Uses for Sweet Gum Balls

Those spiny balls, seed pods, dropped by your sweet gum tree can actually be put to good use. This is a guide about uses for sweet gum balls.

December 17, 2007 Flag

This wreath is made from the seed pods from the sweet gum tree. This is a pattern for all you Southern folks that have these seed pods to clean up every fall from your yard. They may be available in craft shops in the North, or perhaps you can find a place to buy them on line. Here in Arkansas, they are easily gathered.

Approximate Time: under an hour

Supplies

Instructions

Using a 1/16th inch drill bit, drill a hole completely through each gumball. String the balls on either a piece of heavy nylon fishing line, or a piece of beading wire. Draw up tightly to form a circle, and tie a knot, then form a loop for the hanger. Use as many gumballs as you need to make a nice circle.

Add a bow to the front. I have added a small wood bow because I work in wood, but you could use a ribbon bow. I have put a candle in the center made from a 4-inch piece of white chenille stem wrapped around a skewer (a knitting needle would also work for this step) The flame for the candle is available at Hobby Lobby in the Christmas decorations. They are tiny Christmas lights, made from plastic, and come on a string; I just cut them apart for this project. Glue the flame inside the chenille stem candle, and then glue the candle to the bottom center of the wreath. A hot glue gun works well for this step. You can further dress up your wreath with a little artificial snow. Or add some red beads in clusters of 2 or 3 to represent holly berries.

by_harlean_from_arkansas

adorable. simply adorable

Clever, a very clever idea!

Harlean,

I have one of these trees in my front yard that I have been cussing for over 8 years and I live in Illinois!

I am so happy to see that there is actually a use for the gum balls.

Thank you.

I have thousands of these! Any other ideas?

March 15, 2007 Flag

If you have sweet gum balls, try using them to put in the bottom of your flower pots.

By Jodi from TX

I have a sweet gum tree in front of my house and if I could,

I would gladly mail them to everyone who wants some!!

I swear they double in number every year!

Thanks. You posted this just in time. My neighbor has a bagful of sweet gum balls that she's about to throw out.

Im lost on this one! lol Sweet gum balls for flower drainage.. and a sweet gum tree? I picture a gumball machine. I am curious about this one some please give info on this? :)

Editor's Note: The balls from the Sweet Gum trees are what they are talking about.

Great Idea! And I thought they were worthless :)

March 18, 2010 Flag

Are gumballs from the gumball tree poisonous?

By Linda from Tryon, NC

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

American Sweetgum trees can be found throughout must of the eastern US. The balls of the trees are modified fruits that house the seeds until the balls ripen and release the seeds. While you can't eat the balls or the seeds, pioneers once peeled the bark and scraped the resin-like solid to produce chewing gum and medicines. Good luck.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 4, 2013
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
Sweet Gum Balls
Buying Sweet Gum Balls
Gum Drops
Gum Drop Cookie Recipes
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
🎉
🎄