What Can I Use on Laminate Floors That Won't Streak?

I have Pergo floors that are a very light shade of wood color. I have tried mopping them with a damp mop and with ammonia and with vinegar and even with the Pergo cleaner. I have tried the new steam mop as well. They look fine immediately after mopping with whatever I use, but then I can see streaks a day or so later. What can I use to clean the floors to get rid of the streaks?

By Susan from Tampa, FL

Answers:

Using too much liquid can ruin laminate floors. That is also what causes streaks and spots. You can use a Wonder mop and plain water. Use their wringer, then wring it out more by hand until it is almost dry. Mop with the grain of the wood. I dust mop often, but mop as rarely as I can get by with. If I see a spot on the floor, I use a damp paper towel to wipe the spot, then dry it with a dry paper towel. (10/19/2010)

By Anonymous

You should never use anything on a laminate floor except an approved laminate cleaner. Try Bona X laminate floor cleaner. Keep the floor as dry as possible, never use vinegar and water! Laminate is nothing, but pressed wood with a veneer on top. If water soaks down between it, the wood will swell and you will have "humps" in your floor. If an approved cleaner does not do the trick, call your local flooring store and ask them to contact Technical Support for that brand of laminate. Sadly, the damage may be done. Good luck! (10/20/2010)

By vickster

By the way, the ammonia is probably what caused your streaking damage. :( (10/20/2010)

By vickster

I was told just today by an Empire installer that you can purchase laminate floor cleaner at Lowe's and Home Depot. A lady on the phone from Empire told me to get either Bruce or Armstrong laminate cleaner. The installer said to never use a steam cleaner, and when using a mop be sure it's no more than the wetness of a wash cloth you would hand wring.
I had a scratch on my floor and the guy from Empire said that most scratches occur from sharp small rocks embedded in the bottom of shoes. (10/25/2010)

By GrannyGoff

Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