Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Shoulder Pads

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Uses for Shoulder Pads

Shoulder pads go in and out of style, but your garment is often still wearable. This guide contains uses for shoulder pads.

Solutions: Uses for Shoulder Pads

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Soft Sculpture Butterflies

Soft sculpture butterflies made from shoulder pads. Imagine yourself at a yard sale and you just found the most beautiful blouse and they only want a $1.00 for it, but it is dated with those shoulder pads that they seemed to put into all expensive clothing. So you decide "what the heck, I will buy the blouse anyway and get rid of the shoulder pads."

Well if you are like me, you now have a stack of shoulder pads from clothing that you have bought. Ever wondered what you could make with the shoulder pads?

Well I have seen them made into the wings of angels at Christmas, but I came up with this idea to use them for spring. You can add a magnet to the smaller ones to hang on your refrigerator or hang them by fishing line in a window to brighten it up for spring. They also would make a neat decoration on a birthday gift or a shower gift. Add a pin back and they could hang on your drapes or be pinned to your tie backs to hold back your drapes or curtains. This is a craft that could even be done by kids if you choose not to use a hot glue gun. With this craft you have a thing of beauty for just pennies.

Time to complete: A half hour

Materials:

• two shoulder pads
  • 1 chenille stick or wired beads
  • lace or any wired beads or eyelash yarn You only need small amounts so any leftover trims will work
  • glue on gems or beads or ribbon roses or flowers to decorate
  • hot glue gun or quick drying glue
  • glue sticks

Instructions

Scrunch up shoulder pads in the middle and secure with chenille stick or wired beads. Glue lace to each wing and decorate with glue on gems or beads.

By Debra Frick

Tip: Shoulder Pad Angel Christmas Ornament

My friend made me two Christmas ornaments from shoulder pads, she had removed from her clothing. Really cute.

She covered the pads with white material, then again with white netting or lace. She glued a medium sized craft clothes pin, (not the spring kind) which she had painted white. She also gathered net or lace, attached with small dot of hot glue at back, around the middle of the pin for a skirt. Then painted a pink face on the top and added some embroidery thread for hair. Then she placed a small gold band attached to a short piece of pipe stem cleaner and glued to the back of pin to make a halo.

Next she added a pipe stem cleaners for arms, she added net sleeves on one, glued to the back of pin. Hot glued the pin body in the middle of pad which made shoulder pad the wings to an angel. Added a braided thread or folded thin ribbon to back of pad to hang the ornament on the tree.

These can be dressed and decorated, fancy or plain to suit your taste. I gave one to each of my two grandchildren. I used a mark-a-lot and attached their names on small cloth label and the date I gave them.

By Gladys H.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Uses for Shoulder Pads.

Question: Uses for Shoulder Pads

Would anyone have any ideas for alternative uses for shoulder pads? I have quite a collection. I can't find anything on the Web. Thanks.

By Cindyluhu from Melbourne, FL

Most Recent Answer

09/24/2009

You could use a smaller one as a pin cushion by folding it in half and sewing or gluing closed and then even sew a bit of elastic to it to use as a wrist pin cushion.

Fold in half, sew almost all the way closed, fill with cat nip and finish sewing closed as a cat toy ;-)

Use as cleaning sponges.

I know this sounds weird but depending on the shape and size you could cut and sew rubberized cloth, such as baby changing cloth, on one side or simply cut the rubberized cloth to fit and place on the crotch of your panties and then the pad on top of that to use when having a period or if you 'leak'. They would be easily washable and you can use over and over again while saving oodles of money on disposable pads!

Question: Cloth to Use as Padding for Bras

I sew and would like to know where I can obtain cloth to use as padding for my bras.

Delene from Modesto, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [13]07/24/2009

It would be nice if the bra companies would make the molded bras in really large sizes. Not every large woman has a large breast to balance out her figure.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Uses for Shoulder Pads

I have many pairs of used shoulder pads. What can I use them for?

