Uses for Leftover Hotdog and Hamburger Buns

Category Leftovers
There are a number of creative ways to use up leftover buns. This page contains uses for leftover hotdog and hamburger buns.

I was clear out of garlic bread to go with my spaghetti, so I used split hot dog buns to make garlic toast. I slathered on the butter, sprinkled heavy with garlic powder and placed it under the broiler til toasted. Turned out very good.

Source: From a friend.

By antique person from Mid MO

I did that too. I had one of those pillsbury bread in a can and what I did was after I pulled the bread out of the can I made slites with a sharp knife and spread butter on it and then sprinkled garlic powder or flakes and baked it. Turned out good and hubby loved it.

No More Messy Sloppy Joes! Cut a hot dog bun in half and fill with Sloppy Joe mixture. The Sloppy Joe stay in and not all over. Children love it because it's small and easy to eat. Plus for parents the children waste less when eating it. Great for parties!

Kerry from Flat Rock, MI

that's a great idea !

THANKS !

I always have leftover hot dog buns and/or hamburger buns, especially during BBQ season. Leftover buns make great French toast sticks for breakfast (use with your typical French toast recipe). They also make great garlic bread sticks. I butter and garlic them and sprinkle cheese on top. Then I bake them, butter side down, in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes. My family loves it and can't tell they are old hot dog buns!

By Jackie from GA

I love making Mini Meatball Sub Sandwiches :) If you made spaghetti and meatballs and you have some sauce (I love marinara sauce for this) and meatballs left over, heat the sauce and the meatballs together in a pan, cut the meat balls in half.

In the meantime while that is heating open your hot dog bun but DO NOT break in half, toast very lightly , when sauce and meatballs are heated put on a little sauce you don't want a bunch it will just make the bun soggy, add 3 of the 1/2'd meatballs top with mozzarella cheese, put in toaster oven again in some toaster oven proof so the bun stands up straight, toast till cheese is melted! By: Kaylee M. in Akron, Ohio

Something different besides the same old sandwich!

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is much less messy on a hotdog bun. Try it and see if I'm right!

I have been given a lot of hamburger and hot dog buns. I passed on as many as I could give away. I have made bread crumbs, croutons, cinnamon toast, and dried bread cubes for stuffing, as well as bread pudding, and I have used them for sandwiches of all kinds. Does anyone have any more suggestions? I sure do appreciate it.

By Patty from Darrington, WA

Answer Was this helpful? 3

This was sent to me by a person that lives in New Jersey - supposedly the original recipe. I have made it before but I would cut the cloves, allspice and cinnamon in half (just my preference, you can always add them in later) - it wasn't a bad hot dog sauce just a little different (fresh or stale hot dog buns don't matter).

Johnny & Hanges Hot Dog Sauce Recipe

8 cups of water

1 pound of ground beef

1 6oz. can tomato paste

1 Tbsp. chili powder

1 tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. allspice

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

8 hot dog rolls

I hope you have a wire whisk and a food processor, put 8 cups of water in a pot next put a little can of tomato paste and whisk until it's incorporated in the water. Next put the ground beef in the cold tomato water, yes I said cold water and whisk until it breaks up into very small pieces, then turn on the gas to med. setting bring to a boil turn down to a

simmer, now put in the spices.

Take the hot dog rolls put them in the food processor one at a time, break them up as you are putting them in the processor on high make soft bread crumbs, put the crumbs a little at a time in to the simmering mixture and whisk. It will take a little time but if you don't it will lump up on you and you will have a mess.

Please use fresh hot rolls only, do not use any other type of bread crumbs, the spices can and should be adjusted to your taste. Serve with mustard and chopped white onions, this can be done in a food processor by pulsing in the processor.

stratta - depression cooking found some wonderful youtube videos on how to do it

Basic idea is like a layered quiche

Day old crusty bread - torn into bite size pieces - I mostly use the bread loaf butt ends because my kid refuse to eat them (let them get hard and crusty on the counter or uncovered in fridge). Any and all veggies you want to use

spice to your liking. I just use garlic/onion powder or Italian blend

egg mixture

do layers of bread then veggies (like lasagna)

pour egg mixture all over

set heavy pan over eggy bread to weigh bread down to soak up egg mixture for about 20 min

bake

I can barely keep the leftovers in the house.

Thank you everybody for your responses. I gleaned many new ideas. Those hot dog and hamburger bunds just keep coming, and I have my freezer full of them already! I will pass on as many as I can and use the rest for the recipes and ideas found here. Terrific! Bless you all.

How about pizza buns? Spread with pizza or spaghetti sauce, cover with mozzarella cheese and add your favorite pizza toppings, my kids like olives and pepperoni. Bake in 350 oven for 5-10 minutes. Then enjoy!

I always have a lot of extra buns left over because hot dogs come in packs of 10 and buns in packs of 8. To use those extra buns I made garlic bread on them because I was out of bread. One garlic bread bun each was just the right amount for my family. You can even let each person make their own.

By chicken_mama from Santa Cruz, CA

Answers:

Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have used them as croutons before and also done long PB and J sandwiches.

