Uses for Leftover Hotdog and Hamburger Buns

Category Leftovers
There are a number of creative ways to use up leftover buns. This page contains uses for leftover hotdog and hamburger buns.

I was clear out of garlic bread to go with my spaghetti, so I used split hot dog buns to make garlic toast. I slathered on the butter, sprinkled heavy with garlic powder and placed it under the broiler til toasted. Turned out very good.

Source: From a friend.

By antique person from Mid MO

No More Messy Sloppy Joes! Cut a hot dog bun in half and fill with Sloppy Joe mixture. The Sloppy Joe stay in and not all over. Children love it because it's small and easy to eat. Plus for parents the children waste less when eating it. Great for parties!

Kerry from Flat Rock, MI

I always have leftover hot dog buns and/or hamburger buns, especially during BBQ season. Leftover buns make great French toast sticks for breakfast (use with your typical French toast recipe). They also make great garlic bread sticks. I butter and garlic them and sprinkle cheese on top. Then I bake them, butter side down, in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes. My family loves it and can't tell they are old hot dog buns!

By Jackie from GA

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is much less messy on a hotdog bun. Try it and see if I'm right!

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, Mo

Something different besides the same old sandwich!

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: From my files

• 1/2 lb ham (leftovers)
  • 1/4 cup stuffed green olives
  • 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chili sauce
  • 1/2 lb sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 10 hot dog rolls, split

1. Cut ham and cheese into 1/4 inch cubes. Set aside
  2. Ad

3. Mix onion, eggs, olives, mayonnaise and chili sauce.
  4. Pour over ham mixtures.
  5. Toss until well blended.
  6. Put about 1/2 cup of mixture to each hot dog bun. Wrap each stuffed roll in 12-inch square of foil. Fold and twist ends tightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot.

I have been given a lot of hamburger and hot dog buns. I passed on as many as I could give away. I have made bread crumbs, croutons, cinnamon toast, and dried bread cubes for stuffing, as well as bread pudding, and I have used them for sandwiches of all kinds. Does anyone have any more suggestions? I sure do appreciate it.

By Patty from Darrington, WA

Answer Was this helpful? 3

We toast them in the oven with butter and a little garlic powder on top to go with our spaghetti.

I wonder if they would freeze well coated in the garlic butter for Italian food sides? Just defrost a bit and toast in the oven.

And they will make some good bird food! Got any bird feeders?

Sep 26, 2007 Make Up A Loaf Of French Toast For Later. A quick, easy and appreciated breakfast is to make up a whole loaf of French toast.

http://www.thri  3074808.tip.html

Clay Recipes for Kids

Bread and Glue Clay

Easy Recipe

You'll need :

8 slices of day-old white bread

(Less expensive fluffy type)

1 /2 C. White Glue

Food color

Flour for work space

Wax paper

To Make:

Remove Crusts. Break bread into small pieces and put in mixing bowl. Pour glue over bread. Mix with one hand until

it becomes a sticky mass. Take the out of the bowl and form into a ball. With both hands keep patting into a smaller ball until it becomes just slightly tacky.

Dust work surface with a small amount of flour and knead gently until it becomes smoother and more pliable. Knead firmly at this time. Knead until texture is satiny, about 5 minutes.

Wrap tightly with plastic to store. Remember to seal the unused portion while working.

To color dough tear of portion needed, flatten and add color directly onto dough. Blend until satiny again.

Add flour, if needed to achieve the proper texture.

Air dry. Drying times vary depending on thickness. To speed up drying place on cookie sheet and leave

overnight in an unlit oven. Paint with acrylic paints (optional) and seal with spray on finish.

Easy Tip - Clean Up Time

Keep sticky, paint covered hands away from walls and furniture, with a wet soapy washcloth next to the project area.

Cheap Carp Bait

4 slices white bread

1 cup cottonseed meal

3 Tbsp imitation vanilla extract (don't use your wife's real vanilla extract its really expensive). In a medium bowl, combine bread, cottonseed meal with vanilla flavoring. Kneed and roll into a ball. The bait will be similar texture to bread dough. Store the bait ball in zip lock bag in the refrigerator. When you are ready to fish, pinch off enough bait to cover a #12 treble hook.

www.allysgoodies.com/Fishing.html

With milk and eggs with the bread in the blender, and you can make it into pancakes or waffles. Also, don't forget French toast.

