Share Crafts

Uses for Shoulder Pads

Uses for Shoulder Pads

Shoulder pads go in and out of style, but your garment is often still wearable. This guide contains uses for shoulder pads.

Solutions: Uses for Shoulder Pads

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Soft Sculpture Butterflies

Soft sculpture butterflies made from shoulder pads. Imagine yourself at a yard sale and you just found the most beautiful blouse and they only want a $1.00 for it, but it is dated with those shoulder pads that they seemed to put into all expensive clothing. So you decide "what the heck, I will buy the blouse anyway and get rid of the shoulder pads."

Well if you are like me, you now have a stack of shoulder pads from clothing that you have bought. Ever wondered what you could make with the shoulder pads?

Well I have seen them made into the wings of angels at Christmas, but I came up with this idea to use them for spring. You can add a magnet to the smaller ones to hang on your refrigerator or hang them by fishing line in a window to brighten it up for spring. They also would make a neat decoration on a birthday gift or a shower gift. Add a pin back and they could hang on your drapes or be pinned to your tie backs to hold back your drapes or curtains. This is a craft that could even be done by kids if you choose not to use a hot glue gun. With this craft you have a thing of beauty for just pennies.

Time to complete: A half hour

• two shoulder pads
  • 1 chenille stick or wired beads
  • lace or any wired beads or eyelash yarn You only need small amounts so any leftover trims will work
  • glue on gems or beads or ribbon roses or flowers to decorate
  • hot glue gun or quick drying glue
  • glue sticks

Scrunch up shoulder pads in the middle and secure with chenille stick or wired beads. Glue lace to each wing and decorate with glue on gems or beads.

By Debra Frick

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Shoulder Pad Angel Christmas Ornament

My friend made me two Christmas ornaments from shoulder pads, she had removed from her clothing. Really cute.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Uses for Shoulder Pads.

Question: Uses for Shoulder Pads

Would anyone have any ideas for alternative uses for shoulder pads? I have quite a collection. I can't find anything on the Web. Thanks.

By Cindyluhu from Melbourne, FL

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

You could use a smaller one as a pin cushion by folding it in half and sewing or gluing closed and then even sew a bit of elastic to it to use as a wrist pin cushion.

Fold in half, sew almost all the way closed, fill with cat nip and finish sewing closed as a cat toy ;-)

Use as cleaning sponges.

I know this sounds weird but depending on the shape and size you could cut and sew rubberized cloth, such as baby changing cloth, on one side or simply cut the rubberized cloth to fit and place on the crotch of your panties and then the pad on top of that to use when having a period or if you 'leak'. They would be easily washable and you can use over and over again while saving oodles of money on disposable pads!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Cloth to Use as Padding for Bras

I sew and would like to know where I can obtain cloth to use as padding for my bras.

Delene from Modesto, CA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Joan 13 1,482 07/24/2009

It would be nice if the bra companies would make the molded bras in really large sizes. Not every large woman has a large breast to balance out her figure.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: What to do with Shoulder Pads

Does anyone have any good ideas on what can be done with shoulder pads that have been removed from clothing? I was thinking of some way to make a funky quilt or pillows or more craft oriented project. Not sure what, just something

Pin Cushion
Post by Annette
I sewed two of them together for a pin cushion. I am sure with some creativity you could make them look like something. Maybe if they were red and had 4 you could have a lady bug. Just a thought.

Protecting Clothing
Post by mlwray
I have sewn the shoulder pads onto the ends of clothes hangers, this keeps the ends of the hanger from leaving marks in knit fabrics.
Post by Nicole
I haven't used any of the shoulder pads that I have. But I usually rip them out of clothing since I have broad shoulders. I've been saving the ones that are the same color or pattern of the blouse, shirt, dress. I'm going to make barrettes out of mine using the metal snap barrettes that are used on the hair bows. They can be bought at various craft stores, etc.

Also if you have some in which the original stuff is no longer on you can use those, I have those laying around myself. Just use the appropriate glue and your imagination. I'm saving up till I have several so that I can have an afternoon of doing the barrettes.

Nicole N Niehaus

Various Ideas
Post by ALekscat
Shoulder pads are great for cleaning things & polishing things!

Don't buy an expensive Wonder bra if you need a bra that helps fill out your cleavage. Just use those shoulder pads in your regular bra!

Use them as padding when storing fragile items.

They could make a pad for a chair for doll's chair.

They are good elbow & knee pads when gardening. Just tie them to your legs or arms.

ALekscat the frugal feline in Richmond, VA

Angel Ornaments
Post by Mrs. Smith
You can also use shoulder pads to make angel ornaments for your Christmas tree. Just sew lace onto the rough edge on the bottom of the shoulder pad. Fold the two corners in, and stitch them into place to look like the arms (praying). Then add a little wooden face, some hair, whatever decoration you like. The shoulder pad will form the body/dress of your angel.

Mrs. Smith

Bra Support
Post by fayth81
You can also use shoulder pads in your bras ladies. Just sew them or tack them to the bottom of your bras to help hold up and support your boobs. Especially useful for big busted women or for older women.
Butterfly Craft
Post By Linne
Twist a Pipe Cleaner (Chenille Stick) around the middle of a shoulder pad, leaving enough at top for antennae and make a butterfly. You can also Glue a Magnet on them for the fridge. I've seen these at craft shows and they're pretty cute.

Linne Dodds

Preventing Hanger Marks
Post By jradcliff
I sew them on the ends of hangers so I can hang my sweaters without having them develop hanger marks on the shoulders.

For Earrings
Post by Joes' Girl
I use the discarded shoulder pad inserts to put my pierced earrings into. Since then I have not lost a one or a pair since. Regards,

Joes' Girl

Cat Toys
Post By Liz
If you have cats they love to play with them and bat them around.

Donate Them
Post by badwater
If I'm giving any donations of clothing to charity, I include shoulder pads that I've taken out of blouses, etc. in case there are others out there who might want to put them in something they bought, that don't already have shoulder pads in them.
Protecting Your Knees When Gardening
Post by econ o'miser
Never tried this, but could you stitch a short piece of elastic to link the two edges, and use as kneelers for gardening or floor polishing? Wear on the outside of your trousers, to prevent wear and tear and give some protection to your knees.

Remember to take them off before answering the door! Unless you don't mind the odd looks, that is.

Polishing Metal
Post by Thrifty_Fun
When discarding old clothes collect the shoulder pads and save them to use when polishing metal, such as silver, brass or stainless steel. Their soft padding and small convenient size makes them great for the job. One pad for cleaning and another pad for polishing off. Then wash or throw away.

By Mary

Protecting Your Heels
Post by Suzanne S.
Found a new use. I took the really thin pads and used them at the heel of my new shoes (cut to fit) to keep my heels from blistering. I imagine it would work just as well at the toe.
They Will Come Back!
Post by Cavelady
Save them because, god forbid, they will be back in style in 15 years!
RE: What to do with Shoulder Pads
Yve. (Guest Post)
Just unpicked another pair of shoulder pads and wondered what I could do with the heap I seem to have. Loved all your suggestions especially the pierced earring one. I haven't got pierced ears as I couldn't bear the pain but my grand daughter has. Thanks I had a real chuckle!