Uses for Old Magazines

Category Reusing
In addition to their craft uses there are a lot of other ways to reuse old magazines. This is a guide about uses for old magazines.

Don't throw those old books or magazines away - donate old magazines and books to your local nursing home or doctors office for others to enjoy while they wait or while they have nothing better to do. You'd be surprised at how many people will pick up a book or magazine to read while they have nothing else to do.

By Gem from VA

There is a dialysis center near me. I take magazines there.

Make the extra couple or so inches you need to be able to reach the tops of your cabinets from folded rolled magazines, catalogs or newspapers!

Very Simple! Just take out the staples (if there are any) and fold the double page top to bottom and then in 1/2 and 1/2 again until it is the height you want (I like mine to be an inch to inch and 1/2) and roll them.

I like it better to fold all the pages first then secure them with small tabs of tape or glue.

When you are finished, secure the end. Add a cord if you like so it can hang in the kitchen pantry or on the back porch where you know they will always be.

I made 2 of them today for this purpose and one is a little smaller around than the other so when I stack them for added height, they are more stable. Better than having to lug out the step stool for just one thing!

Source: This method of paper crafting was originally seen by me as a magazine bowl where the paper strips are done the same way!

By Melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

sbb1: our phonebook here isn't quite an inch thick - it wouldn't be much use!

But I'm glad someone knows what I am talking about!

I recycle my magazines by donating them to local gyms, offices, and salons. I just remove my name and personal information and drop them off. This way I'm not only preserving trees, but I'm also sharing with others information that I have received.

By katgirl from West Hartford, CT

When gluing paper crafts, I find it is easy to get glue all the way to the edges of the paper. Simply get an old, worn-out magazine to absorb the glue that goes past the edge. Then, peel off the glue-applied item and affix it in its permanent place.

Here's an idea for packing material. Tear out magazine ads and stuff in boxes. My mom and I share magazines and then I leave them in public places for others to enjoy.

I drop off magazines and paperback books I have read at an elder care home near my home. I drive past it every day anyway, and it just takes a minute to do this kind gesture.

Give your old magazines to hospitals, nursing homes, senior centers, schools or clinics. Schools need magazines for research and for children to cut pictures out of.

I finally found a GOOD use for all of my holiday magazines, and I will know where they are next year when I want them! I rolled them into a tube shape and wrapped my tree lights around them for storage.

What can you do with magazines besides crafts? I don't do arts and crafts. Can they be donated to any organizations? Shame to throw them away. Some I don't even get a chance to read.

Joan from NJ

You can check with the jail in your town. They may take them for the inmates to read. They will not however take any hardback books.

You might donate them to a senior citizen clubhouse, or drop some off at a dentist/doctor's office. Might donate them to a church for their rummage sale or to an organization like The Elks Lodge for an upcoming yard sale to make money for gift baskets for the needy. Just be sure to cut off your magazine's subscription tag with your address on it.

When I was a teen, for something "to do", I cut out pictures from magazines and decopaged a metal trash can using the magazine photos. I used it for many years. Just a thought.

Look for your local FREECycle organization. In my area it is done by zip code. You can find Free cycle in the groups area of yahoo.com. OR simply type freecycle.org. It is a GREAT concept. You are trying to rid of stuff and someone else might like it for free - they come and get it. Saves the landfills.

A good way to recycle magazines and newspapers is to put them in a paper shredder and use the shreds for packing parcels! This works great! Looks neat too if you use magazines as the shreds are colourful.

Source: I wrote this tip

By Lisa from Halifax

Answers:

Shred Newspapers And Magazines For Packing

I do this also, but use it for mulching my plants. It also keeps the weeds down. (03/08/2008)

By Danialle

If you use if for mulching, do you wet it so it doesn't blow away? (03/08/2008)

By tnrfitz

Use the shredded newsprint for animal waste instead of sand or litter. Use the glossy magazine pages for making the best paper mache' crafts possible. You'll not regret it. God bless you. : ) (03/09/2008)

By Lynda