Make filled buns

2 dozen hot dog buns

1 1/2 lb of velveta

2 4 oz cans chopped black olives

1 4oz can diced green chilies

2 chopped onions

3 chopped hard boiled eggs

1 can diced pimentos

2 cloves garlic minced

1 jar, chili sauce

Mix together and put on buns, wrap in foil. Cook at 350 F. in the oven until hot inside. Very good. Better than they look. I won't tell you what my daughter calls them. But she loves them. They freeze very well. We used to take them camping and cook on the fire.

Pull buns into small pieces and place in a large baking dish, approx 12 X 18 inches.

Blend:

1 to 2 cups of milk (depending upon how many buns you have used.)

4 eggs

1 cup sugar or to taste

1 cup golden seedless raisins

1 cup of pecans/walnuts chopped

favorite spice - nutmeg or cinnamon or combine w/ a dash of cloves

(If for adults add a splash of orange liquer)

Pour over buns and stir to blend. Bake at 375 degrees, approx 35 to 45 min or until egg mixture is set.

Serve warm.

Makes about 8 servings

Uhh how about using them for hot dogs and hamburgs? I freeze mine because I live alone. When ready to use I just wrap one in a paper towel and thaw in the microwave on high for about 15 seconds.

This was sent to me by a person that lives in New Jersey - supposedly the original recipe. I have made it before but I would cut the cloves, allspice and cinnamon in half (just my preference, you can always add them in later) - it wasn't a bad hot dog sauce just a little different (fresh or stale hot dog buns don't matter).

Johnny & Hanges Hot Dog Sauce Recipe

8 cups of water

1 pound of ground beef

1 6oz. can tomato paste

1 Tbsp. chili powder

1 tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. allspice

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

8 hot dog rolls

I hope you have a wire whisk and a food processor, put 8 cups of water in a pot next put a little can of tomato paste and whisk until it's incorporated in the water. Next put the ground beef in the cold tomato water, yes I said cold water and whisk until it breaks up into very small pieces, then turn on the gas to med. setting bring to a boil turn down to a

simmer, now put in the spices.

Take the hot dog rolls put them in the food processor one at a time, break them up as you are putting them in the processor on high make soft bread crumbs, put the crumbs a little at a time in to the simmering mixture and whisk. It will take a little time but if you don't it will lump up on you and you will have a mess.

Please use fresh hot rolls only, do not use any other type of bread crumbs, the spices can and should be adjusted to your taste. Serve with mustard and chopped white onions, this can be done in a food processor by pulsing in the processor.

stratta - depression cooking found some wonderful youtube videos on how to do it

Basic idea is like a layered quiche

Day old crusty bread - torn into bite size pieces - I mostly use the bread loaf butt ends because my kid refuse to eat them (let them get hard and crusty on the counter or uncovered in fridge). Any and all veggies you want to use

spice to your liking. I just use garlic/onion powder or Italian blend

egg mixture

do layers of bread then veggies (like lasagna)

pour egg mixture all over

set heavy pan over eggy bread to weigh bread down to soak up egg mixture for about 20 min

bake

I can barely keep the leftovers in the house.

Thank you everybody for your responses. I gleaned many new ideas. Those hot dog and hamburger bunds just keep coming, and I have my freezer full of them already! I will pass on as many as I can and use the rest for the recipes and ideas found here. Terrific! Bless you all.

How about pizza buns? Spread with pizza or spaghetti sauce, cover with mozzarella cheese and add your favorite pizza toppings, my kids like olives and pepperoni. Bake in 350 oven for 5-10 minutes. Then enjoy!

Bunsteads

My mom made these all the time, and they were a family favorite.

2 cans chunk light tuna, drained

4 hardboiled eggs, peeled and diced

1/3 cup finely chopped onion (optional)

1/3 cup sweet or dill relish (whichever you like)

1/2 cup finely diced cheese, Velvetta or cheddar

1/3 cup mayo

salt and pepper to taste

8 hot dog or hamburger buns

Mix all ingredients (except buns!) in a largish bowl, gently, so the cheese mixes in evenly.

Open the buns, and put them in a baking pan, about 9x13. divide the mixture evenly between the buns, close the buns, and top the baking dish with foil.

