Using It All - Lemons

I use lemons in much of my cooking, but find the prices very high these days. I used to pass by the bags of lemons, never needing that many, but now when the prices are good, I buy a bag and do the following:

I first remove the zest and then juice all the lemons. I freeze the juice in small freezer containers. The zest I chop and freeze by putting a teaspoon or two on a square of plastic wrap, twisting it, and putting each in a freezer baggie labeled for one or two teaspoons. The "carcasses" I have found several uses for. I freeze them and when needed I thaw and use for:

• Grind in garbage disposal to clean and deodorize.

• Put one in refrigerator to deodorize.

• Put one in simmering water for fresh kitchen smell.

• Use to de-lime deposits on the sink.

• Rub it on the copper to brighten the shine.

• Rub one on my hands if I have been chopping onions.

In the end, it saves so much money, uses every bit of the lemon, and I always have fresh lemon and zest when I need it for cooking.

In recipes, I use the following guidelines:

Recipes calling for the juice of one:

• Lemon: 2-3 Tbsp.

• Lime: 2 Tbsp.

• Orange: 2 oz.

Recipes calling for the zest of one:

• Lemon: 1 Tbsp.

• Orange: 2 Tbsp.

• Lime: 1/2 Tbsp.

Source: My own desperation

By Soph6767 from Warrensburg, MI

Answers:

Using It All - Lemons

This is very clever advice. Thank you so much. I shall take a note of it. (I have a lemon tree in my back yard.) Another use for the pith of the lemon is as a jam setter (pectin). Boil it up with citrus to set marmalade. (09/24/2009)

By merry50

Using It All - Lemons

You can also freeze them (whole or quarter) by placing on a cookie sheet in the freezer and then, once frozen, transfer to freezer storage containers. Also, zest them first and dry the zest and place in an airtight container. (09/25/2009)

By Deeli

Using It All - Lemons
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
Boy in Devil Costume
Making a Devil Costume
Dried lime cut in half.
Recipes Using Dried Limes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
🎉
🎄