Using ThriftyFun

Category Searching
This is a guide about using ThriftyFun. Beginning in 1997 ThriftyFun members have been sharing inexpensive solutions to everyday problems and ideas for crafting, creative recycling, gardening, frugal living, recipes and more.

This is a celebration of ThriftyFun and our ThriftyFun Family. I've been working on it, off and on, for a couple of months and am finally happy enough with it to share. I hope you enjoy!

Ode to ThriftyFun

'T' is for Thrifty which means to be lean
'H' is for Hearts that are pure sweet and clean
'R' is for Receptive, what more could you want
'I' is for Ideal and indeed a very fun jaunt
'T' is for a Trusted place to share and to learn
'Y' is for Yarn, Yard, Yeast, or to Yearn
'F' is for Friendship and Folk who are just
'U' of course stands for every single one of Us

And last but definitely not at all the least

'N' is for Nesting help from West and from East

Deeli 11/7/10

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Editor's Note: D is for Deeli! ThriftyFun wouldn't be the same without you and your wonderful contributions. Thank you for sharing your poem with the rest of us.

Deeli,

I was just thinking good things about you tonight as I looked over and saved some of your wonderful recipes. I was thinking how fun you are and what joy you bring to all! And now you give us a poem. Wow. I look forward to your posts and Granny Vi and so many others.

We are lucky & blessed to have you.

Annie

I find it interesting when someone lists their location along with their name, especially if they are in another country. Heck, I'm proud. I give my name and location. But heres the thing: So often questions are asked and and someone replies I dont know where you are, but . . . Or I dont know if youre in a large city or small town, but . . . . So many times, answers are predicated on your location. Especially if youre in another country. If youre from Nigeria or Australia, I cant very well tell you to go to your local Walmart, right? How about going in and beefing up your profile a bit - tell us where youre from.

And in your questions, if its of some import, tell us if youre in a small town or large city or anything pertinent to the question. In a recent question on roofing repairs, most questioners noted that they were seniors or on disability. Now thats important to the answers you might get. Make it a little easier on the people that want to help with answers.

As anotherwho lists their country, I agree.

Marg from England.

I'm so sorry to report a problem that is affecting many of our readers. Thanks to the reports of several of our regular subscribers, we have discovered a major glitch in our newsletter subscription service. This is affecting people who have accidentally unsubscribed from our newsletters as well as people who have tried to change their email address for newsletter delivery. Both groups appear to be stuck in "Awaiting Confirmation." We are working with the provider, Constant Contact to resolve this as soon as possible but they are unable to give us any estimate as to how long this might take.

If you have recently stopped getting your emailed newsletters, try using the following link to resubscribe or to add a different email address to the system. If this does not work within 24 hours, email us and we will report the issue directly to Constant Contact.

All our newsletters are archived and are available to read online here:

Thank you so much for your patience in this matter. We hope this will be fixed promptly.

Jess and the rest of the ThriftyFun Team.

I was wondering why I didn't get my newsletters for a few days! I thought it was because my Inbox is always close to its "full" quota, and I worked hard for several days to clear a lot out. The newsletters resumed a few days ago, so I thought I was right. Now I see it wasn't my "quota" at all. I didn't unsubscribe accidentally, as far as I know, but I'm so glad to be getting my newsletters again! Thanks for posting this, and I hope everything works out soon!

We are happy to announce a new feature on ThriftyFun for people that track our site using an RSS reader. We now have RSS feeds for every topic. This means you can target which information you would like to read in your RSS reader. For example, if you just want to be informed when new articles are post in Gardening section you can subscribe to the Gardening RSS feed. For a list of available RSS feeds visit: http://www.thriftyfun.com/rss.html

Debra Frick0 found this helpful

How To Use ThriftyFun Effectively

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

We all love ThriftyFun, right? Lots of times I have thought, "WOW, I would never have thought about that", "What a cute idea" or "What a great tip". I vow that this is something I am not going to forget.

ThriftyFun0 found this helpful

This page will feature a list of updates, changes and fixes to the ThriftyFun websites.

Welcome to our new site! We have worked hard to test the site and make sure that everything is operation. If you encounter any problems, please let us know. You can post them below in the feedback forum or email them to us by using our contact form.

Susan - Chief Cook and Bottle Washer0 found this helpful

We've been running ThriftyFun and it's origins for nearly 5 years now and are looking for ideas to make ThriftyFun and our newsletters better. What parts (newsletters, website sections) do you like and/or not like?

Because there are more and more sites of this type online, are there any ways in which you find it's existence still important. Please be honest. Because ThriftyFun has been based on reader participation, all of your comments positive or negative are very important to us. Please include how long you have been receiving our newsletters.