Bake the Bunsteads in a 375F oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the buns are toasted/crunchy when you press on them.

You don't need expensive tuna for this, and it turns out to be fairly economical. If you have leftover chicken or turkey, you could dice it and use it instead of the tuna.

I always have a lot of extra buns left over because hot dogs come in packs of 10 and buns in packs of 8. To use those extra buns I made garlic bread on them because I was out of bread. One garlic bread bun each was just the right amount for my family. You can even let each person make their own.

By chicken_mama from Santa Cruz, CA

Answers:

Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have used them as croutons before and also done long PB and J sandwiches.

I noticed that I only got 8 hot dogs in my package last week, can't remember the brand. I bet the cost didn't go down though. (09/14/2009)

By Jess

Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Any left over buns are also good for making a bread pudding if your family likes it. (09/15/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Last night for dinner I had Stouffer's Lasagna - baked in the oven. I always like to have either garlic toast or breadsticks when I serve Lasagna, but realized that I'd failed to buy some. Then it dawned on me!

I took hot dog buns left from a couple of nights previously, mixed garlic powder with butter and buttered the hot dog buns. I had no recipe for mixing the garlic powder and butter, so I added garlic powder until I could smell it in the butter. After buttering the hot dog buns, I sprinkled a bit more garlic powder on them before putting them into the oven. After taking the Lasagna out, I baked the hot dog buns for about 8 minutes at the same temperature as the lasagna.

They were as good as breadsticks bought at the store.

By Noella from Bolivar, MO

Answers:

Hotdog Buns For Breadsticks

I have been doing that for years, I also use hamburger buns. If I want something sweet, I'll melt marg/butter in the microwave, brush it on the buns, sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon and bake until golden brown about 8 minutes on 400 degrees F, or if I use the broiler about 4-5 minute, if that long depends on how hot your oven gets. My grandchildren like both the garlic and the sweet toast. In fact, done this way I usually let them fix it, then I put it in and take it out of the oven. Nice to see someone else thinks like me, LOL (05/29/2008)

By NanaMimi

Hotdog Buns For Breadsticks

What a great idea. I use hamburger buns to make my own garlic bread with cheese and one of the pizza places that we order from use hot dog/sub buns for their garlic bread with cheese. (05/29/2008)

By Maryeileen

Do you know of a good use for leftover hot dog buns besides more hot dogs?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Hi, I use any extra bread for bread pudding or stuffing. (03/27/2008)

By RuralAngel

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Bread crumb cookies ! (03/27/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

They make a good base for a quick and easy meatball sub, or sloppy joes - or even peanut butter and jelly! (03/27/2008)

By QueenBeeCrafts

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have found them really handy for 'melts' (like tuna) or sauteing cut side (w/ garlic butter brushed on) to go w/ pasta dishes. Actually, you can use them for anything you use regular bread for. (03/27/2008)

By doodles

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

spread butter and sugar and cinnamon on them and toast them kids love them (03/27/2008)

By Sharon

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

We love the taste/texture of hot dog or hamburger buns so they never go to waste around here. I like them toasted with butter for breakfast or just a snack. My son will snack on a bun anytime. Sometimes we turn leftover buns into garlic bread by spreading butter on them, sprinkle some garlic powder and bake in the oven. I also sometimes use torn up buns in my salmon patties. (03/27/2008)

By Debbie52

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

You can make croutons out of them; or your own garlic bread. (03/27/2008)

By Maryeileen

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Make garlic bread! Margarine, garlic salt, parmesean cheese and a sprinkle of cayenne. Broil until bubbky.

another one to try is 1/4 c mayo, 1/2 cup or so shredded cheddar-what ever seasonings your heart desires-then spread on hot dog buns and broil until bubbly. yummy cheesy toasts! (03/27/2008)

By GreenhouseChik

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Peanut butter and Fluff! I use hot dog rolls for kids sandwiches. Not as much bread means that they can eat more of the sandwich. Tuna, egg salad, meatballs, cheese, etc. (03/27/2008)

By kladybug

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Actually, you can probably use hot dog buns for the same things you use other kinds of buns for. Break them up for stuffing or dry out and grind for bread crumbs. My personal fave use is: Butter the buns, add cheese and bacon bits and broil in the oven for a snack or fast lunch. (03/27/2008)

By thriftmeg

RE: Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I cut the buns into small cubes and bake in oven till golden brown and crispy. Also you can use blender or food processor to make bread crumbs (03/27/2008)

By Sheila

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I would use the left over hot dog buns for sandwiches. For sausage and peppers (possibly). Maybe even for making my own bread crumbs.

