What To Do With Old Paneling

What To Do With Old Paneling

I live in a house that was built in 1957, apparently when tacky wood paneling was in style; and after fifty years it has only gotten uglier! I can't afford to remove the paneling and drywall, so for a quick fix of color I decided to prime and paint.

I used the comforter to pick out colors for the color scheme. I bought Ace brand paint and primer. I have used other types of primer on the paneling in other rooms and found that it ran down the wall. The Ace brand is very thick and did not run at all and spatters very little when rolling.

My bedroom is now my most favorite room in the house!

By Paula from Christmas, MI

Paula's Bedroom Redo - Before

Paula's Bedroom Before

Paula's Bedroom Redo - After

Paula's Bedroom After

Answers:

What To Do With Old Paneling

My house built in the 70's was all wood paneling and it has all been removed. Dry wall behind it was repaired and painted. It took us 2 years to do it all, but the results were worth it. Good luck from Nova Scotia Canada. The wood paneling is a fire hazard as well!! (01/22/2007)

By sharon l

What To Do With Old Paneling

When re-doing my parent's house, also from the late 50's - we chose to paint the blondish paneling with a white wash - which made it look "pickled" and matte, and quite fashionable! (01/22/2007)

By pamphyila

What To Do With Old Paneling

It really looks nice. Great job. (01/22/2007)

By Ziggee

What To Do With Old Paneling

It looks lovely Paula, and the room looks so much bigger. Well done. (01/22/2007)

By downunderchick

What To Do With Old Paneling

Hey Paula! Your bedroom looks beautiful. I have seen paneling being painted on the home improvement shows. It is much faster and cheaper than trying to take it down and repairing the wall.

I'll bet you're really enjoying your new room! (01/22/2007)

By Debbie52

What To Do With Old Paneling

Thank you! This is what I've been trying to tell my husband and not getting the picture across. I really like your idea of matching the paint to the comforter. I painted over blondish paneling in my guest room years ago, but have been hesitant to try it on the darker paneling! (01/24/2007)

By I love junk

What To Do With Old Paneling

Thank you, everyone, for your very nice comments. Your kind words help inspire me to keep going and continue covering all the other tacky paneling in my house! (01/25/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

What To Do With Old Paneling

If you'd like some texture on the wall - try this. Before painting, hot glue cotton cord or rope between the "panels" - where each groove is - then paint. Great idea for family or rec room. (01/26/2007)

By Deb

What To Do With Old Paneling

Hi: I did the same thing in my living room, now its also my favorite room. I stressed myself out for 15 years about the ugly paneling and like you, I am so pleased now.

Great Job. Judy (01/26/2007)

By craftermom1

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

What To Do With Old Paneling

Beautiful, Judy, just beautiful. You are a great inspiration to me; my living room will be the next room to tackle!
(01/26/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

What To Do With Old Paneling

It turned out beautiful! (01/31/2007)

By crazypete

What To Do With Old Paneling
Wallpaper installed over wood paneling.
Wallpapering Over Wood Paneling
room with wallpaper
Updating Old Wood Paneling
Wood Paneling
Removing Water Stains from Barnwood Paneling
Refinishing Wood Paneling
Refinishing Wood Paneling
🎄
🍂