Washing Walls and Ceilings

An important, if not fun, part of home maintenance is washing the walls and ceilings on occasion. This is a guide about washing walls and ceilings.

Washing Walls and Ceilings
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Our baseboards are in dire need of a good cleaning and I just hate to do it. They are painted with white semi-gloss paint and they show everything. Having a Saint Bernard and 3 cats doesn't help either. Does anyone know an easier way to clean them than the "on my hands and knees" deal. Thanks so much.

Jenny in KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I love sock method. Sweeping them every time you vaccum the room is a quick preventative measure that prevents heavy buildup and back-breaking work.

Read More Answers...

I read a few of the tips on washing walls but still had a question or two. Can I use a mixture of water with either bleach or sunlight dish soap? How much should I use? I have the worst luck washing walls! My mother used to use Tide. Her walls were fine, but I am thinking I used too much Tide? I tried the mop idea before too, but it left a worse mess than I had in the first place. :-( I really don't like the idea of ammonia either. Any advice would be helpful.

Lori from Kentville, Nova Scotia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For white walls, I use bleach in water and a rag. You will literally see the tar run off the walls.

Read More Answers...

I need to know the easiest way of washing walls an ceilings? What do I use to get stains, finger prints, and dirt off? What is the best cleaning solutions and methods? Thank you.

Esther

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

TS[ (TriSodium Phosphate) available in the paint department...

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/inftsp.html

Read More Answers...

I have a bad back and find it hard to clean the walls. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do them?

By Candace

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a well wrung sponge mop, it's a real back saver!

How do you wash oil based painted walls?

By Cindy from Lorain, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are talking about regular plasterboard walls painted with an oil base paint, just about any household cleaner will do. You can use Mr. Clean, Dawn, Pinesol, ammonia (which I find too stinky!) in water these are just products that I can think of, a couple of cap fulls in about a 1/2 -3/4 gal of water is good. Many people swear by vinegar and water, but I think actual soap/detergent based products are better for walls, especially if they have smoke or accumulated dirt or cooking grease on them. You can also use bleach in water, but I would only do that if there is mildew. For washing walls, you don't need anything special.

Read More Answers...

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I recently found a use for the Swiffer floor dusters. Use it on your walls and ceiling to get the dust that sets and collects on them. I was surprised at how much it actually got off the walls and ceiling. It's easy on the back as well. And only a few minutes gets it all done.

By Joely from Ceres, CA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My whole apartment (5 rooms) is all paneling, so every spring I like to wash it with Murphy's Oil soap. I use to get my clothing and hands caught on the nails that hold all my pictures, so this year I went to the dollar store and bought a sponge mop that has a wringer that doesn't get your hands wet. This with a bucket of warm water with Murphy's worked great.

I didn't hurt my hands, my hands also didn't dry out from the soap water, and I didn't have to keep bending down to wash the bottom of the walls. It was so much easier and faster. In 5 days I had 5 rooms done and spring isn't here yet. Now I can go out and play this spring.

By Debbie from Berwick, ME

Home and Garden Cleaning WallsOctober 2, 2012
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Mold on Walls
Removing Mold from Painted Walls and Ceiling
Patching a Plaster Wall
Patching a Plaster Wall
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 24, 2016 at 8:09:09 AM on 10.0.0.157 in 315 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.