Uses for Old Magazines

Category Reusing
Uses for Old Magazines
In addition to their craft uses there are a lot of other ways to reuse old magazines. This is a guide about uses for old magazines.

Don't throw those old books or magazines away - donate old magazines and books to your local nursing home or doctors office for others to enjoy while they wait or while they have nothing better to do. You'd be surprised at how many people will pick up a book or magazine to read while they have nothing else to do.

By Gem from VA

Make the extra couple or so inches you need to be able to reach the tops of your cabinets from folded rolled magazines, catalogs or newspapers!

Very Simple! Just take out the staples (if there are any) and fold the double page top to bottom and then in 1/2 and 1/2 again until it is the height you want (I like mine to be an inch to inch and 1/2) and roll them.

I like it better to fold all the pages first then secure them with small tabs of tape or glue.

When you are finished, secure the end. Add a cord if you like so it can hang in the kitchen pantry or on the back porch where you know they will always be.

I made 2 of them today for this purpose and one is a little smaller around than the other so when I stack them for added height, they are more stable. Better than having to lug out the step stool for just one thing!

Source: This method of paper crafting was originally seen by me as a magazine bowl where the paper strips are done the same way!

By Melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

I recycle my magazines by donating them to local gyms, offices, and salons. I just remove my name and personal information and drop them off. This way I'm not only preserving trees, but I'm also sharing with others information that I have received.

By katgirl from West Hartford, CT

When gluing paper crafts, I find it is easy to get glue all the way to the edges of the paper. Simply get an old, worn-out magazine to absorb the glue that goes past the edge. Then, peel off the glue-applied item and affix it in its permanent place. Now, simply turn that magazine page and you have another fresh surface as a glue-application backing. This way, there is no messy glue cleanup. Simply throw the magazine in the garbage when it is "used up."

By Miz Rosey from Abilene, TX

I drop off magazines and paperback books I have read at an elder care home near my home. I drive past it every day anyway, and it just takes a minute to do this kind gesture.

By Linda

Give your old magazines to hospitals, nursing homes, senior centers, schools or clinics. Schools need magazines for research and for children to cut pictures out of. Any where there is a waiting room there are people hoping for something to read.

Marianne

Here's an idea for packing material. Tear out magazine ads and stuff in boxes. My mom and I share magazines and then I leave them in public places for others to enjoy. If you don't have access to magazines, use junk mail.

By CS7 from Salem, OR

I finally found a GOOD use for all of my holiday magazines, and I will know where they are next year when I want them! I rolled them into a tube shape and wrapped my tree lights around them for storage.

What can you do with magazines besides crafts? I don't do arts and crafts. Can they be donated to any organizations? Shame to throw them away. Some I don't even get a chance to read.

Joan from NJ

I volunteer at a charity resale shop once a week. We sale recent and timeless ones (ex. cooking and home repair mags) that are donated to us. Usually the rest get tossed though.

I am sure you can always recycle them as well!!

My local library accepts donated magazines. If they are less than 3 months old, they'll put on the rack to be checked out. If they are older than that, they'll sell them at a reduced price. I just make sure I cut out or otherwise remove my name and address label first.

You can donate them to hospitals,dr's & dental surgeries, nursing homes,pre-schools & kindagardens for there craft days,libraries,some cafes and your local op shops like Red Cross & anywhere people have to wait for their appointments. Make sure all personal details are removed. I hope this helps you.

schools use them for crafts. ask a teacher if they are wanted.

medical clinics

hospitals

nursing homes

beauty shops

make sure you take your name and address off first

This is what I do. I keep 2 Brown Paper Bags in my Garage. One is for Magazines that will be Recycled. The other Paper Bag is for a Nursing Home that is nearby. Every month, I go through my old magazines that I will give to the Nursing Home & 1) Cut out my Name & Address and 2) Mark on each one the Month and Year that I received them. The Nursing Home Folks love to see me coming through their doors with my Paper Bag full of Magazines and Catalogs that I know other's will enjoy! It's my way of giving to those who are in a Nursing Home.

freecycle.org

you sign up by where you live.

People post things they want to give away

The whole idea is that someone can use things that are still good and shouldn't fill landfills

Take them to a nursing home, a hospital waiting room, doc or dentist office,a library bookstore or call your local alementary school and see if any teacher want them for crafts, collages, etc.

I often take my older magazies to the library...or to a nursing home or assisted living home...I also call some teacher friends and ask if they can use any for class projects...hope this helps, deb

i would check with your local elementary schools and communtiy centers.

first see if the library might want them. if not how about an elementary school or even a welfare office, doctors's office. etc.

One other place that could use reading material is the shelter for abused women. They appreciate anything to get their minds off their ordeals. Often they will have children with them ranging in age from infants to teens. Any time you have an opportunity to salvage kids' magazines this is the place that really needs them.

Possibly sell them on ebay. Check closed auctions on ebay. Some older magazines will sell.

You can check with the jail in your town. They may take them for the inmates to read. They will not however take any hardback books.

You might donate them to a senior citizen clubhouse, or drop some off at a dentist/doctor's office. Might donate them to a church for their rummage sale or to an organization like The Elks Lodge for an upcoming yard sale to make money for gift baskets for the needy. Just be sure to cut off your magazine's subscription tag with your address on it.

When I was a teen, for something "to do", I cut out pictures from magazines and decopaged a metal trash can using the magazine photos. I used it for many years. Just a thought.

Look for your local FREECycle organization. In my area it is done by zip code. You can find Free cycle in the groups area of yahoo.com. OR simply type freecycle.org. It is a GREAT concept. You are trying to rid of stuff and someone else might like it for free - they come and get it. Saves the landfills.

I usually leave them at a laundramat. The people there are sometimes bored while waiting on their laundry to finish washing and drying, and they can take them home with them. They are always gone in no time.

I cut out pictures of flowers, trees, snow, for seasons of the year. I place them taped down in my mail basket, and it looks nice on the porch.

A good way to recycle magazines and newspapers is to put them in a paper shredder and use the shreds for packing parcels! This works great! Looks neat too if you use magazines as the shreds are colourful.

Source: I wrote this tip

By Lisa from Halifax

Answers:

Shred Newspapers And Magazines For Packing

I do this also, but use it for mulching my plants. It also keeps the weeds down. (03/08/2008)

By Danialle

If you use if for mulching, do you wet it so it doesn't blow away? (03/08/2008)

By tnrfitz

Use the shredded newsprint for animal waste instead of sand or litter. Use the glossy magazine pages for making the best paper mache' crafts possible. You'll not regret it. God bless you. : ) (03/09/2008)

By Lynda