Removing Rug Backing Stuck to a Floor

Category Floors
Moisture and heat can cause a rubber backed rug to stick to a floor. This guide is about removing rug backing stuck to a floor.

I used to have a rug on my kitchen floor. When I moved it, it left some of the backing, like glue on the linoleum. Any suggestions on how to get it off?

bubblesfouru2

Answers

By jean (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Try spraying it thoroughly with WD40, let set 10 - 15 minutes, and scrape with a plastic scraper, spatula, or edge of a credit card so you don't scratch the floor. This worked for me on a vinyl tile floor. Maybe it will work for you.

Best Answer

Try acetone-type nail polish remover.

Best Answer

The acetone nail polish remover worked a treat. I soaked the area and covered with foil (following idea for removing shellac nail polish), waited 15 minutes and it came off using a BBQ scraper with little effort.

Thanks for the tip!

Any suggestions how to remove the rubber mat that I used under a area rug which is on a painted concrete floor?

Answers

Best Answer

Saturate it with water then use a plastic scraper to peel off the rubber. If any is left over, use Goo Gone to remove it.

Best Answer

Scrape if off with a putty knife. Sometimes you can soften it with a blow dryer.

Best Answer

Like mentioned above, heating it up a bit with a blow dryer sounds seems like the right thing to try. Then use a plastic scraper or putty knife. Normally, I would recommend a razor blade scraper but those also great for removing paint!

Best Answer

I used baby oil, let it sit for 15 min, worked like a charm.

How do I get carpet rubber backing off of a cement floor?

By claudio

Answers

Best Answer

It depends on the glue that was used. I have had luck using a blow-dryer and/or a heat gun to warm up the glue-backing that was on the back of carpet tile (this also works for removing linoleum & vinyl flooring tiles). Open a window & use care! You don't want to set a fire or breathe the fumes from the hot carpeting.

Just warm it up a tiny bit, don't get the carpeting very hot! You can use a paint scraper as a tool, & hold it with an oven mitt.

Long ago, I had a friend in the 1970's that tried to remove the glue that they used to glue her indoor-outdoor carpeting to the floor with. She never did get it off & instead she had new carpeting laid over the glue.

Best Answer

My husband inadvertently discovered that getting it really wet loosened the glue. Then he used a scraper to work it off by hand. It was the water did the trick - the wetter, the better. (Though I'd try a section of your floor first. I'd imagine that it'd depend on your glue.)

I used a rubber bathmat under the laundry sink. It worked well until I tried to pick it up. The rubber has perished and is now stuck to the floor! HELP! How do I get perished rubber off a vinyl floor? It's bad!

Kathryn from Wellington, New Zealand

Answers

Best Answer

Try spraying floor with WD-40 and let sit a few minutes then scrap up.

By Don (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Thank you! I also tried the WD40 trick on a wood floor that had a rubber carpet mat stuck to it after 18 years. Goo-gone and TSP had failed; WD 40 enabled me to scrape off the stuck bits after a 10 minute soak. The discoverer of this trick deserves a Nobel prize!

I need help. I want to change the flooring in my basement, but when I pulled the carpet up, I discovered that the previous owners laid rubber back carpet on the cement. It has left the rubber on the floor in huge patches that I have, as yet, been unable to remove. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to remove rubber backing from a cement floor? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mel from NS, Canada

Answers:

Removing Rubber Carpet Back From Cement Floor

We remodel a lot of homes. The only way I have had luck is by scraping. I bought a 4 inch razor blade scraper at the lumber yard and it worked great. It had long handle on it, also. They aren't too expensive. (09/14/2007)

By Ledda

Maybe there is adhesive under that rubber. Goo Gone makes a spray that you can put on adhesive to remove. Then all you will need to do is scrape it off. Check your local home improvement stores. Will make the job a lot easier. If you think it is just stuck, then I think I would try vinegar and water to soak a bit and then scrape with a putty knife. (09/15/2007)

I had the same thing happen to me, I used water. You can't hurt the concrete floor with water, so just pour the water onto the sponge and let it soak up, leave it on for 15 minutes. You can work in patches going back and forth. You still have to scrape, but it is much easier. If you can find a long handled scraper, the kind they use to remove tile, it will save on your back. (09/16/2007)

By LEONA LABINE

I recently borrowed a little portable steamer from a friend to remove masking tape on wood floors. The tape had been along the floor moldings I painted years ago. It lifted the tape up great and then I scraped with a putty knife. I used Goo-Gone for the sticky residue. This may be your answer if the foam is rather thick and hard to remove. (09/16/2007)

By Pattie McIntyre

Water worked a treat, following the initial scrape, water softened the residue and we were able to virtually brush it off with a broom. Thanks for the tip PICO. (02/14/2009)

By VickiH