Uses for a Microwave Glass Plate

Category Reusing
Don't throw the glass plate from your microwave away when you discard the oven. This is a guide about uses for a microwave glass plate.

I recently saw a tip about recycling a microwave plate as a planter water catcher, serving plate, or anything else your heart desires and a light bulb idea turned on! Besides keeping the glass microwave plate when replacing your microwave; be sure to also keep the plastic piece the plate sits on that works as the microwave turntable. Although my microwave is fine, I decided to do an experiment and here's how I got this idea to work.

Punch a very slightly larger hole than the small round turntable piece into the center of the top portion of a large, fairly deep top metal jar lid (the lid I used is 1/2 inch deep and about 3 1/2 inches around). Place the small round part of the turntable into the hole of the jar. This will help give balance once the plate is placed on top of the pronged turntable. Depending on the size of your microwave plate, you may need a larger around jar lid for balance but the size I used works just fine for my 9 1/2 inch plate :-)

Next sit the dish on the turntable piece exactly the same as they sit together in the microwave and you will have a new Lazy Susan that can be used for your spices (or other items) in your kitchen cabinet, on counter top, tabletop or even for items on your desk or bathroom counter for easy access of those items with just a spin of the plate.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I use mine as a cake plate. Years ago I found a cake cover, it's an old metal one. Cakes fit on it very well and it's great using something from the past to cover it in.

Before throwing away that broken microwave, save the glass dish that is inside. It has many uses. At the moment I am using one under one of my large houseplants to protect my floor from any water overflow. My daughter uses one as a food platter when having parties. Use one as a tray as long as you are careful - some are heavy. These glass dishes can serve many purposes, just use your imagination.

By mkymlp from NE PA / USA

Yep. Been reusing microwave turntable for quite awhile now. I just hate to throw out anything that might be useful for any other purpose beyond their original use!

When my microwave finally quit on me, I decided to find a use for the glass turntable.

I had purchased some nice glass plant stands from Cost Plus in the past and decided that I could make a similar base for my large African violet pot from the turntable.

My husband is a great lover of what he jokingly refers as LRF or little rubber feet. He is always finding something to attach them to. I took some of his larger feet and adhered them to the bottom of the turntable.

Next I added a pretty crochet doily with pansies and viola a nice plant stand that is also functional, in that is helps contain any drips.

Great idea also one might place these plates on a round table they can make? The table usually is presswood so if you get them wet they deteriorate fast. You place your cloth over the table as usual but now you can set your beverage or other item with a bit more protection. I see so many of these MW ovens on the side the road and the plate is something that I have not tried to recycle.

When entertaining this holiday season and you find that you are in need of an extra platter, use the glass platter that's inside your microwave oven. Works like a charm.