Crafts Made With Magazines

Crafters, don't throw away your old magazines. They can be reused in many craft projects. This is a guide about crafts made with magazines.

I love to make my own cards and gift bags and I love magazines (I get a ton). When I want to make card for a certain holiday, let say Halloween, I just pull out my latest magazine, (they always arrive a month ahead of time) and look for cute pictures of pumpkins, black cats and other Halloween related pictures. If I can't find what I want, I pull out an older issue of the same month.

To make it even easier, go through each magazine as you get it and cut out any cute or interesting pictures. Save them in a file until you need them. You can use them for scrap booking, crafting, collages and more. If your kid likes a certain cartoon character, you could look for pics of it in your magazines and make a nice collage for them to hang on their wall. Other people might like a neat collage of their favorite things: dogs, cats, airplanes, etc. Almost any nice picture you find in your fav magazine can be framed and given as a gift or even keep it yourself.

By Jennifer from Conyers, GA

I made a very pretty bedspread with pictures I saved from magazines a friend gave me. I used iron on paper and muslin cloth cut into 12 inch squares. Hope you can see how I did it, thanks.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

I use magazine inserts to give some of my craft projects stability

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Instructions:

I am on a tight budget. I have some 4 inch letters that I have cutout for making my greeting cards. But I found the paper was strong enough, so I decided to add some stability to my cutouts and letters by using magazine inserts. Here is how I do it.

First I select a the paper that I want to use. I glue the magazine insert to the back of the paper. Wait about 10 minutes for the paper to dry.

Next, trace your cutout or letter in permanent black marker(or a marker that you can see). Now you are ready to cut out the shape.

This method is not as strong as chipboard, but it does give your project a little more stability and you can also use glue pads to give your project some extra added dimension.

By Georgetta from Waterloo, IA

I have piles of old glossy magazines and I don't want to just throw them away. Can somebody please help me? I want to make Christmas crafts out of them. Thanks!

Loi from Philippines

Answers

Especially with Readers Digest size -- you can fold page toward center evenly forming a triangle, then with the left over bottom of the page fold upward to met that triangle edge. Do every page. When finished staple covers (and extra page if believe necessary). Stand up and it forms a perfect Christmas tree. Spray paint green.

Or you can always recycle them!

I did this as a project when I was younger. That is all I can think to do with read magazines

Merry Christmas!
Mary Litlamb02 AT AOL.com

When I was little, one Christmas season I cut out bits from colored photos in magazines and glued the bits onto good-sized matchboxes. Then my mother gave the matchboxes as gifts and used some in our house too. During the holidays in the States, lots of people like to use candles or light fireplaces during the holiday season and having festive matchboxes on a coffee table or mantel can be nice.

When I visit orphanages in Tijuana, Mexico, nowadays, kids and adults often tell me about how they cut up magazines to create posters and cards.

Certainly I've used lots of photos from magazines when creating flashcards or Bingo cards to use while teaching English or French - to kids and adults.

Here is a website showing how to make beads like I used to make when I was a little girl from old magazines. Chris

http://www.suit  n.cfm/18889/2241

small gift card envelopes : open an old gift card envelope to make a pattern & trace how ever many you need onto the magazine page.If you didn't cut exactly along the line you traced simply fold the lines toward the inside.Embelish if you want to with whatever kind of ribbons or lace or other you happen to find to your taste. Paste,glue or use a cute sticker to seal !

My daughter thinned Elmers glue with water and pasted pictures cut from magazines on the flat surface of craft stones (clear). She then trimmed the picture after it had dried and glued a heavy duty magnet to the back, as gifts for her friends. She got this idea from a craft fair where they were selling the magnets for $1.00! She used pictures from her teen magazines of her favorite "stars" and her sport teams! They are cute and you can purchase different sized stones.

You can also use some spray adhesive glue and apply pictures to clear vinyl and make purses, makeup bags, etc by sewing the vinyl together, attaching straps, etc... here's a pic of a Rolling Stones/Johnny cash purse someone was selling on ebay! (I have made similar and they are very popular!)

You can make Christmas trees out of them if you want.
Just rip the front and back covers off. Then fold the paper till they are half a square with a flap down the bottom. Bring the side over the the edge of the page. There will be a flap down the bottom so fold the up to the edge of the page.
Continue until of the magal=zine is done then spray paint any colour you wnt

Does anyone have a pattern for a two or three fold wallet? I would like to use magazine pictures to make it. How many plys of plastic will I have to use and were can I buy it.

Brenda

Answers

I would use either packing tape or clear shelf liner. Use as many layers as you need to get the desired thickness. You could also sandwhich your pic between 8 layers of clear plastic bags melt them between layers of paper sacks. Use your iron on low, and practice first. you can find tutorials for this by searching on reusing plastic bags. Do this with plenty of ventilation. This can be machine stiched.

Does anyone have instructions on how to make magazine purses?

Diannia Texas

Answers

Anonymous

Hi Diannia,
Here is a website with the instructions and photos to make the purse:

http://www.doll  m/bloggish/?p=36

Hope this helps you and please let us see photos when you are done!
Maryanne
http://www.teapotcottage.com

We have lots of magazines and I would love to make something out of them with my granddaughter. Any ideas?

By Angie