Microwave Glass Tray as DIY Lazy Susan

Category Reusing
Repurpose the plate and revolving stand from a non-working microwave to make a lazy Susan for condiments or other things. This is a guide about using a microwave glass tray as DIY lazy Susan.

I recently saw a tip about recycling a microwave plate as a planter water catcher, serving plate, or anything else your heart desires and a light bulb idea turned on! Besides keeping the glass microwave plate when replacing your microwave; be sure to also keep the plastic piece the plate sits on that works as the microwave turntable. Although my microwave is fine, I decided to do an experiment and here's how I got this idea to work.

Punch a very slightly larger hole than the small round turntable piece into the center of the top portion of a large, fairly deep top metal jar lid (the lid I used is 1/2 inch deep and about 3 1/2 inches around). Place the small round part of the turntable into the hole of the jar. This will help give balance once the plate is placed on top of the pronged turntable. Depending on the size of your microwave plate, you may need a larger around jar lid for balance but the size I used works just fine for my 9 1/2 inch plate :-)

Next sit the dish on the turntable piece exactly the same as they sit together in the microwave and you will have a new Lazy Susan that can be used for your spices (or other items) in your kitchen cabinet, on counter top, tabletop or even for items on your desk or bathroom counter for easy access of those items with just a spin of the plate.

By Ann from Richland, WA

I took the glass plate and carousel out of my old microwave and made it into a Lazy Susan spice holder. It is easy to see the spices and even easier to get just turn it.

Top Comment

I use mine for when I ice cakes.
Marg from England.

Top Comment

I have used mine for a lazy Suzanne. I have also used when frosting cakes. Works great! I have several in different sizes. I find at yard sales, some were from my old micro waves from years ago.

I one found 3 by the curb side when there was a city wide trash pickup in my area. They also work well for meat and cheese trays , taking something to a church dinner. All kinds of uses