Growing Amaryllis

Category Bulbs
Growing Amaryllis, Red amaryllis blooms.
We are all familiar with the beautiful amaryllis sold around the holidays. These bulbs, originally from South Africa are easily grown outdoors in warmer zones. However, you can successfully grow amaryllis indoors in colder climates. This is a guide about growing amaryllis.

Botanical Name:

Hippeastrum

Life Cycle:

perennial bulb

Planting Time:

spring or summer

Height:

18" to 24"

Exposure:

sunny window sills; sun to partial shade outdoors

Soil:

rich, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

usually rated for zones 9-11

Bloom Time:

6 to 8 week after planting

Flower:

a wide variety of sensational trumpet-shaped blooms

Foliage:

thick, smooth leafless stems

Propagation:

bulbs

Suggested Use:

accents, usually grown as an annual houseplant

Growing Hints:

Amaryllis couldn't be easier to grow. Most garden and home centers offer them for sale during the winter season when they are commonly grown to bloom for the holidays. Although not necessary, soaking the root end of the bulb in water the night before planting will give it a faster start. Place the potted bulbs in a sunny window sill and keep soil moist (not wet) until blooming. Tall plants may need staking. Continue to water until the leaves start to turn yellow and die back. Cut them down and cease watering for 12 weeks. The plant can be brought out of dormancy again after this rest period, but cheaper bulbs may fail to flower a second time or flower less successfully. High quality amaryllis bulbs can produce many flowers at a time for as long as 75 years.

Interesting Facts:

Originally from South Africa, in the language of flowers, Amaryllis means "splendid beauty" or "pride."

Amaryllis bulbs can be planted outdoors to flower in the spring and summer. In most climates they should be wintered indoors. This is a guide about planting amaryllis outdoors.

Amaryllis blooms in a garden outdoors.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If your amaryllis leaf growth comes to a halt, you might need to confirm that the plant is getting the right amount of sunlight, warmth, water, and fertilizer. This is a guide about amaryllis leaves stopped growing.

An amaryllis with green leaves growing.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Amaryllis are grown for their beautiful multiple blooms. When they don't flower it is very disappointing. This is a guide about amaryllis not blooming.

An amaryllis with an unopened bud.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about getting an amaryllis to bloom twice in one season. Given the proper light, planting and temperature you may be able to see an amaryllis bloom again.

An amaryllis in bloom outdoors.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

These beautiful blooms can brighten up the indoors on a late fall day. This page contains amaryllis photos.

An amaryllis in bloom.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I bought an amaryllis and planted it, but it has now reached 2 feet 6 and a half inches tall. It is just about to flower is this normal? I have been told it is not.

By Mary

Answer Was this helpful? 1

That looks about right. Some are taller than others. Good idea to stake it! Also, be sure to rotate it every day or two so it doesn't grow lopsided toward the window.

I was given an amaryllis as a gift. I understood it was to have 4 blooms and some leaves. It had 4 blooms. They died and then it had 5 more. They died and now there is another flower bud growing. Is this unusual?

By Lillian L

I bought an amaryllis at Lowe's 2 years ago for .50 Cents after Christmas as it was a close out. It was already blooming and had 1 small flower I kept it from dieing by keeping it from drying out an it did nothing last year. This year I have the biggest blooms; 3 on one gigantic stock. I think it is because I fed it with African violet food, but it is about 3 and one half feet tall now and everyone says how beautiful it is!

I have an amaryllis that is 3 years old and at least 2 feet tall with multiple blooms. Can I put outside, or should I put in bigger pot first?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Bevupnorth from RI

Go to-how to grow Amaryllis. Lot of info there, good luck.

Today (June 4) I received a Red Lion Amaryllis bulb. It has a double stalk, the taller one being 12 inches high. Each stalk has what appears to be a large bud. It has not been planted in soil and the bulb is very clean. It is pale green in color. It has not been in water either.

My hardiness Zone is 5. What should I do with it at this time of the year. Should I plant outside or in a pot or in water? Should it be kept in the house or outside? How deep should the soil be or the water? Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Anything I have read appears to be advice for spring or winter forcing. Thank you.

By Dawn T. from Racine County, WI

Plant it outside, with just over half the bulb buried, and fertilize it every other week with liquid fertilizer. Dig it up in September and store it in a dark place. You can take it out of storage in the winter and plant it in a pot indoors or wait 'til the risk of frost is past in Spring and plant it outside again. I used to grow amaryllis inside only, but you'll have blooms for more years if you plant them outside in the summer, where the bulb grows larger with sunlight. Enjoy your beautiful flowers!

I live in San Antonio, TX but I do not know my zone. Can amaryllis thrive in the yard? It gets hot here in the summer. Could I plant them under a crape myrtle? Is special soil required? Thank you.

Augusta

Here's a link to your zone finder:

http://www.burp  =1116&KICKER

You should not have a problem growing amaryllis outside, in the ground or potted. My Aunt lives in Houston and has actually pollinated her own amaryllis' and grows all of her's outside. Remember not to bury the bulb completely. My Aunt's bloom beautifully every year in a shady area, so under crepe myrtle should be an excellent place.

Good luck,

Tina

This is the first time the bulb has flowered. Does the bulb multiply like irises?

By Robyn from Adelaide South Australia

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I received this amaryllis for Christmas this year and watched the transformation from the bulb to the green leaves. Now I am waiting to see the transformation of this bulb into stunning petals of beauty.

Photo Location
My home

Comment Like this photo? 4