Sharon from Illinois

Answers:
What to do with Shoulder Pads 04/04/2006
(format_html)90 things to do with shoulder pads: This is in response to article from 2002 on this website. Yes, shoulder pads are from the 80's and are passe. But I still have shoeboxes of them. What can be done with them? Well...over a period of a year, these are some ideas my family contributed to a list on. Here they are.
  • Stuffing them in your bra creates an instant Wonder Bra.
  • Use as a catcher's mit or baseball mit.
  • Knee pads.
  • Packaging
  • Put in hat to fit better
  • Bird nest stuffing
  • Pillow stuffing
  • Beanie Babies
  • Ears for stuffed animals
  • Mickey Mouse hat ears
  • Use a part of mobile for baby's crib as half moons.
  • Crash barriers for hot wheels
  • Jewelry packing
  • Odor eaters
  • Help shoes retain shape
  • Heel guards for shoes
  • Tape to bottom of shoes to walk silently. (Sell to robbers and new parents.)
  • Pillow for pet hampster.
  • Bed for pet mouse.
  • Cold compresses.
  • Cusion for doll furniture
  • Eye pads
  • Gag for overtalkative person
  • Blindfold
  • Earmuffs
  • Elbow pads
  • Wrist rest
  • Duck tape them to your garden tools to prevent blisters
  • Seath cusion stuffing
  • Stuffing for worlds largest shoulder pad
  • Rest your eyeglasses on them.
  • Coasters
  • Sew them in your clothing to make shoulders.
  • Carry to open public bathroom doors with.
  • Throw away
  • Paper towel substitute
  • Hot pads
  • Pot holders
  • Trivet
  • Wrap pipes with
  • Use as filler for trash to get your money's worth
  • Put them in bottom of sackes for Goodwill to make them look fuller
  • Exhaust pipe stuffing for practical joke
  • Soft sculpture
  • Duck bill
  • Puppet mouth
  • Earrings
  • Eye patch
  • Mittens
  • Slippers for your children
  • When your children want to set up a band, give them to them as cymbals or put on drumsticks and tell them how much better they sound.
  • Miniature train set mountains.
  • False beard
  • Corn pads
  • Hair curlers
  • Plug leaks in your roof
  • Baby wipes
  • Wipe sweat from your brow
  • Face mask
  • Tea cozy
  • Insulation for building
  • Cup Insulator
  • Add adhesive tape and you have a good bandage
  • Cap bill
  • Wallet stuffer to impress robbers when you hand over your fake wallet
  • Under arm pads to keep sweat from showing under your clothes
  • Incontinence pads
  • Joan Crawford Halloween Costume
  • Surgical masks
  • Angel wings
  • Sew on shirts and use for pockets
  • Quilt or comforter pieces
  • Washcloth
  • Drain plug
  • Doll pillows
  • Epaulets
  • Outside scales for fish, mermaid, or dragon costume.
  • Butterfly wings on a plant decorator stick
  • Telephone pads
  • Desk mat
  • Cushioning for sun visor
  • Door bumpers
  • Chair bumpers
  • Diskette holder
  • CD holder
  • Pin cushion
  • Roll your own cigarette casings
  • Shoe bottoms
  • Dust rags
  • Mop floor
- - 04/04/2006
Oh, I have always wanted to have a pile of them! I have wanted to make a quilt with them by fitting them together and hand or machine sewing them. Imagine a quilt or a baby changing pad, etc. So, I do not have them so you can do it for me ;)
By sshep
- - 04/04/2006
use them for elbow and knee pads, just but elastic on them can pin in place or stitch with needle or machine. dgd, age 2 1/2, recently broke her are on a trampoline, these might have saved her arm, if i had thought of it sooner! also for knee and elbow pad for riding bicycles and even for letting children play outside, less "bobos". use as knee pads in the garden, by attaching elastic. may have to sew two together for garden.
By justmyimagination2002
- - 04/05/2006
My dad uses them to wax his vehicles. They are similiar to the pads you get in the tubs of car wax, but free!!
By Kathy (Guest Post)
- - 04/05/2006
The best use for the silky covered shoulder pads is to put them under the legs of something heavy you want to move. They will slide right across the floor.
By jaxi3
- - 04/06/2006
Funny! I have a pair of pads sitting right here waiting for me to do something with them. I just removed them yesterday from a dress I bought at a yard sale, which incidentally ended up too big so I'll have to put it in my yard sale. 90 things to do with shoulder pads - really started my day with some chuckles. But seriously, I did get at least one useful idea. I belong to an organization that helps the local animal shelter. We have annual fund raisers (car washes, coin drops, etc.) and have a couple of animal costumes, but they're usually a little too warm for most of the year. Maybe I can use a hair band and a couple of pads for some cat ears and do some face painting.
By karenIM

Archive: Uses for Shoulder Pads

I always remove the shoulder pads from new outfits. I would like to find out some uses to recycle these shoulder pads.