Uses for Spearmint

Spearmint has many culinary, herbal remedy, and other surprising uses. This is a guide about uses for spearmint.

Photo fo a spearmint plant.

July 13, 2010 Flag

SpearmintIf you have ever planted spearmint, you know that it is prolific! I have lots of it, and lots to spare. So here are 12 things to do with spearmint!

1. I place a branch (with leaves) in my car. When the sunlight heats it up, it releases its delicious scent naturally in the car and the leaves are even drying out for other uses!

2. Leave branches by open windows to add a fresh scent in the house.

3. Add a few leaves in your bathwater.

4. Sprinkle leaves in a dish in the bathroom to keep smells at bay.

5. Leaves in the cat litter box won't hurt either and cats seem to actually like the leaves! Catnip IS a mint you know!

6. Leaves left by any small critter cage (gerbils, hamsters, ferrets, etc) fights odors too.

7. A few leaves and a touch of oil or water in my electric potpourri smells great!

8. Of course it can be dried as a potpourri.

9. A sprig next to my bed stand it very relaxing at nighttime.

10. Keep a fresh sprig in a plastic bag in a purse or refrigerator is great for freshening breath after dinner, preventing stomach upsets, and may help you not to overindulge with sweets/unnecessary calories! It may be left on each person's plate for a fancy addition after a particularly spicy or garlicky meal.

11. They may be left in your shoes or sneakers to freshen them in between wears!

12. Plus they may be rubbed onto the skin when you get hot and start to perspire!

I haven't even mentioned all the wonderful drinks and foods it is normally added to! Some folks freeze a few leaves in ice cube trays to add to soups or drinks too! Fun and fancy. Enjoy!

By AHA! from Sterling, PA

I just read yesterday that mice do not like the smell of spearmint so it makes a good natural mice repellant.

What a fantastic list! Makes me want to race out and buy a spearmint plant!

PainterLee, I'll race you to the store! I love this list!

Add to the pan when boiling new/fresh dug potatoes - gives a lovely flavour (I put the boiled mint into the compost bin) - marvellous with waxy salad potatoes.

March 17, 2009 Flag

Eucalyptus Spearmint Bath SaltsI love this scent combination when my body is feeling tired. But buying it at the store is much too expensive. So I figured out how to make my own eucalyptus spearmint blend. I placed the salts in a jar I painted with dots. It's all green, in honor of my spring fever.

Approximate Time: 5 minutes

1. Pour the salt and baking soda in a small bowl. Mix together.
  2. Add essential oils and mix well.
  3. Split the mixture into two even batches.
  4. Place the second half in a separate bowl. Add food coloring to bowl and mix well.
  5. Tilt a glass jar and pour a little of the plain salt in. Pour some green salt in. Repeat switching until bottle is full. This will give you the neat, multi wave effect.

By Aysha from Boise, ID

Editor's Note: To see how Aysha made this beautiful bottle, see her previous post here:

Sounds great - just out of interest, I take it the food colouring is diluted so much, in the bath, it doesn't leave you with a green tint?

Yup! As long as you only use a little food coloring, 2 drops, in the batch, it doesn't stain. Since the non-colored salt will also be mixing with the green when you pour it out, it helps dilute the color even further.

May 4, 2007 Flag

Beware of the coming seasonal flying insects that are attracted to floral and fruity scents! Be as safe as possible and invest in a bottle of Ivory Liquid dish soap and put 10-12 drops of wintergreen, spearmint or peppermint essential oil in it and shake it up! You will feel especially clean and the bugs will like you a lot less! (I use mine on my person and in my hair!)

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

This makes a lot of sense, AND will help diring the much needed bath after contact with sweat and insects. It beats garlic water/oil ANYDAY. I wonder if herbal mint or Lemon Balm, a member of the mints, can be freshly ground up and used in place of expensive essential oil? Wouldn't you know, my garlic and Lemon Balm have actually STOPPED repelling these HYBRID TX mosquitos this year, so far. A brief stroll through them stirs up whole families

of mosquitos nesting beneath them on the moist cool ground/shade and my ankles/backs of knees

are becoming their prime targets/feasts! I've heard of certain insects/roaches becoming "resistant" to pest sprays, requiring more to be discovered, but this is absolutely RIDICULOUS that these bugs are

doing the same thing, somehow. Regardless, I'm staying ORGANIC, and will have to find another natural repellent. God bless you. : )

Do I understand correctly - you use this mixture as body wash and shampoo?

I use lavendar body wash and lotion, that works too. Mint oil is very expensive and effective. I have also heard of washing your clothes with a few drops of peppermint. I just put some drops of oil on the bottom of my shirt. Oils to keep the pests away: mint, lavendar, lemongrass and thyme. Hope you don't get bugged!

p.s. washing your hair with dish soap? or do you mean the hand stuff? or does ivory soap not have de-greasers?(won't take away the shine) Thanks for the idea.

Peppermint is what you want, I am 80% sure the others are poison. and never apply oil direct to skin, this dilution method is good.

oh, and mint grows very well, comes back every year like a plague. Great plant to have.

November 11, 2013 Flag

Several years ago, I was at a spa. Upon arrival, I was served an ice-cold glass of water. The water tasted different and I asked the attendant what was in it.

June 1, 2005 Flag

Wash, dry, and store fresh spearmint from your garden in a plastic baggy in the fridge for 4-5 days. Add to tea being brewed or add fresh leaves to iced tea along with fresh lemon and sweetener of choice. Amazingly refreshing!

Home and Garden Gardening HerbsJuly 19, 2013
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
Uses for Juicer Pulp
Uses for Juicer Pulp
Spearmint growing in a container.
Growing Spearmint