What is This Plant?

I have a plant that I can't find information about. I am hoping for some help.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Jean from Petal, MS

Hi Jean,

It is an amaryllis. Here is a link to how to grow them by Ellen our TF gardening expert: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf50701773.tip.html.

I hope this helps. There are a couple of other posts on Thriftyfun relating to this plant. You can do a Google search of our site using the search box on the upper right hand corner of the home page. If you put in "growing amaryllis" you will see a couple of other requests.

It looks very much like an Amaryllis based on the stem. Similar to mine that refuses to bloom around Christmas, only outside in the summer.

It is an Amaryllis for sure!

Yes, yes, yes. That's what I get for reading my mail late (not first up to bat, that's all!)! Amaryllis. Not difficult to grow, at least whenever I've seen/had any. I'm in California, but that shouldn't make any difference. Usually has two large blooms on opposite sides of one long stem. Various colors; grown from a bulb. Check out Barbara's references for starters, an' prob'ly that's all you'll need. Good luck. They are beautiful plants, no fragrance that I've known though.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceFebruary 16, 2011
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Mystery Plant
What is This Garden Plant?
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant