Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Leftover Tortillas

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Ham tortilla pinwheels

There are a number of delicious ways to use up those extra tortillas. This guide is about using leftover tortillas.

Solutions: Using Leftover Tortillas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Tortilla Strips From Leftover Wraps

Every so often I buy wraps and try to vary the flavors that I select. If it turns out that it is a flavor that my family is not crazy about, I end up with a lot of wraps which I certainly can't eat all by myself. Here's what I do, take the wrap and cut it into thin strips. Take a non stick frying pan and add a little oil to the pan. When it gets hot, add the strips. Watching carefully, allow one side to become slightly golden and then flip on the other side. When that side becomes golden, remove the strips and place on a paper towel to absorb any oil. These are great sprinkled on a salad or any kind of soup, especially tortilla chicken soup or just to nibble on.

Enjoy.

By joesgirl from Beverly, MA

Tip: Easy Dumplings (Tortillas)

If you love dumplings but don't like the mess, buy or use leftover flour tortillas and cut in strips length wise and cross wise. Drop in hot chicken broth cook several minutes.

Dorothy

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Using Leftover Tortillas.

Question: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

I am looking for a non-traditional recipe for leftover corn tortillas.

By Christine from Anderson, SC

Most Recent Answer

By Lynn Thomas09/21/2010

Here's a recipe for the Chili Enchiladas. It's almost like Frito Pie only better. You can reduce the quantity by using a smaller can of chili and cut down on the rest of the ingredients.

Chili Enchiladas
This got me four stars on BetterRecipes.com

350 degree F oven for 30-45 minutes

1 package corn tortillas (12 pack)
1 16 oz package Colby/Monterey Jack Cheese - block
1 white onion (not sweet) finely chopped
1 40 oz can Wolf Brand Chili without beans (you can use your favorite brand but this makes the best)

Directions:
In a skillet large enough to hold one flat tortilla, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat.

Lay one tortillas at a time in hot oil for 10 seconds or just until limp, adding more oil as needed. Let excess oil drip back into pan and then lay tortilla on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb oil. Blot slightly with additional paper towels between each addition. Repeat with all 12.

In a 9 1/2 inch by 12 inch oven safe casserole dish, spread a very thin layer of chili over the bottom. Take the first tortilla, place a 1/4 inch thick slice of cheese (should be about 1/2 inch wide) down the middle of the tortilla, side to side, sprinkle one tablespoon chopped onion over the cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in the casserole dish and repeat with the remaining tortillas. Slightly thin the remaining chili with water and spread over the top of the enchiladas, covering them completely. Either grate some of the cheese over or add several thin slices randomly over the chili. Cover completely with aluminum foil.

Place in 350 degree F oven for 30-45 minutes. Check at 30 minutes to see if chili is bubbling and remove then if it is or continue heating another 10-15 minutes. Serve with rice, refried beans, guacamole.

This recipe was created by my mother, Elaine Thomas, many years ago to save spending the money at El Chicos for a family of five.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

I have leftover corn tortillas in a bag. What can I do with them? The recipe called for 6, although I purchased the smallest bag available, I still have quite a few sitting in the bag on the kitchen counter.

Holly from Dallas, TX

RE: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

We like to take the leftover corn tortillas and cut them into wedges and place them on a pan and bake at about 400 degrees F until they're nice and crispy. Treat them like corn chips. Then, add cheese and salsa, black bean dip or whatever you like best, and munch away. (02/23/2006)

By Julia

RE: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

Freeze them for next time! (02/23/2006)

By trix

RE: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

Cut up tortillas into triangles and deep fry. Drain on paper towel and eat with salsa. Or cut up in small squares and place in large fry pan with small amount of oil and heat til soft. Then add eggs and salsa for a quick breakfast. Yum. (02/23/2006)

By meoowmom

RE: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

Here's a family favorite:

Tortilla Surprise

You mix one can of tomato soup and one can of cream of mushroom soup. You tear up the tortillas into bite size pieces and add it to the soup mixture. Simmer until the tortillas are soft.

