Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Leftover Hotdog and Hamburger Buns

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It

There are a number of creative ways to use up leftover buns. This page contains uses for leftover hotdog and hamburger buns.

Solutions: Uses for Leftover Hotdog and Hamburger Buns

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Hot Dog Bun for Garlic Toast

I was clear out of garlic bread to go with my spaghetti, so I used split hot dog buns to make garlic toast. I slathered on the butter, sprinkled heavy with garlic powder and placed it under the broiler til toasted. Turned out very good.

Source: From a friend.

By antique person from Mid MO

Tip: Use a Hot Dog Bun for Sloppy Joes

No More Messy Sloppy Joes! Cut a hot dog bun in half and fill with Sloppy Joe mixture. The Sloppy Joe stay in and not all over. Children love it because it's small and easy to eat. Plus for parents the children waste less when eating it. Great for parties!

Kerry from Flat Rock, MI

Tip: Using Leftover Hot Dog and Hamburger Buns

I always have leftover hot dog buns and/or hamburger buns, especially during BBQ season. Leftover buns make great French toast sticks for breakfast (use with your typical French toast recipe). They also make great garlic bread sticks. I butter and garlic them and sprinkle cheese on top. Then I bake them, butter side down, in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes. My family loves it and can't tell they are old hot dog buns!

By Jackie from GA

Recipe: Ham Wrap Ups

Something different besides the same old sandwich!

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Yield: From my files

• 1/2 lb ham (leftovers)
  • 1/4 cup stuffed green olives
  • 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chili sauce
  • 1/2 lb sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 10 hot dog rolls, split

1. Cut ham and cheese into 1/4 inch cubes. Set aside
  2. Mix onion, eggs, olives, mayonnaise and chili sauce.
  3. Pour over ham mixtures.
  4. Toss until well blended.
  5. Put about 1/2 cup of mixture to each hot dog bun. Wrap each stuffed roll in 12-inch square of foil. Fold and twist ends tightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot.

By

Tip: Use a Hotdog Bun for PB&J

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is much less messy on a hotdog bun. Try it and see if I'm right!

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, Mo

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Uses for Leftover Hotdog and Hamburger Buns.

Question: Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have been given a lot of hamburger and hot dog buns. I passed on as many as I could give away. I have made bread crumbs, croutons, cinnamon toast, and dried bread cubes for stuffing, as well as bread pudding, and I have used them for sandwiches of all kinds. Does anyone have any more suggestions? I sure do appreciate it.

By Patty from Darrington, WA

Most Recent Answer

By Dee Rhodes [3]01/26/2010

Bunsteads
My mom made these all the time, and they were a family favorite.

2 cans chunk light tuna, drained
4 hardboiled eggs, peeled and diced
1/3 cup finely chopped onion (optional)
1/3 cup sweet or dill relish (whichever you like)
1/2 cup finely diced cheese, Velvetta or cheddar
1/3 cup mayo
salt and pepper to taste
8 hot dog or hamburger buns

Mix all ingredients (except buns!) in a largish bowl, gently, so the cheese mixes in evenly.

Open the buns, and put them in a baking pan, about 9x13. divide the mixture evenly between the buns, close the buns, and top the baking dish with foil.

Bake the Bunsteads in a 375F oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the buns are toasted/crunchy when you press on them.

You don't need expensive tuna for this, and it turns out to be fairly economical. If you have leftover chicken or turkey, you could dice it and use it instead of the tuna.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Hotdog Buns For Breadsticks

Split leftover hot dog buns down the middle, spread each side with garlic butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Toast in the oven and you have breadsticks for dinner.

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

RE: Hotdog Buns For Breadsticks

I've been doing this for years! So good w/ spaghetti. (09/13/2007)

By Sarah

RE: Hotdog Buns For Breadsticks

Yes, I've done this too. Something else I've done which isn't quite as good but fast and easy is to toast a hot dog or hamburger bun in the toaster, butter and sprinkle with a little garlic powder....quick garlic bread. I do that if I happen to have leftover spaghetti to finish up for lunch. I've also done it with just regular bread and it's not half bad! (09/17/2007)

By Debbie52

Archive: Hotdog Buns For Breadsticks

Last night for dinner I had Stouffer's Lasagna - baked in the oven. I always like to have either garlic toast or breadsticks when I serve Lasagna, but realized that I'd failed to buy some. Then it dawned on me!

I took hot dog buns left from a couple of nights previously, mixed garlic powder with butter and buttered the hot dog buns. I had no recipe for mixing the garlic powder and butter, so I added garlic powder until I could smell it in the butter. After buttering the hot dog buns, I sprinkled a bit more garlic powder on them before putting them into the oven. After taking the Lasagna out, I baked the hot dog buns for about 8 minutes at the same temperature as the lasagna.

They were as good as breadsticks bought at the store.

By Noella from Bolivar, MO

RE: Hotdog Buns For Breadsticks

I have been doing that for years, I also use hamburger buns. If I want something sweet, I'll melt marg/butter in the microwave, brush it on the buns, sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon and bake until golden brown about 8 minutes on 400 degrees F, or if I use the broiler about 4-5 minute, if that long depends on how hot your oven gets. My grandchildren like both the garlic and the sweet toast. In fact, done this way I usually let them fix it, then I put it in and take it out of the oven. Nice to see someone else thinks like me, LOL (05/29/2008)

By NanaMimi

RE: Hotdog Buns For Breadsticks

What a great idea. I use hamburger buns to make my own garlic bread with cheese and one of the pizza places that we order from use hot dog/sub buns for their garlic bread with cheese. (05/29/2008)

By Maryeileen

Archive: Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Do you know of a good use for leftover hot dog buns besides more hot dogs?

Archive: Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I always have a lot of extra buns left over because hot dogs come in packs of 10 and buns in packs of 8. To use those extra buns I made garlic bread on them because I was out of bread. One garlic bread bun each was just the right amount for my family. You can even let each person make their own.

By chicken_mama from Santa Cruz, CA

RE: Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have used them as croutons before and also done long PB and J sandwiches. I noticed that I only got 8 hot dogs in my package last week, can't remember the brand. I bet the cost didn't go down though. (09/14/2009)

By Jess

RE: Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Any left over buns are also good for making a bread pudding if your family likes it. (09/15/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom