Washing Microfiber Cushion Covers

I have a cream colored microfiber sofa and I want to wash the cushion covers in the washing machine. Any suggestions for settings and detergents? Do I put them in the dryer or put them back on the cushions to dry?

Deborah from St Augustine, FL

Answers:

Washing Microfiber Cushion Covers

I washed the covers for the back cushions of my Precedent microfiber sectional sofa, inside out, on ultra-delicate, cold wash and rinse, and dried them on the air dry mode in the dryer. Well, they are softer and smell much better than they did, but the microfiber upper layer of the covers has "bubbled" away from the thick white backing material and now I have to iron the cushion covers to make them look decent again. It's almost as if the microfiber was glued to the backing material and the process of washing the covers caused the layers to separate in spots, forming raised bubbles.

I'm rather disappointed at the quality of the material on this sofa. If the cushions had been covered in a thick single layer of high-quality, heavy-duty microfiber, rather than a two-layer job that just made the microfiber seem heavier and thicker than it actually was, this wouldn't have happened. I should have realized before I washed it that with the two layers, there was either glue involved, or the two materials wouldn't shrink at the same rate. If I had it to do over, I would definitely stick to spot cleaning, or a take them to a dry cleaner. Might be a good excuse to update the sofa with new cushion covers though. Good luck! (01/12/2008)

By Oops!

Washing Microfiber Cushion Covers

I just tried it on my microfiber covers from Bob's Discount Furniture, and it worked great. I washed them in cold water with a little Tide, one at a time on Delicate cycle. When they were finished I immediately pulled them out and put them right back on the foam inserts and they look great! No shrinking or bunching. (11/08/2008)

By Kate

Washing Microfiber Cushion Covers

I just threw mine in the wash on cold and gentle; literally 2 minutes ago. I guess we will see how they turn out. I scrubbed them in the bath tub first. My son got into my make up bag, and well, I have no more make up. A lot of lip gloss, chap stick, and lipstick is all over the cushions. I scrubbed as much as I could. (12/07/2008)

By Samantha

Washing Microfiber Cushion Covers

I have a micro fiber couch and I always take the covers off and wash them in the machine. I just use upholstery cleaner in the wash then I put them back on wet, it hasn't messed up or anything. It gets them really clean. I also just found out how to get pen out of them, just use hairspray. It worked really well. (12/18/2008)

By trb

Washing Microfiber Cushion Covers

Just washed mine on delicate cycle. I did not dry it, just put the covers on straight out of the washer. They look fantastic! (01/06/2009)

By Jen

Woman with laptop and phone sitting across a rust colored armchair.
Washing Microfiber Cushion Covers
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty Stains from Microfiber
Brown microfiber couch.
Cleaning Microfiber Furniture
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Boxer on White Microfiber Couch
Removing Pet Hair from Microfiber
🎉
🎄