Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

My washing machine washes, but will not empty or spin. How can I fix it?

By Timothy B. from Tampa, FL

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

Depending on the models the earlier models had brake shoes in the bottom of the machine. If you tip the machine over you can see them. If they are worn, they don't engage and so may need replacing; these were on about 20 year old machines.

One of the problems with the newer models is that they have a cut out switch when you lift the lid. If this is broken the machine won't engage in the spin cycle so it isn't an expensive part to replace that could be worth checking. A volt meter would quickly tell you if it was working or not. It is just a basic switch.

The other problem that happens is that the pump is blocked ie., some hair and may need cleaning. They stop if they are blocked. I think they have a sensor, but once unblocked they are fine. So that is a couple of ideas to start with regards, Rustyreks New Zealand (07/22/2009)

By rustyreks

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

We just had that problem and I think my husband put the old transmission from another one in it. Until he fixed it I had to stand there with a pencil or something pointy and hold it in the hole in the top to make it spin. (07/22/2009)

By lindybell

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working

I just had mine fixed. The lever that holds the lid closed while the wash spins and empties had broken. The part cost $25, labor $60. (07/22/2009)

By tennesue

Washing Machine Spin Cycle Not Working
open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
Man Repairing a Washing Machine
Repairing a Washing Machine
Washing Machine
Washing Machine Moves During Spin Cycle
clothes in washer spinning
Washer Making Noise During Spin Cycle