Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Spearmint

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Photo fo a spearmint plant.

Spearmint has many culinary, herbal remedy, and other surprising uses. This is a guide about uses for spearmint.

Solutions: Uses for Spearmint

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Article: Uses for Spearmint

SpearmintIf you have ever planted spearmint, you know that it is prolific! I have lots of it, and lots to spare. So here are 12 things to do with spearmint!

1. I place a branch (with leaves) in my car. When the sunlight heats it up, it releases its delicious scent naturally in the car and the leaves are even drying out for other uses!

2. Leave branches by open windows to add a fresh scent in the house.

3. Add a few leaves in your bathwater.

4. Sprinkle leaves in a dish in the bathroom to keep smells at bay.

5. Leaves in the cat litter box won't hurt either and cats seem to actually like the leaves! Catnip IS a mint you know!

6. Leaves left by any small critter cage (gerbils, hamsters, ferrets, etc) fights odors too.

7. A few leaves and a touch of oil or water in my electric potpourri smells great!

8. Of course it can be dried as a potpourri.

9. A sprig next to my bed stand it very relaxing at nighttime.

10. Keep a fresh sprig in a plastic bag in a purse or refrigerator is great for freshening breath after dinner, preventing stomach upsets, and may help you not to overindulge with sweets/unnecessary calories! It may be left on each person's plate for a fancy addition after a particularly spicy or garlicky meal.

11. They may be left in your shoes or sneakers to freshen them in between wears!

12. Plus they may be rubbed onto the skin when you get hot and start to perspire!

I haven't even mentioned all the wonderful drinks and foods it is normally added to! Some folks freeze a few leaves in ice cube trays to add to soups or drinks too! Fun and fancy. Enjoy!

By AHA! from Sterling, PA

Tip: Refreshing Spearmint Water

Several years ago, I was at a spa. Upon arrival, I was served an ice-cold glass of water. It was so hot out and I was VERY thirsty. The water tasted different and I asked the attendant what was in it. She said just a 'smidge' of spearmint oil. I'd never heard of such a thing.

They sold 2 essential oils at the front counter; lavender and spearmint. I purchased both and began experimenting right away! A little goes a long way! For a regular-sized pitcher, just one drop is all you need. For a glass, just wet your fingertip and stir in!

I actually tried lavender water, too, but didn't care for it.

By

Eucalyptus Spearmint Bath Salts

Eucalyptus Spearmint Bath SaltsI love this scent combination when my body is feeling tired. But buying it at the store is much too expensive. So I figured out how to make my own eucalyptus spearmint blend. I placed the salts in a jar I painted with dots. It's all green, in honor of my spring fever.

Approximate Time: 5 minutes

• 1 cup Epsom Salt
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 3 drops spearmint essential oil
  • 3 drops eucalyptus essential oil
  • 2 drops green food coloring

Instructions:

1. Pour the salt and baking soda in a small bowl. Mix together.
  2. Add essential oils and mix well.
  3. Split the mixture into two even batches.
  4. Place the second half in a separate bowl. Add food coloring to bowl and mix well.
  5. Tilt a glass jar and pour a little of the plain salt in. Pour some green salt in. Repeat switching until bottle is full. This will give you the neat, multi wave effect.

By Aysha from Boise, ID

Editor's Note: To see how Aysha made this beautiful bottle, see her previous post here:

Tip: Use Fresh Spearmint in Tea

Wash, dry, and store fresh spearmint from your garden in a plastic baggy in the fridge for 4-5 days. Add to tea being brewed or add fresh leaves to iced tea along with fresh lemon and sweetener of choice. Amazingly refreshing!

By Brenda

Editor's Note: It is also a good addition to lemonade.

Tip: Wintergreen, Spearmint or Pepperminte to Repel Insects

Beware of the coming seasonal flying insects that are attracted to floral and fruity scents! Be as safe as possible and invest in a bottle of Ivory Liquid dish soap and put 10-12 drops of wintergreen, spearmint or peppermint essential oil in it and shake it up! You will feel especially clean and the bugs will like you a lot less! (I use mine on my person and in my hair!)

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!