Peeling Vegetables

Vegetable peelers go dull rather fast. I spent many, many years just tossing them out and buying new ones. I wish I learned this trick when I first moved out on my own:Just take the back of a paring knife and run it back and forth against the blades. Flip the peeler over and do the same. I bought a paring knife at the 99 cent store just for this purpose.

You can do this on any kitchen equipment that has a blade. Try it, you'll be peeling faster in no time!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

4 More Solutions

I used to use a regular standard potato peeler for taking the skins off fruits and veggies. If I had many to do, I'd always get a blister below my index finger...

When peeling vegetables, peel the large end first, then the small end. That way you will have the rough skin as a "handle" while you're holding the small end, and you'll have the large end to hold as a "handle" while you peel the small end.

By Katie A.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Anytime I chop veggies for a meal, soup or stew, I save all of the end pieces and skins - pretty much anything that is left over. I wash them, dry them, and freeze them in a ziploc baggie for making stock for soups and sauces.

Comment Like this photo? 4

For an inexpensive homemade vegetable broth, I save all the peelings from potatoes and carrots, ends of celery, etc.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsNovember 14, 2012
👒
👔
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Peeling-Vegetables-1.html