Vegetable Broth From Peels And Scraps

For an inexpensive homemade vegetable broth, I save all the peelings from potatoes and carrots, ends of celery, onions, peppers, fresh garlic outer peels from crushing and literally any other vegetable, such as broccoli stalks, etc. I wash or scrub them in cold water, drain well and add them to a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week. I add them all to a pot of cold water, heat to boil and then lower to simmer for an hour. I strain through cheesecloth and I have a wonderful broth for starting a soup, pot pie or any recipe calling for a good vegetable broth. Buying ready-made broth in cans is expensive! Using all of the peelings and cuttings that usually gets thrown away is getting every penny out of the money you spend on expensive food today. It is also more nutritious in my opinion than store bought broth!

By Pattie from Bridgton, Maine

Vegetable Broth From Peels And Scraps

Great idea, and you are also getting a natural broth without the preservatives which are in the store broths. (05/11/2008)

By Liz

Vegetable Broth From Peels And Scraps

Wow, that is a great idea! I can do this regularly and freeze broth. Thanks for the tip! (05/30/2008)

By Donna

Potato Peeler With Potatoes
Peeling Vegetables
A bowl of fresh vegetable soup.
Making Vegetable Broth
Lemon Peel
Uses for Citrus Peels
Peeling a potato.
Uses for Potato Peels
Composting Citrus Peels
Composting Citrus Peels