Using Borax to Get Rid of Fleas in Carpeting

We are about to start a job remodeling a house for a man that has carpeting thru out his house and it is infested with fleas. You just walk into the room and you are instantly covered with the little devils. I read on this site that borax and diatomaceous earth will get rid of them. What is borax? Is it a laundry aid or is it something else altogether? What are the price ranges of these products and how long will it take to kill the devils before we can start working in the house? Thank you for your time and kindness. God bless you and your loved ones.

By ckjb

Borax is a laundry powder that has been around for ages. It is relatively safe for humans and does wonders in killing fleas. Just sprinkle it on your floors, couches etc., let it sit for a few hours and then vacuum up. You can buy at your local Grocery Store. Really cheap! :)

Some people use Sevin Dust to kill the fleas in carpet. You will find this product in the garden section of many retail stores. Sevin Dust is used to kill different kinds of insects on vegetable plants. Just "dust" it on the carpet, wait 24 hours or so, and vacuum it up with a wet/dry vac, not your "good" vacuum cleaner. Dump the used dust in a garbage bag, and seal it. You might need to repeat this several times if there is a very bad infestation of fleas. Sevin dust isn't good to use around your pets. (Read the directions carefully.)

Our vet also recommends placing a night light in one corner of the affected area, place a pie-pan of water under the night light. Close the room up. When it is dark, the fleas will go to the light, and fall into the water.The next morning, empty the water and the dead fleas.It will need to be repeated until they are gone. This procedure will take longer than using the Sevin Dust, or Borax.

Well,guess what? I tried the 20 Mule Team Borax and it really worked. We sprinkled it on the carpets and "scrubbed" it in with our feet and left it for that day. The next day that we went back, there was maybe 4-5 fleas that I saw but by the end of this day there were none left. So, if you are thinking that surely a laundry additive will not kill fleas, think again. I tried it and it works. Thank you for the tips and your time and kindness. Take care. God bless you and your loved ones.

After you vacuum up the dead fleas, be sure to empty the vacuum cleaner bag into the garbage can outside. DO NOT use Sevin dust indoors unless the label says you can do this. Carbaryl is a cholinesterase inhibitor and some people have bad reactions to it.

Anyone else gonna tell that the Borax will make your cats sick? One response said this & I am really concerned as I have 2 precious indoor kitties! I know that Pine-Sol will make them sick (husband used to shampoo carpets & cat almost died!). I don't want to do anything that will hurt my pets! Am using the diatomaceous earth, but it is very slow acting. Would really appreciate the help! Am gonna spray with citrus scented spray to see if that helps.

Dead Flea
Controlling Fleas Indoors
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasMay 28, 2011
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas
Borax powder, with a measuring cup and spray bottle.
Cleaning With Borax
Buying Borax
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding