Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear

Category Home Remedies
Swimmers ear is a painful infection of the outer ear canal. This is a guide about treating and preventing swimmers ear.

Anyone who has ever had swimmers ear knows how painful it is. Put equal parts of vinegar and rubbing alcohol into a small bottle with a dropper lid. Close, and shake gently. Put 8 to 10 drops in your ear, tilt your head sideways for a few minutes so the drops don't come out. Then allow to drain. Repeat with the other ear. If you already have swimmers ear use vinegar only.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

I have an ear infection that has been diagnosed as swimmers ear. It is very painful and my outer ear is swollen and has grainy stuff coming out of the ear canal. What heals this?

By Michele

Answers

Best Answer

Only cure I know of is medicated drops from the doctor. But to prevent this condition: make a solution of 50/50 vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Place a couple drops in your ear while tilting your head toward your shoulder so the solutions stays in the canal, let it stay in your ear a little while (30 seconds) and then drain by tilting your head back to its normal position.

A build up of water that doesn't drain from the ear canal is what causes the problem. My child's doctor told me about this preventive action years ago before they sold "swimmers ear" solutions. The alcohol helps to break up the water and the vinegar reestablished the PH balance in the ear canal.

I had swimmers ear because I washed my hair each day and water got into my ear. Not fun. The vinegar and alcohol solution will not burn unless your ear is irritated. Hope this helps. Didi in Denver