Using Microsoft Office Programs

Category Office
Microsoft Office consists of a suite of programs useful in an office setting and at home. This is a guide about using Microsoft Office programs.

Need assistance with Office 2010? I've found a couple of Tutorials:

FREE eBook from Microsoft:

A DVD Tutorial with 48 hours of 2010/2007 video tutorials for $13 (I've ordered it just today as I've been using 2000 Pro for the past century):

You can go to the TeachUcomp site and sample some of the videos. If it helps me out with only a few issues, it'll be worth the money.

By cajun62234 from Opelousas, LA

You might want to compare the sizes of 'identical' Word files saved on the older and new-improved MS system. I've consistently found that each successive incarnation expands the size of my files. In the past I had access to 3 computers with Windows 3.1, 95, and 98, and found they booted in that order, older faster than newer, and the same Word files expanded in the later forms.

Later, I compared 98 to Millennium and then XP, with similar results. One file tripled in size, 330KB to 1MB, between old and new-improved. More storage space, slower to appear.

Also, I notice that later forms tend to require much more prep to get what you want-- for example, insisting on Final Showing Markup as the basic, unalterable form for any file, when I mostly use Final..

(And since I've asked two professionals for ways to overcome that last deficiency, and they failed, it's another of Microsoft's "features" that annoy so many.)

If I could get 3.1 cheaply, I'd use it now, at least for word processing.

I just recovered some .rtf files I accidentally deleted in my recycle bin. I used a third party software, StellarPhoenix. However, now my computer won't open them. Can you help?

Go ahead and save it again as .doc for example samsfolder.rtf save as samsfolder.doc

I have a computer that is running Windows XP with Office 2007 Professional. I am having problems only with the Powerpoint files in the office, specifically .pptx files. When you double-click on the file it opens up to a blank presentation. Once that is open if you click open and navigate to the file then it opens correctly.

I have checked the registry and the open/command path is correct. Any other ideas will help. All the others work fine: Word, Excel, and Outlook.

Otherwise you may apply http://www.pptx.openfiletool.com/ PPTX Open File Tool or manual guide below..

1. Try importing the slides from the PPTX file rather than actually opening it. Click "Insert," then "Slides From Files." Browse to and select your file, then click "Insert All." This might extract the slides from the corrupted file and place them in a fresh file, though the formatting may be lost. Checking the "Keep source formatting" box might help.

2. Try opening the presentation in Word. Open Word and click "Open" in the "File" menu. Use the "Files of type" drop-down menu to select "Recover Text From Any File," then try to open your corrupted PowerPoint file. Again, most of your formatting will probably be lost, but your data will be there.

3. Check for a TMP file. These are temporary copies of recently accessed files. There may or may not be a temporary copy of the file you want, but it's worth a shot. Right-click the "Start" button, then click "Search," and run a search for "*.TMP." The search will return many files, most of them probably with incomprehensible names. Click the "Date Modified" button to sort them according to the last time they were edited and find a file that was created around the time you lost the PowerPoint file. Try to open this in PowerPoint.

4. Try opening the file in a different application that supports the PPTX format. The most prominent of these is the Impress program in the OpenOffice suite, a free, open-source alternative to Microsoft Office.

Does my laptop need internet access to open my newly installed Microsoft Office program, or did I do something wrong?

By sh

Check the box for requirements and see if it says you need internet access to install. In the past the answer would be NO but I haven't installed a newer version of Office in a couple years. If you have no box check any of the documentation for "Install Requirements".

You do need internet access to update MS Office and to download accessories but the install should be pretty stand alone. Unless Microsoft is under the impression everyone has internet access and with such infinite knowledge took it upon themselves to use short cuts on their install software via the internet.