Cleaning Dull Laminate Floors

Category Floors
Laminate floors can become dull from wear or the use of certain cleaning products. Many homeowners have had success cleaning them using steam or vinegar and water. They typically need to be dried to prevent water spots and streaks. This is a guide about cleaning dull laminate floors.

I have had my cleaning business for 14 years working with many different floor types. Floor surface residue build up is a combination of previously used products, yes, but there are many other culprits.

The following is a short list:
outside dirt, foot oil, lotions, baby powders, perfumes, room deodorizers, make-up, spray deodorants, hair spray, animal paws, foods, dust, cooking oils, fireplace/gas fire/gas heat/woodstove, plus many more. These things will eventually become part of the "floor surface residue."

The safest cleaning method (besides hand cleaning and drying by the sq. ft.) is to mix a drop of Dawn dish detergent with warm water, spray onto a microfiber mop for hardwood (keeping it almost dry) and hand cloth spot clean and dry immediately. Laminate wood floor can be a little more damp, and even more so for linoleum and tile/marble, and cement.

The #1 key is to sweep/vacuum "all" the time. If you are looking for, as close to, the brand new, just installed look, after a thorough sweep/vacuum and mopping, perhaps, with a second warm water only mopping with a clean microfiber, get down on your hands and knees with a couple of clean microfiber cloths and rubbing alcohol and clean up dull surface build up (not recommended every time).

A little reminder: life is short, it's just a floor.

Be sure to consult the manufacturer of your flooring, for the recommended cleaning and waxing products. This guide is about making laminate floors shine.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

How can I get my dull laminate floor to shine like it did when new?

By Marsha

Answers

Best Answer

I had that same problem, and someone told me to clean it with soap and water, which worked great, but I was on my hands and knees and that was just too much work! So then I bought a Shark, the cleaner that cleans with steam, and then mop it all with mop & glow. The floors looked like new again!

Best Answer

I find that mopping with vinegar and water or steam cleaning works very well, but the floor must be thoroughly dried or it will be streaky. I tie a towel to my dust mop and dry each section as I clean it. Seems like a lot of work, but it's worth it and I only have to do it about three or four times a year.

I have dull laminate floors. I have tried a lot of solutions made for laminate floors which leave it dull and filmy. I have heard a solution of vinegar and water works best, but hate the smell. Any suggestions?

By jules from Phoenix, AZ

Answers

Best Answer

Well, Orange Glo works and smells great, but I don't know about laminate-mine are real wood. I think they make a cleaner, but it's pricey. You might add some essential oils to scent-maybe something from the dollar store-or even liquid potpourri. I use vinegar water to clean up after dogs, and I put a little sandalwood oil in it to keep the smell down.

Best Answer

Don't use so much vinegar. It only takes about 1/2 cup to a bucket of water. Never use orange glow on laminate.

How do I get a slight shine on my dull white laminate flooring?

BY Julie