Uses for a Microwave Glass Plate

Category Reusing
Microwave Glass Plate
Don't throw the glass plate from your microwave away when you discard the oven. This is a guide about uses for a microwave glass plate.

I recently saw a tip about recycling a microwave plate as a planter water catcher, serving plate, or anything else your heart desires and a light bulb idea turned on! Besides keeping the glass microwave plate when replacing your microwave; be sure to also keep the plastic piece the plate sits on that works as the microwave turntable. Although my microwave is fine, I decided to do an experiment and here's how I got this idea to work.

Punch a very slightly larger hole than the small round turntable piece into the center of the top portion of a large, fairly deep top metal jar lid (the lid I used is 1/2 inch deep and about 3 1/2 inches around). Place the small round part of the turntable into the hole of the jar. This will help give balance once the plate is placed on top of the pronged turntable. Depending on the size of your microwave plate, you may need a larger around jar lid for balance but the size I used works just fine for my 9 1/2 inch plate :-)

Next sit the dish on the turntable piece exactly the same as they sit together in the microwave and you will have a new Lazy Susan that can be used for your spices (or other items) in your kitchen cabinet, on counter top, tabletop or even for items on your desk or bathroom counter for easy access of those items with just a spin of the plate.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Before throwing away that broken microwave, save the glass dish that is inside. It has many uses. At the moment I am using one under one of my large houseplants to protect my floor from any water overflow. My daughter uses one as a food platter when having parties. Use one as a tray as long as you are careful - some are heavy. These glass dishes can serve many purposes, just use your imagination.

By mkymlp from NE PA / USA

When my microwave finally quit on me, I decided to find a use for the glass turntable.

I had purchased some nice glass plant stands from Cost Plus in the past and decided that I could make a similar base for my large African violet pot from the turntable.

My husband is a great lover of what he jokingly refers as LRF or little rubber feet. He is always finding something to attach them to. I took some of his larger feet and adhered them to the bottom of the turntable.

Next I added a pretty crochet doily with pansies and viola a nice plant stand that is also functional, in that is helps contain any drips.

When entertaining this holiday season and you find that you are in need of an extra platter, use the glass platter that's inside your microwave oven. Works like a charm.