Using Treacle Sugar

Treacle Sugar
Treacle is an uncrystalized sugar syrup made during the refining process. This is a guide about using treacle sugar.

I'm in the UK and need to find out what dark brown treacle sugar is. It's not golden syrup or black treacle, it's a dry sugar. I tried asking the person that wrote recipe, but she's not been any help. So what kind of sugar do I use? I can't find anything over here in UK called treacle sugar. However I did find a website that says:

Huletts treacle sugar is a good substitute for Muscovado sugar.
Huletts treacle sugar (previously known as soft brown sugar) is Huletts SunSweet Sugar (raw sugar) with added caramel and invert syrup.

So do I use muscovdo sugar? or brown sugar?

The recipe was adapted from a BBC recipe which used light muscovado sugar, but the cake didn't look very chocolatey. Since she's calling for dark sugar I don't know what to use! If I use dark muscovado sugar it might be too sweet. So do I use light muscovado sugar?

By Lulu from Leicester, UK

Hi- its definitely muscovado sugar you need to use. I'm in the U.K.

Anonymous

This is taken from the Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Muscovado is a type of unrefined brown sugar with a strong molasses flavor.

Also known as "Barbados sugar", "molasses sugar" or "moist sugar", muscovado is very dark brown and slightly coarser and stickier than most brown sugars. Muscovado takes its flavor and color from its source, sugarcane juice. It offers good resistance to high temperatures and has a reasonably long shelf life. It is commonly used in baking recipes and making rum. Muscovado sugar can be used in most recipes where brown sugar is called for, by slightly reducing the liquid content of the recipe.[1]

Muscovado sugar has 11 calories/ 4 grams (approx. 1 tsp). When produced under regulated conditions, it is nutritionally richer than other brown sugars or refined sugar, and retains most of the natural minerals inherent in sugarcane juice, as shown in this chart:[2]

Mineral content of muscovado sugar (per 100 g)

Brown sugar is something you can make yourself, if you have molasses. I haven't bought brown sugar in many years. I just take the amount of sugar needed, then add molasses, the mild kind, and mix it in thoroughly with a fork. Actually, I am lazy, and I don't even bother mixing it any more, I just add some molasses to the recipe, lol. But mixing it in is a good idea when you don't know how much to add. The final product, for dark brown sugar, should be a deep color the shade of maple syrup. It adds a lot of flavor, and will add some moistness and color to baked goods. Hope this helps.