Uses for a Microwave Glass Plate

Don't throw the glass plate from your microwave away when you discard the oven. This is a guide about uses for a microwave glass plate.

December 15, 2010 Flag

I recently saw a tip about recycling a microwave plate as a planter water catcher, serving plate, or anything else your heart desires and a light bulb idea turned on! Besides keeping the glass microwave plate when replacing your microwave; be sure to also keep the plastic piece the plate sits on that works as the microwave turntable. Although my microwave is fine, I decided to do an experiment and here's how I got this idea to work.

Punch a very slightly larger hole than the small round turntable piece into the center of the top portion of a large, fairly deep top metal jar lid (the lid I used is 1/2 inch deep and about 3 1/2 inches around). Place the small round part of the turntable into the hole of the jar. This will help give balance once the plate is placed on top of the pronged turntable. Depending on the size of your microwave plate, you may need a larger around jar lid for balance but the size I used works just fine for my 9 1/2 inch plate :-)

Next sit the dish on the turntable piece exactly the same as they sit together in the microwave and you will have a new Lazy Susan that can be used for your spices (or other items) in your kitchen cabinet, on counter top, tabletop or even for items on your desk or bathroom counter for easy access of those items with just a spin of the plate.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 8 Comments

December 10, 2010 Flag

Before throwing away that broken microwave, save the glass dish that is inside. It has many uses. At the moment I am using one under one of my large houseplants to protect my floor from any water overflow. My daughter uses one as a food platter when having parties. Use one as a tray as long as you are careful - some are heavy. These glass dishes can serve many purposes, just use your imagination.

By mkymlp from NE PA / USA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

January 15, 2013 Flag

When my microwave finally quit on me, I decided to find a use for the glass turntable.

I had purchased some nice glass plant stands from Cost Plus in the past and decided that I could make a similar base for my large African violet pot from the turntable.

My husband is a great lover of what he jokingly refers as LRF or little rubber feet. He is always finding something to attach them to. I took some of his larger feet and adhered them to the bottom of the turntable.

Next I added a pretty crochet doily with pansies and viola a nice plant stand that is also functional, in that is helps contain any drips.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

December 14, 2012 Flag

When entertaining this holiday season and you find that you are in need of an extra platter, use the glass platter that's inside your microwave oven. Works like a charm.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 15, 2012
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Wickker Paper Plate Holders
Using Paper Plate Holders
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 3:02:55 PM on 10.0.0.234 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.