You can also add:

• diced green chilies
  • a can of whole kernel corn
  • black olives, whole or diced
  • chopped onions
  • cooked ground meat
  • shredded cheese
  • dollops of sour cream

Like I said, this is a family favorite and has been around our home for a long time. It's a recipe that allows a lot of experimentation and is a very "forgiving" recipe. I always use the soups as the base, add the torn corn tortillas, then throw in whatever suits my mood. I've even poured the mixture into a greased baking pan and baked it like a lasagna, layering the ingredients in. (02/24/2006)

By AzDana

RE: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

Here is a favorite of ours. I call it enchilada casserole.
  • hamburger (browned)
  • shredded cheese ( fiesta blend 2 pkgs)
  • corn tortillas
  • enchilada sauce

Layer ingredients in a 9x13 pan, starting with hamburger and ending with enchilada sauce topped with cheese. Bake until cheese on top is melted and the rest is heated through @ 350F for about 30 minutes.

When I do this it usually takes about 8 tortillas. Then I just store the rest in the fridge until next time. (02/24/2006)

By Dahart

RE: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

Beef Taco Casserole

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 med. onion, chopped
  • 1 can (8oz.) tomato sauce
  • 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans
  • 2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1 cup broken tortilla chips
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (4 oz.)

Cook and stir the ground beef and onion in 10 inch skillet until beef is cooked. Pour off the grease. Add tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic salt, and kidney beans (sauce included) and heat to boiling. Into a 2 quart casserole pour 1/2 of the meat mixture. Sprinkle with the chips. Pour remaining 1/2 beef mix on top and sprinkle with cheese.

Cover and cook at 350 degrees F until bubbly, about 25-30 minutes. Garnish with green pepper and pimento if desired.

This is a quick and easy recipe and a great way to use up tortilla chips. Hope you enjoy. (02/24/2006)

By Roberta

RE: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

Make extra of the recipe you originally bought them for and freeze it for later. (02/25/2006)

By kidsNclutter

RE: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

I cut flour tortillas up into triangles or fun shapes and deep fry them about 1 to 2 minutes until they are light and golden. I drain them on a paper towel and while they are still hot I sprinkle both sides with cinnamon sugar. They are delicious and habit forming. Be careful when frying because when they are put into the hot oil they puff up and can burst and the hot oil could hit you. I haven't had that happen though. I use a large slotted spoon to get them out of the oil because that way just about all the oil drips back into the pan. (03/05/2006)

By Betty

RE: Recipes Using left over Corn Tortillas

Dice, or tear ( the smaller, the faster they integrate) stale corn tortillas and add as a thickening agent to both green chili and red chili. It gives a real Mexican taste. (04/07/2008)

By Ron

RE: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

Wow, this is great! I have a bunch leftover too that I would like to cook up, but here is the recipe that I have for my corn tortillas found on kraftfoods.com.
  • 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 jar (16 oz.) salsa
  • 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen corn, thawed
  • 12 corn tortillas (6 inch)
  • 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced fat sharp Cheddar cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brown meat with peppers in large skillet; drain. Return to skillet. Stir in salsa, tomatoes and corn; bring to boil. Spoon 1 cup of the meat mixture into 13x9-inch baking dish; top with 6 tortillas, overlapping as necessary. Cover with half each of the remaining meat mixture and cheese; top with remaining tortillas and meat mixture. Cover with foil.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

It's a great dish with a large serving size as a 13X9 pan serves 6. And it is only 8 points on Weight Watchers. (07/08/2008)

By Lyera

RE: Recipes Using Corn Tortillas

For breakfast: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush tortillas with oil. Beat 3-4 eggs. Cut 2 potatoes into cottage fries. Chop 1/2 C onion. Use 1/2 C or as needed shredded cheddar. When oven heats drape tortillas over one space (two tines) and heat till crispy, light brown. Cook cottage fries till brown adding onions until caramelized. Scramble eggs. Load up your squared tortillas with potatoes and onions, eggs, and top with cheese. Serve with salsa. As an extra, try some Ranch Style beans under the eggs for a real southern Texas flavor. Wow! (08/07/2008)

By Buel