Good luck!! (03/27/2008)

By Shari in Poughkeepsie

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

They make a fabulous bread pudding. (03/27/2008)

By Terri

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

You can cut them in half and put butter on each one. Use a little more then you usually would. Toast them in your oven, or toaster oven depending on number of rolls you use. Keep a eye on them the first time you do this and toast them until they are toasted the way you like them and serve warm with dinner. They are really GOOD like this.
You can make bread pudding with them. Also freeze and use as stuffing. (for stuffing anything actually.)

But freeze them if you do not use them right away. Then if you make a meatloaf, meatballs, stuffing for stuffed pork chops, you just have to take out of freezer open wrapping and let them have some air. This way they will not be damp and have a little time to become a little on the harder side. I have tried all of these ways and they really work. Plus with prices rising and it is supposed to become a lot worse at the grocery store, anything you can save and use later will certainly help you out! Darlene

(03/27/2008)

By Darlene

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

You can use leftover hotdog buns to make "mini" subs. They work for meatball subs, veggie or meat subs like at subway or Quiznos, only smaller. Can be eaten as it, heated in the microwave, or "toasted" in the oven, just like the fast food versions. (03/27/2008)

By bailegirl

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Breakfast sausage is really good in them. Yummy cinnamon toast. With cheese and spaghetti sauce, you have mini pizzas. (03/27/2008)

By Dianne

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I make long hamburgers to fit the buns. Everyone loves them. (03/28/2008)

By Lorrie

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Bread is bread, so there is always "bread pudding"! Tear the buns apart, place in a bowl with a couple of beaten eggs and milk (to the consistency of cornbread mix), sweetener (I use Splenda to save calories), some pineapple chunks, raisins, and vanilla extract. Bake at about 400 or so. Yummy! (03/28/2008)

By Fran from Jonesboro, GA

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I open the buns, lay them on a cookie sheet, butter one side, on the other side, lay a slice of cold meat topped with American cheese, and slide under the broiler in the oven. WATCH them, as it only takes seconds. The buttered top should be brown, and the cheese should be melted. Take them out of broiler, and place the two sides together. Your family will ask for more! (03/28/2008)

By Mary L

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Open the buns, butter one side, lay a slice of cold meat, topped with American cheese on the other side. Slide under broiler of your oven. WATCH them, as it only takes seconds for the one side to brown, and the cheese to melt on the other. Take out from under the broiler, and place the two sides together. Your family will ask for more! (03/28/2008)

By normsgamma

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I'm thinking as a base for Sloppy Joes or extra spaghetti sauce. (03/29/2008)

By Nance

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I have an old recipe from my mom, you use Velveeta cheese, chopped olives, diced chilies, hard boiled eggs, pimentos, chopped onions and chili sauce. Mix together, and put on the buns, wrap in foil and bake! They don't look great, I won't tell you what my daughter calls them, but they are good, and she always wants some to take camping! (03/30/2008)

By eileen-e

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I use them to make "mini" pizzas in the toaster oven. Just cut each hotdog bun in half (or tear apart if already halved), lay each half with the cut side up on a cookie sheet. Spread with leftover spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce, top with mozzarella cheese and then melt the cheese under the broiler in the oven or toaster oven. You could also add sliced pepperoni. Watch them closely though 'cause it doesn't take long to melt the cheese. Yummy and quick! (04/01/2008)

By tneisess

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I use all my extra bread of any kind to make garlic bread in the oven. (04/09/2008)

By denise w

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

Lots of great ideas here! I'll have to try some of them. I've always just made PBandJ sandwiches for the kids with them. (04/16/2008)

By payrollgenius

Recipes Using Leftover Hot Dog Buns

I am adding this for future reference...was in the newspaper the other day:

(05/11/2008)

By Kaelle

Split leftover hot dog buns down the middle, spread each side with garlic butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Toast in the oven and you have breadsticks for dinner.