down the middle, spread each side with garlic butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Toast in the oven and you have breadsticks for dinner.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversJune 3, 2012
Hot Dog Buns
Recipes Using Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns
Photo of a hamburger with a homemade bun.
Homemade Hamburger Bun Recipes
Hamburger Jerky Recipes
Hamburger Jerky Recipes
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 14, 2016 at 4:04:07 AM on 10.0.1.136 in 694 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.