Uses for Self-Rising Flour

I bought a 5 lb. bag of self-rising flour to use in one specific recipe, now I have most of the bag leftover and wondered how I might use it up? Can I use it in a recipe that calls for all-purpose flour and baking powder and just leave out the leavening? Could it be used for biscuits perhaps?

Thanks,
Debbie from IL

Answers:

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

Hope this is of help, you can use self raising flour instead of all purpose flower for baking cakes, sponges, pancakes, anything that rises when cooking. We use it all the time in England as there is no such product as all purpose flour! (06/18/2006)

By griffacec

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

I use self-rising flour in a buttermilk pancake recipe (with buttermilk) and my family likes the pancakes better than with the mixes. (06/18/2006)

By Nancy

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

I make beer bread with it. You don't have to use beer any carbonated beverage will do.

• 3 cups self rising floor
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 12 oz. beer

Mix well and turn into a greased 9x5 bread pan. Bake 350 for about 40 minutes or until it is nicely browned. You can spread butter on the top of the loaf, when it is done if you wish.
Different flavored sodas will give you different flavored breads. This bread is really good when used as a "dipper". Enjoy. (06/18/2006)

By Xummer's Nana

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

Self rising already has the baking powder and salt in it, so just leave those out when using this flour. (06/19/2006)

By micksgirl

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

Self-rising flour is what I always use for biscuits. Just add water to the thickness you want, then after sprinkling extra flour on top, I squeeze out the size biscuit I want, pat it down, place in oil, turn over then bake.

My mother-in-law always had perfect biscuits and I asked her how she made them so that they were always perfect. She told me it was a secret, that she used self-rising flour. That is all I have used for the past 20 years. (06/19/2006)

By Eletha C.

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

In SA, all-purpose flour is known as cake flour, or "koekmeel" in Afrikaans. (06/29/2006)

By Willem

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

All purpose flour is also known as plain flour. By the way I'm from England, as well. (10/15/2006)

By jocess07

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

I have a very easy bread recipe for self-rising bread; 3 cups self-rising flour, 2 Tablespoons sugar, one 12 oz can room temperature beer. Work into dough place in bread tin and bake for about an hour. It's a crusty bread and so easy to make. (02/17/2008)

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

Self rising can replace all-purpose flour in just about any recipe. Simply omit baking soda, salt, and baking powder where it appears in the recipe you are using. Does anyone know of a simple bread recipe? (anything but beer/soda-bread)
(05/26/2008)

By Danny

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

Re. Recipe for bread not using beer. SODA BREAD, its delicious, incredibly easy, no yeast and hardly any work. I just love it. This link takes you to BBC recipe website. I use self raising flour for almost all my recipes and bake/cook a lot and always get great results.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/irishsodabread_67445.shtml .

Whilst on the site type in PARKIN this is a Yorkshire cake and it is just scrummy. My children love it especially coming home from school as a little snack. The longer you keep it the more delicious it gets - doesn't get much chance in our house. I have altered the Parkin recipe at home to use soft brown sugar (sifted) this just makes the mixture richer still. Enjoy. (01/17/2009)

By Sarah G.

Self Rising Flour
Baking With Self Rising Flour
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
Bread Machine
Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine
🎄