Venting a Dryer Inside

My clothes dryer is NOT vented to the outside of my house. I have been using a vent box that I have to try to remember to put water in that is supposed to catch the lint. Needless to say, it doesn't do a very effective job, even when I do manage to remember to refill it. Even though the dryer is in the garage, it still makes a mess with the lint flying around everywhere. Does anyone have any other suggestions or know of any new contraptions that may help catch more of the lint? Of course we want it to be safe too. Venting to the outside isn't an option at this time. What were they thinking when they built it like that?

Thanks for any input!

Angie from Bham, AL

Venting a Dryer Inside

Use an old pair of panty hose! Just cut off a leg below the knee and attach it with a large rubber band or something else that will keep it secure to your hose. The lint will be caught in the hose, but the air will be able to blow through. (03/29/2007)

By glowgirl

Venting a Dryer Inside

Try putting a knee hi on the end of your vent hose. It should catch the majority of any wayward lint.

God Bless! (03/29/2007)

By GrammySheila

Venting a Dryer Inside

Put a knee high pantyhose over the vent. (03/29/2007)

By Lois

Venting a Dryer Inside

Though my dryer is vented to the outside the lint was collecting in my flower bed. I put a knee high on the vent to collect the lint. I had some problems with the dryer and the electrician that came to repair it had an absolute fit when he saw the knee high. He said it was a fire hazard and should be removed immediately. (03/29/2007)

By Dianne

Venting a Dryer Inside

I have used the Knee High/Panty hose arrangement for years as did my mother before me. The secret to a NON fire hazard is Change the Stocking as soon as you can see it is half to three/quarters full to insure you get proper airflow and don't forget to vacuum out the inside of the dryer where the lint goes to the vent. Sometimes you need a paper towel roll to fit in the opening but do vacuum it regularly. Wet lint does not always make it to the vent hose! (03/29/2007)

By SalTCBug

Venting a Dryer Inside

no no no don't use a stocking! My dryer vents to our enclosed porch, so here's what I made.

Get a 5-gallon bucket that has a lid. Get a dryer hose extension, the flexible plastic kind, cost is about $5.

Cut a hole in the bucket lid that you can insert the end of the extension vent hose into. I used my dremel multi-tool with a cutting bit to make a pretty good circle, one that the vent hose end would just fit into.

On the bucket, drill holes around the upper half all the way around. Make plenty of holes, because the vent will go into the lid, which will be on top of the bucket, and you want it to "breathe."
Fill the bucket halfway up with water. This catches the lint and helps keep it cool. Just make sure you have at least 2 rows of holes drilled all around the top rim of the bucket.
You will have to empty the bucket now & then, depending on how much laundry you do. (04/22/2008)

By snoozer55

RE: Venting a Dryer Inside

Venting a Dryer Inside
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
clothes dryer
Venting Your Dryer Inside
Dryer Sheets
Are Dryer Sheets Safe for Birds?
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch