Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Old T-Shirts

1 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Uses for Old T-Shirts, Mass of brightly colored clothing.

Old t-shirts have a lot of second life uses. Whether you are a crafter or are looking for other ways to reuse them, the possibilities are numerous. This is a guide about uses for old t-shirts.

Solutions: Uses for Old T-Shirts

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Reuse T-shirts for Hand Rags

I enjoy the luxury of having a clean paper towel to wipe all and any messes, but I'm not okay with how fast I could go through a roll, the loss of forests, and the expense.

I live in a household overrun with guys so we have t-shirts coming out of our ears. I take 3-4 of the oldest when I see they are getting raggedy, I get out my good scissors and start whacking away. First the sleeves, cut outside the shoulder seam, and trim away the under seam. I trim away neck and shoulder seams on rest of shirt and cut into 5-8 inch pieces, very crudely. Into the rag drawer in the kitchen they go.

I use them once or twice just like a paper towel, from wiping babies chins, to cleaning up a spill. Then into the washing machine. Almost every load has a few of the little rags. If I clean up something like oil, I throw it away. Because they are washed after 1-2 uses, they stay clean, and because I toss them into the wash as soon as I've used them, nobody really sees them for more than a minute.

It doesn't matter what they look like; strictly a utilitarian function. I'm not sure but others might clean more often because they can use a clean cloth whenever they want.

So I have a large supply of ready, clean, dry rags, and no expense, and no eco-guilt.

Source: My own reluctance to see so much fabric go to waste.

By pikka from Westminster, CO

Tip: Use Old T-Shirts as Swiffer Pads

I use old T-shirts and sweatshirts to make replacement pads for my Swiffer Sweeper. I just cut rectangles large enough to fit around the Sweeper. Make sure you have enough left to poke into the holes that hold it in place. I use the rest of the shirts, sleeves and all, as dust rags. They can be washed or discarded.

By Luci M. [4]

Tip: Old T-Shirts As Garment Covers

Use old T-shirts to cover your suits and coats on hangers. Just slip the T-shirt over the hanging clothes, letting the T-shirt sleeves hang free. The knit T-shirt fabric breathes, allowing air to circulate while keeping dust off your good clothing. It's better than a plastic bag, and it's free!

By zballoongirl

Crafts Using Recycled T-Shirts

Loose ball of cut up t-shirts for crafting.Recycling old clothing into new items is not only green, but also, great fun. Making rugs and other craft items from recycled t-shirts is a popular activity. This is a guide about crafts using recycled t-shirts.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Uses for Old T-Shirts.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Uses for Old T-Shirts

What do you do with old T-shirts?