Browsing: Using Swimming Pool Water for Plants

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Swimming Pool Water for Plants

If the pool water does not contain chemicals, it may be used to water gardens. This guide is about using swimming pool water for plants.

backyard pool
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 29, 2009 Flag

I was wondering what will happen to my two week old tomato plants now that my neighbor has emptied his swimming pool and flooded my new garden site. Will the chlorine kill or hurt them and is there anything I can do to save them?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By GELMAN from Jamestown, KY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Yes, chlorine will kill them dead. Chlorine is bleach. I suggest you get new plants, and test the soil for any chlorine residue. I would also suggest that you talk to your neighbour about emptying his pool so that it doesn't ruin your garden next year.

I see in the archives I answered this in August, 2008 that I've been using pool water for years to water my potted plants and lawn..Well just to reiterate, I am still doing it with NO problems! When I shock the pool, I don't use the water for 48 hours. Works great and instead of just dumping an overfull pool, it goes to good use and conserves water! Jim in Jax

There's a very simple answer to this problem. First test the level of chlorine in your pool. Then if it is high, you neutralise the chlorine to a safe level before using the water in your garden. Sodium thiosulfate can be used to neutralise chlorine. And it is readily available on eBay. Happy watering all!

June 18, 2007 Flag

My daughter purchased a kiddie pool large enough to hold an adult sized raft. She sunbathes in the privacy of our yard (I already lectured her about sun damage) and it's less expensive than joining a country club.

But the reason I am writing about this pool is because sometimes the wind blows the cover off and it fills with leaves, dirt, twigs. I told her to let me know when it's time to change the water and I'd use it to water the veggie garden and plants.

Need to figure out a pump system because dragging that bucket back and forth is for the birds.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Editor's Note: For pumping out the water, you could try using an aquarium siphon.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 12, 2014 Flag

I have a 10 ft splash pool. I don't use chlorine in my pool. I use Sanit-eazy which is supposed to be gentle on skin and eyes. Can anyone advise me if the water will be ok to use on my garden?

By MB

I don't know what that product is, but if it is safe for humans to be in, I would think it would be fine for plants. You can water plants with grey water, so I don't see why your pool water wouldn't be perfectly fine.

May 29, 2009 Flag

I have a shortage of water at present and want to use my treated swimming pool water to water plants and trees. I am concerned that it may harm them. What thoughts do you have on this?

Amanda from Granada, Espana

Answers:

Using Swimming Pool Water To Water Plants

Chlorine in pool water will kill your plants. It happened to a friend of mine when a neighbor drained his pool and the drainage killed his garden. (08/20/2008)

By bobdog

I've been using pool water for years for plants, potted plants and the lawn. I have a lot of plants in pots around the pool and I only use pool water for them. I have never had a problem. I presume this will work for you also, as long as your water isn't highly over chlorinated. When I shock the pool, I wait a day.

Jim in Jax (08/21/2008)

By smartfell-r

My sister watered her flowers with her pool water. Guess what? They all died. (08/21/2008)

By Sue

Pond water is the best, it has extra nutrients in it and you garden and flower will grow extremely big and healthy. I personally would not recommend pool water at all for the simple fact, I don't want to take the chance of losing any plants or gardening.(11/10/2008)

By pebbles67530

Home and Garden Gardening IrrigationSeptember 6, 2013
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Boy in Life-vest in Swimming Pool
Swimming Pool Safety Tips
Girl with Long Hair in Swimming Pool
Preventing Damaged Hair From Swimming Pools
Lanscaping around a swimming pool.
Landscaping Around Swimming Pools
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 8:52:08 PM on 10.0.0.164 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.