What is This Plant?

Can anyone identify this wild flower? It seems to be a ground cover. I would like to use it for landscaping. Being it is a native plant, it will probably do very well. I plan on planting it in a pot before the cold weather sets in and keep it in the house. I usually pick some and place it in a small vase in the house. It lasts a very long time, and will keep blooming. I would also appreciate if anyone has a web site that they can recommend that will identify plants and such. I have searched but haven't really found any that were helpful. Thank you.

By mkymlp from NE PA

Cut stems in vase, with orange flowers.

I know that I have seen this plant somewhere and admired it, but I can't remember where or when. The county extension agent or Master Gardeners in your area should be able to help. When you find the answer, please post the results!

Can you give us a close up of the leaf and the flower please?

Picture is blurry but it looks like a trumpet vine.

For ID on plants, a good place to go is www.davesgarden.com. Also, if you join the HGTV site, there are message boards there for gardeners and it is a very active message board. Just today, someone identified a flower for me. You will have to post better closeup pics though for a good ID as others have suggested.

I found it! It is an interesting wild flower and has many different names. This is the info from one web site.

Scarlet Pimpernel... Anagallis arvensis

Scarlet pimpernel flowers are open only when the sun shines; their habit of closing in dull weather has given the plant the name "poor man's weather-glass."

Family: Primrose (Primulaceae)

Habitat: roadsides and waste places, usually in sandy soil

Height: 2-6 inches

Flower size: 1/4 inch across

Flower color: red-orange, occasionally white or blue

Flowering time: June to September

Origin: Europe

This is the web site that I used to identify the plant...

http://www.wildflower.org -- use tab "Explore Plants" then open "Ask Mr. Smarty Plants". You can e-mail them and they will help you identify the flower. This is a very helpful web site.

Mystery Plant
What is This Garden Plant?
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJuly 6, 2009
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Zucchini Plant Not Growing Fruit
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant
Poplar Tree Cutting
Starting Poplar Tree Cuttings