Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

I add plain vinegar to the rise container in my dishwasher. I have bought the pricey "rinse aids" and I think the vinegar does a much better job. I don't notice any vinegar smell on my dishes either.

By Susan from Giddings, TX

Answers:

Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

Depending on the kind of water that you have, vinegar can work. I used to use it when I had hard water. Now that I have soft water, I don't find that it does anything at all extra. Your results will depend on the type of water that you have. (08/01/2008)

By louel53

Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

I've been using it too and have had some success with spots, but more importantly, it keeps my dishwasher fresh and not stinky in between loads -- especially in hot humid weather. Also, consider the toxic chemicals you are putting on your dishes (and then ingesting!) and the fumes you are putting in to your home and the toxins into the environment. Just to prevent spots? Seriously, if it bothers you, open the door before the dishes are dry (but after the clean cycle) and wipe glasses and cutlery with a dish towel. It is a great way to remove coffee and tea scum that dishwashers aren't the best at removing.

People need to remember that the stuff we use goes somewhere -- it doesn't just magically disappear. It becomes a problem, and it only gets bigger if we ignore it.

If you want a website that you can use to check out the ingredients in your household products, visit: www.householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/

I was shocked at what companies are allowed to sell and how they can claim a product is "safe" because the toxicity level of that one ingredient is low. What about the cumulative effect over time?

Our poor livers have to filter all those chemicals we are ingesting and inhaling -- yes, that fresh scent is not good for our bodies. Use common sense people: if you have to keep away from kids and pets or avoid inhaling, then it's not "safe." Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now! (08/01/2008)

By Oberhund.

Vinegar for Dishwasher Rinse Agent

Thanks for the tip. I always forget just how versatile that old jug of vinegar can be. (08/03/2008)

By pjean

Dishwasher full of dishes.
Homemade Rinse Agent Recipes
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Dishwasher full of dishes.
Saving Money on Rinse Agent
Open dishwasher.
Cleaning Dishwasher Rinse Agent Dispenser
real estate agent
Selecting a Real Estate Agent
🎉
🎄