Baking With Self Rising Flour

Category Baking
A flour that has leavening and salt already added to it. This guide is about baking with self rising flour.

If a recipes calls for flour, baking powder, and soda can I use self rising flour instead? If I can, how would I measure it to be the same?

By Laura

Answers

Best Answer

Measure the flour the same. Just omit the baking soda and baking powder.

Best Answer

If a recipe calls for baking soda, it usually has an acid along with it, such as buttermilk or vinegar or cream of tartar or sour cream. If you totally omit the baking soda, and have an acid, you will not get the desired result in your recipe.

I believe that self rising flour contains baking powder only. It should substitute nicely for the same volume of regular flour and baking powder.

Can you use Presto self rising flour to cook chicken wings?

By niteagle77 from East Hampton, NY

Answers

Best Answer

Self rising already has the baking powder and salt in it, so just leave those out when using this flour.

Best Answer

It is fine to use that. The only difference in self rising flour and all purpose is that self rising flour has salt and baking power added to it. It is about 1/2 tsp each for every cup in the bag. Hope that helps.

Do you still need yeast to make bread with self rising flour?

By Jerry from Kerrville, TX

Answers

Best Answer

For regular bread, yes, you will still need yeast. Self-rising flour has baking soda and baking powder in it, not yeast. It will rise by itself for biscuits or quick-breads, where you would normally use baking soda and baking powder.

But for a good, quick bread, mix 3 cups of the self-rising flour, 2 to 4 tablespoons of sugar and a bottle of beer or other carbonated beverage. Pour in a greased (or sprayed) loaf pan, pour a little melted butter over it, and bake at 350 for around an hour. MMMMMMMMMMM.

Best Answer

Yes certainly. You also need Strong Plain Flour which is specially for breadmaking. It contains a lot more gluten.

Do you put baking soda in self rising flour?

By Rosie

Answers

Best Answer

Not unless you are using a recipe that specifically calls for self-rising flour and baking soda.

Can I use plain flour and baking powder instead of self rising flour?

Patsy from Tilsworth, United Kingdom

Answers

Best Answer

Yes you can, Patsy. For every 2 cups of flour, add 1 Tablespoon of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of salt....sift it all together :)

I bought a 5 lb. bag of self-rising flour to use in one specific recipe, now I have most of the bag leftover and wondered how I might use it up? Can I use it in a recipe that calls for all-purpose flour and baking powder and just leave out the leavening? Could it be used for biscuits perhaps?

Thanks,
Debbie from IL

Answers:

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

Hope this is of help, you can use self raising flour instead of all purpose flower for baking cakes, sponges, pancakes, anything that rises when cooking. We use it all the time in England as there is no such product as all purpose flour! (06/18/2006)

By griffacec

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

I use self-rising flour in a buttermilk pancake recipe (with buttermilk) and my family likes the pancakes better than with the mixes. (06/18/2006)

By Nancy

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

I make beer bread with it. You don't have to use beer any carbonated beverage will do.

Mix well and turn into a greased 9x5 bread pan. Bake 350 for about 40 minutes or until it is nicely browned. You can spread butter on the top of the loaf, when it is done if you wish.
Different flavored sodas will give you different flavored breads. This bread is really good when used as a "dipper". Enjoy. (06/18/2006)

By Xummer's Nana

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

Self rising already has the baking powder and salt in it, so just leave those out when using this flour. (06/19/2006)

By micksgirl

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

Self-rising flour is what I always use for biscuits. Just add water to the thickness you want, then after sprinkling extra flour on top, I squeeze out the size biscuit I want, pat it down, place in oil, turn over then bake.

My mother-in-law always had perfect biscuits and I asked her how she made them so that they were always perfect. She told me it was a secret, that she used self-rising flour. That is all I have used for the past 20 years. (06/19/2006)

By Eletha C.

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

In SA, all-purpose flour is known as cake flour, or "koekmeel" in Afrikaans. (06/29/2006)

By Willem

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

All purpose flour is also known as plain flour. By the way I'm from England, as well. (10/15/2006)

By jocess07

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

I have a very easy bread recipe for self-rising bread; 3 cups self-rising flour, 2 Tablespoons sugar, one 12 oz can room temperature beer. Work into dough place in bread tin and bake for about an hour. It's a crusty bread and so easy to make. (02/17/2008)

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

Self rising can replace all-purpose flour in just about any recipe. Simply omit baking soda, salt, and baking powder where it appears in the recipe you are using. Does anyone know of a simple bread recipe? (anything but beer/soda-bread)
(05/26/2008)

By Danny

Uses for Self-Rising Flour

Re. Recipe for bread not using beer. SODA BREAD, its delicious, incredibly easy, no yeast and hardly any work. I just love it. This link takes you to BBC recipe website. I use self raising flour for almost all my recipes and bake/cook a lot and always get great results.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/irishsodabread_67445.shtml .

Whilst on the site type in PARKIN this is a Yorkshire cake and it is just scrummy. My children love it especially coming home from school as a little snack. The longer you keep it the more delicious it gets - doesn't get much chance in our house. I have altered the Parkin recipe at home to use soft brown sugar (sifted) this just makes the mixture richer still. Enjoy. (01/17/2009)

By Sarah G.