Vinegar and Water for an Ear Infection

What is the mixture for the vinegar and water to help with a ear infection?

Kim from Toledo, OH

Answers:

Vinegar and Water for an Ear Infection

When I had swimmer's ear (it lasted from July until January) the doctor wouldn't give me antibiotics, but told me to use a vinegar/water solution. He said to use a teaspoon of vinegar to three teaspoons of water and use an eye dropper to put drops into my ear. After just two weeks of doing this, my swimmer's ear vanished! I mixed the solution and stored it in a little container right in the shower, at the end of my shower I gave my ear a little squirt. I also use my blowdryer on low and dry my ears out before I start to dry my hair. Good luck on clearing up your ear infection! (09/09/2006)

By Persnickety Paula

Vinegar and Water for an Ear Infection

The vinegar-water solution (you can also add some alcohol to help it dry quicker) is for use for swimmer's ear, an irritation of the ear canal, "only". It will NOT work on an inner ear infection.

If you have an inner ear infection and put off seeing a doctor, it will continually get worse, and may cause a chronic condition and permanent hearing loss. The vinegar-water or vinegar-water-alcohol solutions will NOT help. If you're not sure what kind of a problem you have, do NOT take any chances, see a doctor. Your hearing is worth it.

(09/11/2006)

By susanmajp

Vinegar and Water for an Ear Infection

My ENT told me vinegar added to alcohol was a wonder drug. My ear was very badly infected and the mixture cleared it up. 3 to 1 sounds like the right proportion. (09/11/2006)

By sandy63

Vinegar and Water for an Ear Infection

Not to change subject, but I always use straight peroxide in my ear. My ear specialist recommended it. It clears up an ear infection fast. (09/11/2006)

By Autumn

Vinegar and Water for an Ear Infection

All this advise is good. My ear doctor said to use a half vinegar and half alcohol solution. Which is what I do. But be warned, if your ear is raw inside the alcohol will set you on fire. (09/12/2006)

Vinegar and Water for an Ear Infection

I had a chronic ear infection and was operated on in 1999. About every third or fourth night, I use 3 drops of white vinegar and alcohol (50/50). I have not had a full blown ear infection for almost 2 years since I started using the solution. Before that, I could almost bank on getting an infection about once every 6 months. I still get the ear checked and cleaned at 6 month intervals. (03/23/2008)

By Kevin