Washing Walls and Ceilings

An important, if not fun, part of home maintenance is washing the walls and ceilings on occasion. This is a guide about washing walls and ceilings.

July 5, 2007 Flag

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I recently found a use for the Swiffer floor dusters. Use it on your walls and ceiling to get the dust that sets and collects on them. I was surprised at how much it actually got off the walls and ceiling. It's easy on the back as well. And only a few minutes gets it all done.

By Joely from Ceres, CA

Hi Joely (from Ceres.....I'm from Modesto :D )! I also use Swiffer for washing my windows outside. I put a microfibre cloth on it and it does a great job!!!

This is wonderful idea. I love to have a clean house but dread "spring cleaning" type jobs like washing walls. Your tip would save tons of time! Thanks, I will be trying this soon.

I'm one of those who has never had much luck with the Swiffer. I tried it for a while but just didn't feel it did that great of a job. As for walls and ceilings, if you have heavily textured areas the Swiffer may not work as well as on a smooth or orange peel surface. In our house, it would just snag up.

I've found that a regular old dust mop works better for me, both on floors and walls. And it's washable.

March 24, 2006 Flag

My whole apartment (5 rooms) is all paneling, so every spring I like to wash it with Murphy's Oil soap.

January 15, 2005 Flag

Our baseboards are in dire need of a good cleaning and I just hate to do it. They are painted with white semi-gloss paint and they show everything. Having a Saint Bernard and 3 cats doesn't help either. Does anyone know an easier way to clean them than the "on my hands and knees" deal. Thanks so much.

Jenny in KY

Place an old pair of sports socks, sprayed with a bit of vinegar and water. Then just use your feet to do a quick cleaning.

Use a sponge mop and put a squirt of mop-n-glo in the water and the next time all the gunk will wipe off easily.

Next time you paint, use glossy paint on baseboards for easier cleanup.

cj

You can buy a tub cleaner. It is a plastic wand with a sponge and scrubber attached. I clean my kitchen floor under my table with them. My chair legs have the rubber caps and it leaves black marks on the floor. This way you don't have to get down on your hands and knees. I also agree with the gloss paint.

Would 409 cleaner give them a kick? I'll do anything not to have to get down on all 4's to clean them. I use a mop too, but it does get the ground in stuff up.

Help

try mr clean magic erasers,they clean almost everything.

October 14, 2005 Flag

I read a few of the tips on washing walls but still had a question or two. Can I use a mixture of water with either bleach or sunlight dish soap? How much should I use? I have the worst luck washing walls! My mother used to use Tide. Her walls were fine, but I am thinking I used too much Tide? I tried the mop idea before too, but it left a worse mess than I had in the first place. :-( I really don't like the idea of ammonia either. Any advice would be helpful.

Lori from Kentville, Nova Scotia

I use a spray bottle. I use a solution of 2 tbs of alcohol(this helps the walls dry faster) then half water, half vinegar. I wipe the walls with a damp sponge, then mist the walls with the vinegar solution. Then wipe again with the sponge. I keep the sponge rinsed out and damp only. It may seem like double work to wipe first but if your walls are really dusty you could get rivers of dirt if you don't wipe first. I use this solution on all my walls, they vary from painted, papered and wood. Good luck.

buy a tried and true product called TSP ask for it

in home depot, lowes or stores like that it does not

cost much and it WORKS. my girlfriend smoked and walls had a tar coating sticky and yucky ....she never opened windows.

After trying different products, I have gone back to the one from my early years of marriage, Mr. Clean. I use it on the woodwork, walls, in my mop water, in the showers, etc. I use it for practically everything. I dilute it with water using a very small amount of Mr. Clean.

I use a wet swiffer. There is no mess and it smells good.

Hello, I'm new and I saw your post.

I use the new Mr Clean Magic Erasor sponges.

It's white and you just wet it down with water. It works like magic. However they do wear out pretty fast.

I also agree that TSP is a good product.

November 14, 2009 Flag

I need to know the easiest way of washing walls an ceilings? What do I use to get stains, finger prints, and dirt off? What is the best cleaning solutions and methods? Thank you.

Esther

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm marking so I can find again and see the responses. I'm dreading doing the kitchen; would love any hints.

A quick easy recipe for a cleaning walls if they are wood or sheet rock,(dry walls). B ucket,hot water,sponge mop, & elbow grease, old saying.

2 tablespoons ammonia, 2 tablespoons liquid detergent (like Dawn or Ivory for your dishes), and 1/2 bucket hot water

You can double this recipe. Good luck.

TS[ (TriSodium Phosphate) available in the paint department...

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/inftsp.html

April 6, 2013 Flag

I have a bad back and find it hard to clean the walls. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do them?

By Candace

I use a well wrung sponge mop, it's a real back saver!

July 16, 2010 Flag

How do you wash oil based painted walls?

By Cindy from Lorain, OH

There is a product called Dirtex which I love. It's a small box of power/crystals you mix with water and wipe your walls with. You can buy it at hardware stores or larger home improvement stores. It's wonderful stuff, and no smell or harsh chemicals.

If you are talking about regular plasterboard walls painted with an oil base paint, just about any household cleaner will do. You can use Mr. Clean, Dawn, Pinesol, ammonia (which I find too stinky!) in water these are just products that I can think of, a couple of cap fulls in about a 1/2 -3/4 gal of water is good. Many people swear by vinegar and water, but I think actual soap/detergent based products are better for walls, especially if they have smoke or accumulated dirt or cooking grease on them. You can also use bleach in water, but I would only do that if there is mildew. For washing walls, you don't need anything special.

Home and Garden Cleaning WallsOctober 2, 2012
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Mold on Walls
Removing Mold from Painted Walls and Ceiling
Patching a Plaster Wall
Patching a Plaster Wall
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
🎉
🎄