Uses for Burlap

Category Miscellaneous
Loosely woven burlap has traditionally been uses for sacks. This versatile material also has gardening and craft uses. This is a guide about uses for burlap.

Affordable carpet remnants can be found at thrift stores and carpet discount outlets; however, it's extraordinarily expensive to have a carpet bound with carpet binding. It cost anywhere from $300 to $500 to have a large remnant bound professionally. I came up with this handy and functional idea that's not only cheap, it's highly durable as well.

Plain or colored burlap can be purchased for around $1 or less per yard. Calculate the amount you'll need by measuring all sides of carpet remnant. Give yourself some extra yardage for "oopsies". Cut strips of burlap that will fold both over and under the sides of the carpet. Secure with hot glue. (I used a commercial grade glue gun). You'll have a professional look for mere pennies.

If the burlap starts to separate from carpet, simply glue back in place. A commercial grade glue gun prevents this altogether and creates a permanent bond.

By April from Albany, GA

Make your ladder safe by wrapping burlap around the bottom rung to wipe your feet before climbing.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Evergreens, especially newly planted ones, can be damaged by winter sun and winds, which dry the foliage. Shield them with burlap stapled to stakes set 6 inches away from the plants on all sides. You can prevent them from spreading or breaking under the weight of snow by tying sturdy string around them.

By Joesgirl

I am making a plant hanger out of burlap. Can someone tell me how to make the burlap stiff? Like they do when they make straw hats made into planters. Thanks for any help I may get.

Answers

Janet, fabric stiffener should work. Depends on how big your piece is. Try a small piece first. Pour stiffener in a baggie add the burlap and knead it. Take it out and squeeze out the excess. Put plastic wrap down or over something and you can form it the way you want. If this doesn't come out the way you want, you've not wasted a lot of stiffener. Let me know how you made out. Keeper

A really thrifty way to stiffen fabric is to use equal parts sugar and water. Just boil until the sugar is dissolved and let cool. Saturate your fabric and form into the desired shape. Let dry for a few days and you are ready to go!

I, too, have used fabric stiffener to make things like that. Your local crafts tore should have it, if not something designed with something like your idea in mind, Janet. I usually find that when I just go in and wander the aisles looking for something close to what I want, there's at least one helpful crafty person in there who saunters up and says, "Oh, try this! It worked great for me!" And they're usually right.

Another thrifty way to stiffen the burlap is to make a homemade starch. I do it in a way very similar to making gravy. Take a large cup and put some cold water and a few tablespoons of cornstarch in, mix well until dissolved. Pour this mixture into a larger pot of boiling water. Cook and stir a few minutes as if making gravy. Cool the starch mixture down before dipping the burlap hanger in. If the hanger is larger, just take a soup ladle or cup and pour over the hanger above a tray. If the mixture dries too stiff you can dilute the gravy further with more water. I use this method to starch my doilies, braided coat hangers and a more diluted version for my curtains.

For lazy crafters, try spray starch. I got a huge can of it from a dollar store not too long ago for... a dollar.

PS whatever is used to stiffen the burlap, the planter should be lined with something so water doesn't get on the burlap. That would "un-stiffen" it in a hurry.

Where can I find used burlap sacks in the US to use for crafts?

CVC from Princeton, MN

Answers

hi there try your local feed store or any place that buys pecans or any kind of local nuts. Also might try the farmers market, those bags get scarcer by the year.

I purchased several from my grocery store produce section. I think they charged me about a dollar each
Good Luck. Kellu

if you can't find sacks most of the bigger fabric stores sell burlap by the yard.

I bought a large 50lb. burlap potatoe sack on Ebay for $7.00. They have several with great old ads on them.

What can I use around the house to protect my roses from the winter cold and winds? Thank you.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By sasha from western MA

Answers

After the first frost, mound about 6 inches of mulch around the base, then put up stakes around the area and put up burlap to make a wind screen. Not to tight, as you want air to circulate, but that will help. Don't cut back roses now, as the canes won't be able to heal and you could be letting disease in. If you have long canes, wrap them in burlap--it's hard with the thorns, but it does work.

The best thing would be to go buy a rose cone from a nursery. You can also try wrapping it with burlap and stakes. the rose cone is preferred for your climate, and also make sure to remove any dead leaves from trees and the rose plant as they will cause mold and other mildews to grow and then you might have another problem on your hands come spring.

When I lived in CT, I would place tall stakes around the plants and then wrap burlap around the stakes. You can also add leaves inside of the burlap cage you make. Be sure to Water the plants well before putting them to bed for the winter. Up north it is the wind (not the cold) that does most damage to the plants. They transpire and loose moisture and are easily wind burned. Jeannette (W. Palm Beach, FL)

Does anyone know how to make a burlap door hanger? I saw one in a store I liked, but I don't know how it was made. It was stiff, filled/slightly puffy, and painted. The edges were glued not sewn. It cost over $40 retail, so I'd like to make it cheaper! I would also like some help on paints to use, and how to personalize it. Thanks!

By Nan W.

Answers

Can you let us know what type? Was it a bag you hung over the knob? Something you can hang from a hook over the top?

We are ready to help but need a bit more information? Thanks, Will be watching. PBP

You can buy one from me!
www.facebook.com/DoodleBugCraftsbyR

Where can I buy wholesale burlap totes so that I can monogram on them?

By Barbara from MS

Answers

Use Google and do the search!

http://www.goog  rlap+&aqi=g2
If you are hoping for info in the least amount of time, try google first. It will save you days of waiting. I wish you luck and hope this helped. PBP

I have used burlap ribbon 3" for binding a jute rug. I would like to paint the binding a dark brown color. How would I do that?

Thanks

By BMR

How do I sew up burlap? Do I back it with something? I am trying to make a pillow cover.

By Dee