Using Swimming Pool Water for Plants

If the pool water does not contain chemicals, it may be used to water gardens. This guide is about using swimming pool water for plants.

backyard pool
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My daughter purchased a kiddie pool large enough to hold an adult sized raft. She sunbathes in the privacy of our yard (I already lectured her about sun damage) and it's less expensive than joining a country club.

But the reason I am writing about this pool is because sometimes the wind blows the cover off and it fills with leaves, dirt, twigs... I told her to let me know when it's time to change the water and I'd use it to water the veggie garden and plants.

Need to figure out a pump system because dragging that bucket back and forth is for the birds.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Editor's Note: For pumping out the water, you could try using an aquarium siphon.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a 10 ft splash pool. I don't use chlorine in my pool. I use Sanit-eazy which is supposed to be gentle on skin and eyes. Can anyone advise me if the water will be ok to use on my garden?

By MB

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know what that product is, but if it is safe for humans to be in, I would think it would be fine for plants. You can water plants with grey water, so I don't see why your pool water wouldn't be perfectly fine.

I was wondering what will happen to my two week old tomato plants now that my neighbor has emptied his swimming pool and flooded my new garden site. Will the chlorine kill or hurt them and is there anything I can do to save them?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By GELMAN from Jamestown, KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There's a very simple answer to this problem. First test the level of chlorine in your pool. Then if it is high, you neutralise the chlorine to a safe level before using the water in your garden. Sodium thiosulfate can be used to neutralise chlorine. And it is readily available on eBay. Happy watering all!

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Gardening IrrigationSeptember 6, 2013
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Boy in Life-vest in Swimming Pool
Swimming Pool Safety Tips
Girl with Long Hair in Swimming Pool
Preventing Damaged Hair From Swimming Pools
Lanscaping around a swimming pool.
Landscaping Around Swimming Pools
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 31, 2016 at 11:09:14 PM on 10.0.0.73 in 341 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.