I noticed that I only got 8 hot dogs in my package last week, can't remember the brand. I bet the cost didn't go down though. (09/14/2009)

By Jess

Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Any left over buns are also good for making a bread pudding if your family likes it. (09/15/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Do you know of a good use for leftover hot dog buns besides more hot dogs?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Hi, I use any extra bread for bread pudding or stuffing. (03/27/2008)

By RuralAngel

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Bread crumb cookies ! (03/27/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

They make a good base for a quick and easy meatball sub, or sloppy joes - or even peanut butter and jelly! (03/27/2008)

By QueenBeeCrafts

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have found them really handy for 'melts' (like tuna) or sauteing cut side (w/ garlic butter brushed on) to go w/ pasta dishes. Actually, you can use them for anything you use regular bread for. (03/27/2008)

By doodles

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

spread butter and sugar and cinnamon on them and toast them kids love them (03/27/2008)

By Sharon

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

We love the taste/texture of hot dog or hamburger buns so they never go to waste around here. I like them toasted with butter for breakfast or just a snack. My son will snack on a bun anytime. Sometimes we turn leftover buns into garlic bread by spreading butter on them, sprinkle some garlic powder and bake in the oven. I also sometimes use torn up buns in my salmon patties. (03/27/2008)

By Debbie52

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

You can make croutons out of them; or your own garlic bread. (03/27/2008)

By Maryeileen

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Make garlic bread! Margarine, garlic salt, parmesean cheese and a sprinkle of cayenne. Broil until bubbky.

another one to try is 1/4 c mayo, 1/2 cup or so shredded cheddar-what ever seasonings your heart desires-then spread on hot dog buns and broil until bubbly. yummy cheesy toasts! (03/27/2008)

By GreenhouseChik

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Peanut butter and Fluff! I use hot dog rolls for kids sandwiches. Not as much bread means that they can eat more of the sandwich. Tuna, egg salad, meatballs, cheese, etc. (03/27/2008)

By kladybug

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Actually, you can probably use hot dog buns for the same things you use other kinds of buns for. Break them up for stuffing or dry out and grind for bread crumbs. My personal fave use is: Butter the buns, add cheese and bacon bits and broil in the oven for a snack or fast lunch. (03/27/2008)

By thriftmeg

RE: Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I cut the buns into small cubes and bake in oven till golden brown and crispy. Also you can use blender or food processor to make bread crumbs (03/27/2008)

By Sheila

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I would use the left over hot dog buns for sandwiches. For sausage and peppers (possibly). Maybe even for making my own bread crumbs.

Good luck!! (03/27/2008)

By Shari in Poughkeepsie

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

They make a fabulous bread pudding. (03/27/2008)

By Terri

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

You can cut them in half and put butter on each one. Use a little more then you usually would. Toast them in your oven, or toaster oven depending on number of rolls you use. Keep a eye on them the first time you do this and toast them until they are toasted the way you like them and serve warm with dinner. They are really GOOD like this.
You can make bread pudding with them. Also freeze and use as stuffing. (for stuffing anything actually.)

But freeze them if you do not use them right away. Then if you make a meatloaf, meatballs, stuffing for stuffed pork chops, you just have to take out of freezer open wrapping and let them have some air. This way they will not be damp and have a little time to become a little on the harder side. I have tried all of these ways and they really work. Plus with prices rising and it is supposed to become a lot worse at the grocery store, anything you can save and use later will certainly help you out! Darlene

(03/27/2008)

By Darlene

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

You can use leftover hotdog buns to make "mini" subs. They work for meatball subs, veggie or meat subs like at subway or Quiznos, only smaller. Can be eaten as it, heated in the microwave, or "toasted" in the oven, just like the fast food versions. (03/27/2008)

By bailegirl

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Breakfast sausage is really good in them. Yummy cinnamon toast. With cheese and spaghetti sauce, you have mini pizzas. (03/27/2008)

By Dianne

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I make long hamburgers to fit the buns. Everyone loves them. (03/28/2008)

By Lorrie

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Bread is bread, so there is always "bread pudding"! Tear the buns apart, place in a bowl with a couple of beaten eggs and milk (to the consistency of cornbread mix), sweetener (I use Splenda to save calories), some pineapple chunks, raisins, and vanilla extract. Bake at about 400 or so. Yummy! (03/28/2008)

By Fran from Jonesboro, GA

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I open the buns, lay them on a cookie sheet, butter one side, on the other side, lay a slice of cold meat topped with American cheese, and slide under the broiler in the oven. WATCH them, as it only takes seconds. The buttered top should be brown, and the cheese should be melted. Take them out of broiler, and place the two sides together. Your family will ask for more! (03/28/2008)

By Mary L

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Open the buns, butter one side, lay a slice of cold meat, topped with American cheese on the other side. Slide under broiler of your oven. WATCH them, as it only takes seconds for the one side to brown, and the cheese to melt on the other. Take out from under the broiler, and place the two sides together. Your family will ask for more! (03/28/2008)

By normsgamma

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I'm thinking as a base for Sloppy Joes or extra spaghetti sauce. (03/29/2008)

By Nance

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have an old recipe from my mom, you use Velveeta cheese, chopped olives, diced chilies, hard boiled eggs, pimentos, chopped onions and chili sauce. Mix together, and put on the buns, wrap in foil and bake! They don't look great, I won't tell you what my daughter calls them, but they are good, and she always wants some to take camping! (03/30/2008)

By eileen-e

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I use them to make "mini" pizzas in the toaster oven. Just cut each hotdog bun in half (or tear apart if already halved), lay each half with the cut side up on a cookie sheet. Spread with leftover spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce, top with mozzarella cheese and then melt the cheese under the broiler in the oven or toaster oven. You could also add sliced pepperoni. Watch them closely though 'cause it doesn't take long to melt the cheese. Yummy and quick! (04/01/2008)

By tneisess

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I use all my extra bread of any kind to make garlic bread in the oven. (04/09/2008)

By denise w

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Lots of great ideas here! I'll have to try some of them. I've always just made PBandJ sandwiches for the kids with them. (04/16/2008)

By payrollgenius

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I am adding this for future reference...was in the newspaper the other day:

(05/11/2008)

By Kaelle

I took hot dog buns left from a couple of nights previously, mixed garlic powder with butter and buttered the hot dog buns.

Split leftover hot dog buns down the middle, spread each side with garlic butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Toast in the oven and you have breadsticks for dinner.