A friend sent me this site as a link about 2 weeks ago. I was going to delete it thinking it was just people making chit chat. After I saw that on one page you see craft ideas, helped needed topics of all kinds. I thought I'll read a couple ideas then delete it. Well needless to say, I book marked it right then and have been here almost daily. At the end of the day even for a few minutes I read post and see what new craft ideas went up. I love it. My hubby thought I was ebaying. It's that interesting. And I think I like most that when you post a question, so many people are willing to offer there help. I have not even checked out the whole web site, I can't get past the post. I like it that there are no foul language written on anything or any where. It seems so far to be a very respectful and maintained helpful site. I have sent it to everyone I know since receiving it. I hope it never leaves. just when I find a good thing it seems to go.

Editor's Note: Thanks so much and glad you like it. We are just about to our 10th Anniversary and are not planning on going anywhere. We work hard to keep it family friendly and respectful.

if any of you are having the same problem I am,that there is no link to click on at the bottom of the page to go to the next page ...simply go to active topics and you can send replies that way...

not sure why this is happening. is anyone else having this problem? or just me ?

I have been receiving newsletters for so long time , and I am visiting this site almost everyday since I enjoy reading some ideas of crafting in less expenses.. for me there is nothing to change..

I am deeply sorry for our loss of Susan...but her

ideas still remain in our hearts through our crafts..

How do you get to read the profiles of the people on here? I'm new to this, but I thoroughly enjoy this site and would like to read about the wonderful people that make this so interesting.

Thanks and have a great Monday!

Judith from Montandon, PA

hi judith

I live in central illinois

I am 45, have 3 children(all grown)and 2 adorable grandsons. one is 10 months old and the other is 2 months old.their pictures are posted here on thrifty

under "welcome to the world tresaun" I love to read and ride with the hubby on are harley. we take our 5th wheel and camp a lot.we have a cocker spaniel that is chocolate & tan and is 10 years old(spoiled baby)

this is a wonderful site and I too would like to welcome you

hi judith. glad you could join us. my name is sandy and i live in a suburb of baltimore, md called halethorpe. i have 1 dog named ally. she is my daughter 7 yrs old and very sweet. i grew up here. i did move to florida for 5 yrs but really missed it being home after my mom died. so i found this great website about 2 yrs ago. i read it faithfully and find many great tips.

Heavens! I love this website and read it faithfully, but I never realize that you could read profiles. I live between Dallas and Ft. Worth (watauga, tx) so I pay attention to the gardening questions from those near by. I don't know if I've filled out a profile when I signed up. I'm always interested in the recipes and gardening tips. I'm an animal lover (just had to put down my faithful companion of 15 years-Devil Dog) so I enjoy the pictures.

I have a question. When I want to make a comment about something someone has written about, I make sure I am logged in, and still i get the message that I am logged on a guest. What gives?

Linda

If you have disabled cookies, your login won't be "remembered".

That is true, ThriftyFun relies on cookies, so make sure you have cookies turned on. If it still doesn't work, please let us know. If you don't know how to check if cookies are turned on, feel free to post that request as well and we will help you with that.

i also have the same problem. my cookies are enabled. i got a very nice email from thrifty fun but still cant resolve the problem. well at least i can post.

I am new to this site and just love it! I enjoy reading the profiles of all the people that have set up an account, I just wish more people would tell a little something about themselves. It is really easy to set up an account for those of you that never have, and to write a little something about yourself just click on "Your Account" and type in something interesting about yourself; do you have children, pets, or hobbies? Share with us!

Persnickety Paula from Christmas, MI

Editor's Note: Thanks for mentioning it Paula, I think that's a great idea. You can have a subscription without having an account. To register click on the button on the top of the site. It's easy and spam free.

Welcome Paula! This is a great site. So much useful info. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Hi Paula!

Welcome to Us Thrifties! This is a great site! Can't wait to see more of your tips and ideas!

Jennifer CA

I was wondering how long it takes before a question is posted? I submitted a question and it hasn't been posted yet.

Thanks

Normally questions are posted within 24 hours. Lately we have been getting so many requests that it has been taking longer. We hope to get caught up on requests over the weekend.

I suggest very strongly that folks who submit tips also submit their names. I feel like I get know the people on this site because they do put their names. I like Robin's recipes. There are several Sandy's and we all use a different moniker.

By sandy

Editor's Note: We always encourage personalizing your posts. Many people have the same first name (like me, Susan) so it's good to think of something that helps identify you like "Susan from Washington State" or "Susan-WA." It's nice to know what state or country you are writing from.

I like this site because of the great people.

Robin, Teri,and so many more

your tips are great, recipes yummy and most of

all when I miss my family in CA ...I log on here

and enjoy this site. Animal pictures are so

cute and I look at them at night. My husband is

disabled so I am home alot and your site is

wonderful.

Annie~MO