What is This Plant?

This is a houseplant I have had for many years. I would like to cut it back and see if it will root. What is this?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Susan from Happy Valley, OR

Umbrella plant/Schefflera.

Looks like an Umbrella plant to me, and if it is, be careful where you plant it, as I understand it, it's root system heads for water and could cause damage.

It is a schefflera. You can propogate it by air layering.

I have only been successful once, you put damp spaghn moss around the stem where you want to cut it off and wrap saran wrap over the spaghn moss securing at the top and bottom of plastic wrap creating a small green house effect. (keep this damp for the duration) I think it took mine about 3 mos before I saw roots against the plastic wrap then I cut the stem off and placed the new plant with roots in potting soil. Good luck!

It is a schefflera plant commonly know as an umbrella plant. I have cut mine back many times as my house is not large and my husband threatens to throw anything to overly large out in the snowbank. The really large plants should be cut off lower. They will grow new shoots (this takes awhile)and continue to flourish. Take the cutting and place it in a vase of water. (I use rainwater) It will take several months to grow roots (white). Once these are 1-2 inches long you can put them in potting soil. It will take a while for the plant to start growing so be patient. Even it you do not have any luck with the cutting, you still have your original plant.

Smaller schefflera plants root a little quicker and need to be cut back or they can really get out of control. Good luck.

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsDecember 28, 2010
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Mystery Plant
What is This Garden Plant?
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant