Using Expired Coupons

Category Coupons
Coupons
This is a guide about using expired coupons. When a coupon's expiration date has come and gone, there may still be a way to take advantage of its value.

If you have an expired coupon (non-grocery), the store may still honor it. I recently purchased pricey dog food at a pet store. I nearly threw away an expired coupon for $3.00, but decided to present it on the off-chance that they would accept it. I was pleasantly surprised when the clerk noticed the expiration, but did an override on the cash register.

By jrmahon from Shreveport, LA

Instead of buying pads of note papers, to use in your office or in a cute basket by the phone, in your kitchen, or in other areas of your home, where phones are, use the blank backs of non-used expired manufacturer's coupons that you pick up at the grocery store (if you can't use expired coupons in your area).

I also use those pesky sales ads that come in my newspaper or junk mail. If the backs have no print on them, they get cut up for scratch paper to jot quick notes to myself or to my hubby.

Also, to eliminate less paper to toss out, one could cut the envelopes received in the mail, whether junk mail or other basic envelopes from others, keep the plain sides for scratch paper.

By Terri from NV

I once read that commissary stores would accept expired coupons from military families. And that these stores would accept donated expired coupons from the public so the families could select the ones they wanted. Does anyone know if that's true? If so, where can I send my expired coupons as I'm often left with a whole lot of them.

Only overseas commissaries will take expired coupons. You have 6 months past the expiration date. I don't know were to send them.

I belong to several coupon trains and have a list of places overseas that will accept coupons for the military families. I also have an address of a contact in the US who forwards coupons to them.

You can search Yahoo groups for coupon trains if you want to do that. Or I would think that you could probably do a search for sending coupons to the military.

Thank you for thinking of our military families.

Peggy

Lord be with and protect our brave men and women in the armed forces.

I have been doing this for several years now an have addresses for all over the world. No they do not waste the coupons an if you read the letters I have reveived beck you would know just how much they all appriciate them. The way I do them is to put them into a plastic bag (zipper type) an into a big envelope. I do tape all seams of the envelope. I wait till Walgreens, ect run them on special. also on the front of the envelope at the bottom on the left hand side put "coupons for military families" also you need to fill out a green short form from the post office...your post office will show you how to fill it out it very easy an short form. also tell them what is in the envelope an ask them to ship them the cheapest way. even our post office ask if they might get some addresses from me so they could start sending them also. If you know anyone who has family members in the military they also like to know about this..even a girl in our bank wanted to address of a military base where her son was startioned. now have been ask for the addresses that I have from the women at the American Legion so they also can start sending them also. this is one of the most rewarding project I have ever done. If anyone would like some addresses that I have please feel free to email me for them...PLEASE put on the subject line "COUPONS FOR MILITARY FAMILIES" so I do not delete it as I lilke so many get so much junk mail. We all need to help our military families an this is a "great" way to show them we do care an appriciate them an what they are doing for all of us. Hope to get ALOT more coupons going to our military families an yes they can use them up to 6 months after they expire.

I need someone to send an email or information to me on how to get my coupons to the military. My email address is lpme AT gbta.net.

http://www.ocpnet.org/

this is for overseas military and shows how you can send them out as an individual or group projects.

thank you everyone for the information!

A Trevino

I have been saving expired coupons for a cause. Can you send me the address so I can send the coupons. Thank you

Cub Food Stores and Walmart Stores (at least here in MN) are taking coupons with expiration dates 90 days post. You have to have the checker verify with floor manager, as they all don't seem to retain that information.

By T and T Grandma from Benson, MN

Many grocery stores accept expired coupons. I know in the Chicago area Jewel grocery stores accept them.

By Jen B